Any Pro Photographers On Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde

Winger
Always been interested in doing it at College/Uni, anyone on here do it for a living?
i think we all wished we could do it for a living, but in think its a hard market to break in to as so many great photographers out these days...doing a course would learn you quite a bit i imagine but i just taught myself by going out and getting busy with the camera, reading forums, trying out ideas that other people have done, its really quite amazing some of the stuff you can learn quite easily.

not spavin

Striker
i think we all wished we could do it for a living, but in think its a hard market to break in to as so many great photographers out these days...doing a course would learn you quite a bit i imagine but i just taught myself by going out and getting busy with the camera, reading forums, trying out ideas that other people have done, its really quite amazing some of the stuff you can learn quite easily.
I work with a lot of pro photographers through work, and I'm not sure I'd fancy it as a job. To make money you have to reply on commercial work, and a lot of that can be soul destroying. The shots themselves aren't the problem, it's being directed by client who wouldn't know one end of a camera from another. A lot of the job is touting for work, doing free jobs to boost profile, and chasing payment.

Plus, with the likes of Flickr opening themselves up to Getty, I can see the Pro Photographers going the same way as journalists - the little guys falling foul of the internet.

I work with a lot of pro photographers through work, and I'm not sure I'd fancy it as a job. To make money you have to reply on commercial work, and a lot of that can be soul destroying. The shots themselves aren't the problem, it's being directed by client who wouldn't know one end of a camera from another. A lot of the job is touting for work, doing free jobs to boost profile, and chasing payment.

Plus, with the likes of Flickr opening themselves up to Getty, I can see the Pro Photographers going the same way as journalists - the little guys falling foul of the internet.
Photography is just more fun as a hobby?

not spavin

Striker
Photography is just more fun as a hobby?
Aye. It would very quickly stop being fun if it was your job, though there's worse ways of earning a living. I'd love to be a photo journalist mind. Just to fuck off to important places with a Leica rangefinder and snap away.

A

APB

I'd be beheaded on the internet within the year, but still - what a year that's be ;)
my dream job too, only wish i'd have tried to head in that direction, or find my love for photography earlier on in life

clyde

Winger

i know what ya mean mate and can imagine that is pretty annoying when someone hasn't got a clue but is trying to tell ya what to do.

just done my first proper paid job for Puma Uk, paid pretty handsome too, if i can keep this up and get one or two things a month from them then that'll do me fine :cool:

I'd love to be a photo journalist mind. Just to fuck off to important places with a Leica rangefinder and snap away.
now that would be amazing indeed, would love to cover something like a warzone or a riot, although i'd be shitting my pants, if i was covering i riot then i could see myself fighting the urge to join in, lol.

A

APB

i know what ya mean mate and can imagine that is pretty annoying when someone hasn't got a clue but is trying to tell ya what to do.

just done my first proper paid job for Puma Uk, paid pretty handsome too, if i can keep this up and get one or two things a month from them then that'll do me fine :cool:

now that would be amazing indeed, would love to cover something like a warzone or a riot, although i'd be shitting my pants, if i was covering i riot then i could see myself fighting the urge to join in, lol.
Congrats mate, any chance of seeing what you done for them... or can you not?

not spavin

Striker

I think doing it as a second job is ideal like. It's when it becomes your sole source of income it becomes a problem.

AB22 Easy Tiger

Nocturnal Tourist
Staff member
my dream job too, only wish i'd have tried to head in that direction, or find my love for photography earlier on in life
Yep. Me too.

Thing is I've been to some very dodgy areas of the world, I've even been held hostage for a short time in China (and treated VERY well) - if only I'd had my camera...I'd be dead by now

Last edited:

AB22 Easy Tiger

Nocturnal Tourist
Staff member
I very rarely used ground transport to get around in China but for some reason I was travelling from Beijing to Dongying by road - I had my interpreter in the car as well as the driver.

We were driving along a deserted motorway and all of a sudden the road just ran out and there was a huge pile of earth in front of us.

My interpreter told me to get on the floor and before we knew it we were surrounded by armed men and a couple of bulldozers.

We were travelling in a large black car and the driver was in uniform so I guess they thought we might have been local government people. The driver and interpreter got out and had guns pointed at them and after a few minutes of intense negotiation the door opened and I was told to get out of the car.

We were all held at gunpoint for what seemed like hours but was probably an hour or so, until the mood suddenly became more relaxed (my interpreter had not shut up since the car stopped) and although it was clear we weren't being allowed to leave we were given drinks and felt in no danger.

After half a day we were allowed to leave and diverted through some tiny villages (who clearly had never seen a car like ours - or maybe any car at all it was so rural). We were allowed through another couple of roadblocks without being challenged.

It turned out that the provincial government were wanting to tear down some villages to continue building the deserted highway and the villagers had taken matters into their own hands.

Really scary at the time but I wish I'd been able to record the incident.

Last edited:
A

APB

Scary shit that like, but then again, what a memory to have, what a story to tell! you could have given it the old "I want to tell your story.... to the world!" they'd have been loving it.

Nice photos Clyde, good job mate

Last edited by a moderator:

Kubicki85

Winger
It's what i really want to do, but getting people interested in just taking notice of your pictures is hard enough, trying to take it further seems impossible right now.

I have just taught myself. Not sure i really could gain anything from doing courses. But if someone could advise me that doing courses would really be useful I'd consider it.

Last edited:
It's what i really want to do, but getting people interested in just taking notice of your pictures is hard enough, trying to take it further seems impossible right now.

I have just taught myself. Not sure i really could gain anything from doing courses. But if someone could advise me that doing courses would really be useful I'd consider it.
Why don't you enter a photograph in the July competition, and see what your fellow smb readers think? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.