Any recommendations for a conveyancing solicitor?

Used Sweeney Miller recently and seemed ok, albeit I think it’s their newcastle office that we dealt with. They were the partner legal firm for the mortgage providor.

In Sunderland then not a lot of knoweldge of whos any good, McKenzie Bell?

Bigger practices then Ward Hadaway or DWF.

I suggest you avoid Hobson and Latham of Eastbourne, as at least some of their conveyancers are clinical morons

Also avoid Beaumont Legal of Wakefield. They take a battery farm approach to the conveyancing process getting junior staff in to do things as cheaply as possible, and it all goes to cock if things get complicated

I used Cooper Stott Solicitors in Durham a year ago. Not much else to say other than they were competitive on price and always helpful on the phone which is more than you can say for some of them.

I used Mark Cook. Whilst they got everything done fine I found their communication with me wasnt the best. Constantly had to chase them for stuff and was met with very terse responses from their secretary when I did.

How dare I ask you for a small update on the thing I’m paying you for :lol:

Last edited:
I used Mark Cook. Whilst they got everything done fine I found their communication with me wasnt the best. Constantly had to chase them for stuff and was met with very terse responses from their secretary when I did.

I’ve used these (twice) and had the same issues. They generally blame the other side’s solicitor and assume that the buyer and vendor don’t talk directly to each other

Also avoid Beaumont Legal of Wakefield. They take a battery farm approach to the conveyancing process getting junior staff in to do things as cheaply as possible, and it all goes to cock if things get complicated

This. Very sluggish. Will also assume you want to sign up for their will service, do nothing for it and charge you £5 a month for the privilege

MJP conveyancing.

All online but you can call if you need to, very responsive and decent price. I think we completed in 6 or 7 weeks.

I used them after the bloke I was in the middle of using retired and passed his business to them.

They were a disaster. Everything they did had to be corrected by me. An excuse offered by Mark Cook himself for the final cockup was that "arithmetic never was my best subject".

They were cheap, and it showed.

Back