Any mechanics!

You can also save money buying thr parts yourself and just getting the garage to fit ( so you only pay for his/her time) I paid £350 for my mondeo DMF and clutch kit last year and £130 for labour costs ( garage behind Hylton Road)
Worst advice ever imo especially on high value jobs .For a few quid more the garage guarantees the parts and labour .Your way you pay labour again and fanny on with the parts supplier for a swap .

Also, there are DMF conversion kits that replaces it with a solid flywheel.

Not ideal but could work if you’re worried about the future expense.

So my usual garage is quoting approx £1k for full clutch, flywheel, master & slave cylinders. A ‘lad’ I know reckons he will do it for £430, he works at an MOT station and I know is a qualified MOT tester, he reckons it doesn’t have a dual mass flywheel.

Any thoughts? £430 feels very cheap, which makes me nervous!

So my usual garage is quoting approx £1k for full clutch, flywheel, master & slave cylinders. A ‘lad’ I know reckons he will do it for £430, he works at an MOT station and I know is a qualified MOT tester, he reckons it doesn’t have a dual mass flywheel.

A couple of bits of advice, but good quality branded parts, there’s some absolute gash about. Ask Jazzman. Pay for what you get.

Check he can do the job. A pizza delivery boy can become an MOT tester if they pass the test.

A couple of bits of advice, but good quality branded parts, there’s some absolute gash about. Ask Jazzman. Pay for what you get.

Check he can do the job. A pizza delivery boy can become an MOT tester if they pass the test.

This is my concern, the guy I normal use who has quoted £1k has always been fantastic, but it’s chunky money, and I’m not sure if it’s worth doing or getting a new car! Does 1k seem decent for the job? As I say I have no idea if it has a dual mass flywheel

This is my concern, the guy I normal use who has quoted £1k has always been fantastic, but it’s chunky money, and I’m not sure if it’s worth doing or getting a new car! Does 1k seem decent for the job? As I say I have no idea if it has a dual mass flywheel
It’s ballpark but you’re right, it’s a big chunk of money.

Speak to Jazzman about a good middle of the road kit and price it up. Add £300 fitting on top.

If the car is a shed and you’re only servicing it till it dies go cheap but that could honestly last 1 week or 1 year with some of the crap.

Go for an luk 3 part clutch kit and flywheel they are decent quality.

We had similar with a mk4 golf years ago. DMF and clutch. Few garages quoted 900+
One in Durham next to soccer arena done it for 450. Had no problems with it.
Not sure how they managed to do it for half what the others wanted.

Done that it gives me a three piece clutch option or a semi automatic two clutch, well it’s not a semi automatic, but I’ve no idea if a three piece clutch means it’s a dual mass flywheel.
You’re not looking for the clutch you’re searching for a flywheel.
We had similar with a mk4 golf years ago. DMF and clutch. Few garages quoted 900+
One in Durham next to soccer arena done it for 450. Had no problems with it.
Not sure how they managed to do it for half what the others wanted.

It’ll be cheaper parts. Like is say they’re a lottery. Glad you got something decent.

You’re not looking for the clutch you’re searching for a flywheel.

Ok, right it’s a solid flywheel so this explains the price difference, my usual garage are quoting to change it, the other lad isn’t. My usual garage are going to take a proper look on Monday and see if all of the parts need replacing.

It’ll be cheaper parts. Like is say they’re a lottery. Glad you got something decent.

Right this makes sense. So solid flywheel means that it shouldn’t need replacing unless it’s been ridden like made and has excessive heat spots. It’s rare.

But a good, reputable garage would always give you worst case when taking a gearbox out as once it’s out, it’s out. You’ll pay the labour regardless of whether you opt to repair or not.

Worst advice ever imo especially on high value jobs .For a few quid more the garage guarantees the parts and labour .Your way you pay labour again and fanny on with the parts supplier for a swap .
If you have the knowledge to do it yourself would you still pay a garage? For instance LUK give you a warranty on the parts the same as if the garage buys it. If I had the time I would have done it myself ( I'm a mechanical fitter) the garage isn't giving you a warranty on the parts it's giving you a warranty on the fitting.

Right this makes sense. So solid flywheel means that it shouldn’t need replacing unless it’s been ridden like made and has excessive heat spots. It’s rare.

But a good, reputable garage would always give you worst case when taking a gearbox out as once it’s out, it’s out. You’ll pay the labour regardless of whether you opt to repair or not.

Cheers, it’s taken me a while to get my head round the two different quotes, but I’m going to stick my garage that I know and trust, I know they are more expensive then a back street garage, but they have always looked after me, and I have much more faith in them doing the right job.

Back