Any posties on here...

can clear this up?

Bradford City Council had to post me out a couple of keys (work related). Instead of the postie delivering them he stuck a postcard through my door saying that the sender hadn't put enough postage on and I had to pay £2.
I drove to the sorting office and paid the £2, when I got the letter it did have the stamps on but they had been cut off another envelope - but they were obviously unused and not franked. I pointed this out to the bloke behind the counter and he just repeated that you're not allowed to reuse stamps. I showed him that they hadn't been used and he said it didn't matter, you're not allowed to cut them off another letter.

I had a meeting with the council lass today and mentioned it - she said they'd stuck the keys in an envelope but thought it might rip so cut the stamps off and sellotaped them to the padded envelope. She said that all stamps have to be signed out so it would have been a pain in the arse to get another couple.

Would I have a case in a small claims court?

Court for £2? Really?

Either the Council should just reimburse you, or your work give you money back as it was work related.

I reckon putting selotape over the stamps,making it harder to frank them would be more of an issue than them appearing to be reused.

Hypothetical question. Suppose you stuck a tenner stamp on a parcel and then made a mistake with the address, this means that you would have to buy another stamp.

I reckon putting selotape over the stamps,making it harder to frank them would be more of an issue than them appearing to be reused.
Putting sellotape over the stamps makes it impossible to reuse them, franked or not.

Hypothetical question. Suppose you stuck a tenner stamp on a parcel and then made a mistake with the address, this means that you would have to buy another stamp.

Putting sellotape over the stamps makes it impossible to reuse them, franked or not.
Aye,but surely that means that they don't know if it's been used before either....

Small claims :lol:
Im sure we can all club together and get you your 2 quid back. Ill hoy 10p in.
What about my time and fuel? I'm a busy man man.

Aye,but surely that means that they don't know if it's been used before either....
You could see they hadn't been franked, and the postie agreed. I told him that there was no reason for anyone working for the council to fuck about reusing stamps.

Last edited:
What about my time and fuel? I'm a busy man man.

You could see they hadn't been franked, and the postie agreed. I told him that there was no reason for anyone working for the council to fuck about reusing stamps.
Who knows,was it the same bloke who refused delivery in the first place? As we say,if you can't frank it due to the selotape,then how does one know it hasn't been franked?

Who knows,was it the same bloke who refused delivery in the first place? As we say,if you can't frank it due to the selotape,then how does one know it hasn't been franked?
He said that wasn't the issue. He said you're not allowed to cut stamps off other envelopes, even if they haven't been used.

If they had been through the system before they would have been franked. So then if you cut them off the envelope and stick them on with sellotape you would still see the frank mark. These were brand new.

Last edited:

Back