Any mechanics!

Mike J

Winger
Passat 2011 1.6 diesel blue motion, clutch pedal stuck to the floor! How much is this going to cost to repair?? Currently sat waiting for a recovery truck.

Clutch cable snapped.
Same happened to me at that SOL food festival the first time it was on. Probably less than £100 fitted tbh

(If anyone was at the food festival, and saw an RX8 parked up next to the audi dealers, that was the one!)

Clutch cable snapped.
Same happened to me at that SOL food festival the first time it was on. Probably less than £100 fitted tbh

(If anyone was at the food festival, and saw an RX8 parked up next to the audi dealers, that was the one!)

this is what i'd have guessed at too.

Same thing happened to me few month ago, clutch dead to the floor. Had to get new clutch and dual mass flywheel. Hope you've got some savings cos it's gonna be expensive!

Cheers for the replies folks, I bloody hope it’s not expensive, but as I was telling somebody the other day, it has never had a major fault and owes me nothing, I suspect it’s major! It’s got 108k on it so I can’t grumble.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies folks, I bloody hope it’s not expensive, but as I was telling somebody the other day, it has never had a major fault and owes me nothing, I suspect it’s major! It’s got 108k on it so I can’t grumble.
sounds like the concentric slave cylinder has gone , if it is inside the gearbox which a lot are its a big job. you might aswell replace the clutch whilst the gearbox is out.

is there any fluid on the ground and has your brake fluid dropped? that is usualy the sign it is that.

sounds like the concentric slave cylinder has gone , if it is inside the gearbox which a lot are its a big job. you might aswell replace the clutch whilst the gearbox is out.

is there any fluid on the ground and has your brake fluid dropped? that is usualy the sign it is that.

Haven’t seen any fluid, and no lights on dash about brakes etc, but haven’t been under the car!

At 108k I would prob get the clutch done as well, it’s had a bit a squeak / squeal for a while when you pull away. I did mention it to the garage but they didn’t seem concerned.

Clutch cable snapped.

Any hot starting issues? I had one when they were new and it was great, a 231. Loved the drive of it but horrendous on petrol.

Any hot starting issues? I had one when they were new and it was great, a 231. Loved the drive of it but horrendous on petrol.
Nope. 231 too, it was lovely. Clutch was heavy a fuck though, had to buy "driving shoes" cos I got a bruised foot :lol:
Yeah, 18mpg was about normal!

Pretty sure it's an external slave cylinder but away from desk
Bust clutch master is my guess
Haven’t seen any fluid, and no lights on dash about brakes etc, but haven’t been under the car!

At 108k I would prob get the clutch done as well, it’s had a bit a squeak / squeal for a while when you pull away. I did mention it to the garage but they didn’t seem concerned.
Just read the squeal bit ,sounds like thrust bearing has collapsed
Not good

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's an external slave cylinder but away from desk
Bust clutch master is my guess

Just read the squeal bit ,sounds like thrust bearing has collapsed
Not good

The squeal sounds like a thrust bearing (I had that on a very old car) I didn’t realise cars still had thrust bearings, my knowledge is so out of date it’s untrue!

The car is now outside a garage, I’ll go and talk to them tomorrow and work out what the best course of action is, and if it’s worth repairing. Might be time for a change.

I’m a fully qualified mechanic with 11 years experience. Got my C&G and everything. I was a fairly shit one though and I haven’t done it since 1995. Soz like.

Whilst we're on the subject of shit cars (nee offence) anyone know how much for Scenic 08 flywheel replacement (scrapyard, refurb, or new) incl labour to fit

Whilst we're on the subject of shit cars (nee offence) anyone know how much for Scenic 08 flywheel replacement (scrapyard, refurb, or new) incl labour to fit
Is it Dual Mass? If so you’ll be looking at a grand.

Must got new / aftermarket, never used.

Back