Any monitor experts?

PTR

Striker
Finding it a bit tricky to understand the difference between these 3 LG ultrawide 29" monitors.
Model numbers 29WK500, 29UM68 & 29UM59
I can see one has built in speakers, which I wouldn't use anyway. Apart from that, is there any difference?

When put in a comparison table, they are practically the same. Resolutions, response times etc
I actually have 2 of these in the office
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-25UM58-...&qid=1543398461&sr=1-2&keywords=lg+widescreen
I've contacted LG, to see if there's any actual difference (newer panels, etc). I can see there is a difference in the bezel too, and whether they have DP, or speakers.

I've got 2 x 24" normal BENQ monitors at the moment, but I sit a bit close, and they are a bit "off". A single ultrawide would probably do me. When I game, I usually play in a window anyway (so I can see another screen at the same time - which isn't always something that works if you play full screen), so seems a good fit.

I've contacted LG, to see if there's any actual difference (newer panels, etc). I can see there is a difference in the bezel too, and whether they have DP, or speakers.

I think the above will be the main difference like, when you put them in a comparison table, it said one of the monitors was a LCD, while the rest were LED. But if you changed the order of the monitors, they all went to LED.

Good luck!

I think the above will be the main difference like, when you put them in a comparison table, it said one of the monitors was a LCD, while the rest were LED. But if you changed the order of the monitors, they all went to LED.

Good luck!
No such thing as an LED monitor.
They are all LCD screens (IPS in this case).

The LED is merely the backlight. Which everything is these days anyway AFAIK

No such thing as an LED monitor.
They are all LCD screens (IPS in this case).

The LED is merely the backlight. Which everything is these days anyway AFAIK

Aye, it had them listed as IPS LED. Just a selling tool to make everything seem shiny

LG Replied:

UPDATE: Received a reply from LG - Not bad really, inside 24hrs!
In regards to this there are a few minor differences between these 3 models, the 29um59 would be considered the lowest specification of these 3 models as it supports the basic functions of the other 2 but does not have some of the additional features. Next would be the 29wk500 which supports a few extra picture pre-set options such as cinema 1 and 2, game mode and fps game mode and rts game mode, as well as super resolution + which is a post process that improves the picture quality. The 29um68 is the highest end model of these 3 as it supports display port connection, has the same picture pre-sets as the 29wk500, has speakers built in, however it does also use more power than the other 2 models as well meaning its less energy efficient.

Looks like I'll go for the cheaper wk500 one!

Plus, ebay have a canny voucher available for 10-15% off :D

Last edited:
Watch with ultra wide as I found the resolution to be a bit rubbish in the cheaper ones when I had one. And went with. 27” 1440 instead.

Watch with ultra wide as I found the resolution to be a bit rubbish in the cheaper ones when I had one. And went with. 27” 1440 instead.
Aye, if I'd had £500 to throw at it, I'd have gone 32" and 1440p, but this cost me £150 (and I'll get about £100 back from selling the 2 I have)

Tested it last night, it does look very good. Oddly, despite being 27", the vertical height of the screen is 2cm less than my current 24" ones.

Back