Any one play chess

I wasn't overly impressed.

Supposed to be around the main character's battle with susbtance abuse but you never quite feel she's in a terrible situation, so the whole thing loses its edge.

Quite an uninspiring, saccharine last episode as well.

Ive found it interesting, especially with respect to how she became an addict in the first place.

I managed to find an electronic chess set that I had when I was a bairn. Sphinx Sierra. Bit nostalgia, it came out in 1992!

Bought it off eBay for 25 quid.

The idea is if I get into it I can always upgrade to a more expensive / modern (posher) one.

Just started playing computer chess but lose every time.

Any tips?
If you have an android phone go to play store and download the free app

Chess - clash of Kings........ It has 10 levels... 1 is for absolute beginners and you won't get beat and go through the levels

I'm currently stuck on level 7.....

Brilliant app for all levels...

I started playing this year again. I learned the basics years ago.

I was playing at the lowest level and getting beaten every time.

All I did was slow down and start to look around the board. The difference was remarkable and while still playing at a fairly low level I can now win regularly.

If you have an android phone go to play store and download the free app

Chess - clash of Kings........ It has 10 levels... 1 is for absolute beginners and you won't get beat and go through the levels

I'm currently stuck on level 7.....

Brilliant app for all levels...

Just tried it... maybe OK for total beginners but I found the first few levels far too easy with the computer moving pieces almost at random. Got through the first 4 levels over a coffee. There are loads of other chess apps available so I'd recommend trying a few to find one which suits you.

Still getting beat

Never know whether to attack or defend

If you are a total beginner then learn how to attack and force mate. Defence strategy can come later when you play better opponents first but you need to know how to win.

Novice players (or computers set to a beginner mode) will always make mistakes so you will get some wins under your belt. Learn some basic tactical moves - pins, forks, discovered attacks and when to make sacrifices. There are loads of good resources online.

Just started playing computer chess but lose every time.

Any tips?
What you playing on? I’ll give you a game on Chess.com.

I honestly couldn’t play then slowly got the hang of it and started to win a few games and really close on most others and only been playing about a year. Not played a game in months mind.

My user name is GoatEyes

When Chess clubs open up after the Covid-19 vaccine takes effect get down to one of the local chess clubs. The playing standard varies enormously unless it's Durham University ( they only play competitively) but you will improve after a few pastings. Just Google Durham Chess Association and there will be a club near you.

Still getting beat

Never know whether to attack or defend
My Brother in Law taught me back in the 1970s - was nearly two years before I first beat him and you must be looking at near enough 20 games per week. There was no timing or recording of games, but we would briefly mention where I went wrong in each game. Mind, some games as white I would just go all out to attack - would be great fun until the wheels fell off and I found myself desperately trying to defend with half of my pieces around the board with little cross support.

If you are not sure about attacking then rule of thumb is attack but note what move number you are on. If things go all tits-up then go back to that move and try again. Or keep on using the same style of attack for a run of games and see if you can get further along before you hit trouble.

Playing as white only should help you speed your development up as you are almost forced to attack by dint of having the first move. I then have an easier time playing black because you are almost being taught defence by knowing how the computer had responded to you in previous games.

Back