Any mechanics out there?

If the belt went white you were driving, isn't there a good chance then engine is fucked and you'd only know after fitting the new belt??
That's what happened with my mates meriva. They told him not to bother trying.

If the belt went white you were driving, isn't there a good chance then engine is fucked and you'd only know after fitting the new belt??
That's what happened with my mates meriva. They told him not to bother trying.
No, he said its the fan belt. Loose his power steering and alternator thats all.

No, he said its the fan belt. Loose his power steering and alternator thats all.

This, hes said its making a strange noise now so must still run. As Yamar has said, if you need the car and will be using it daily just get the timing belt and water pump changed mate, if it goes it's £1000 repair or engine swap, take this as a lucky escape.

Can anyone give me a rough guide how much it would cost for a new fan belt and timing belt for an 06 Astra?

Cheers in advance
Aye PM me your reg ,has it got air con ?

Can we get a Flag come up on some posts saying
DONT COMMENT UNTIL YOU READ THE LOT !!
glad your sorted

Last edited:
The first thing I do after picking up a second hand vehicle is get the belts done (unless I see an official receipt with the reg and shit on), cost 260 for my van from Vulcan motors. He said the suppliers quoted and sent the wrong kit first and the one for my van was actually 30 quid more. However he stuck with the original quote. Good lads and will be getting my business from now on.

Back