Any postmen/women on here

lawe toppa

Winger
Any on here that can offer any information etc please? My brother is considering applying to be a postman but the hours are only 27.50 per week which will leave him with just over a grand a month take home pay, which when you have a family to support is not great. He is really unhappy in his current job and his mental health is starting to suffer. He likes the idea of being out and about every day and getting a bit exercise at the same time but just the wage is putting him off. Is overtime readily available and do you get bonuses etc? Also what is the career progression like? Any informtion would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Sure my mate started on similar terms , suited him at the time, but he got rid of his other job/ business and is now full time as a driver so I think once your in you can move onwards..

Will be better placed people on here to tell you tho...

I would do the interview and ask about overtime then. A bloke I know does c70 hours per week and reckons his office only survives due to overtime. I.e. as much as you want.

That could be only his office mind but by the sound of it, it's unlikely.

If his mental health is starting to suffer and he thinks he'll enjoy the job then he needs to work out if he can survive on the lower wage and do it IMO. Theres nowt worse than hating your job and having to go in everyday for 8 hours.

My partner was on the post up until about 2 years ago.
She was officially only on 20-odd hours a week, but more often than not ended up staying back (to finish her round, and 'cover' others), and got overtime for it.
This may or may not happen everywhere though , she was in North Yorkshire.

She was meant to finish at 2.30pm, but very rarely got away before 4 o'clock.
Some folk wouldn't do the extra (kids to pick up from school etc) and apparently the bosses didn't take too kindly to that.

Best thing to do (imo) is attend an interview (if he gets one) , and ask the questions then.

Cheers for the replies....i think he would take the job if he can get by financially, but that's the sticking point
When we were kids in the 70s and 80s there were people with jobs such as a post man, bus driver, bin man, windaz cleenah etc. who could run a house and 2 kids on their wage. Perhaps the wife went out to work too but most mothers tended to be at home when kids finished school.

Back