Any mechanics out there?

Can anyone give me a rough guide how much it would cost for a new fan belt and timing belt for an 06 Astra?

Cheers in advance

Mine snapped recently whilst driving, thankfully it was still under warranty so I didn’t have to pay but as well as the new belt, water pump etc they had to replace a quarter of the engine as when the belt snaps it fucks the engine.

Garage said it would have been about £800 in parts and labour if it hadn’t still been in warranty.

Yes it snapped while driving mate

If you think what your timing belt does. It keeps the valves opening and closing at the right time in relation to the pistons. If that belt is snapped there is a good chance that multiple valves will be at their most open/lowest point when the still moving piston came towards them very quickly. At best you need new valves, at worst a valve head snapped off and bounced around in the cylinder while the engine was slowing down, taking chunks out of every surface in the process.

If the timing belt snaps, your best off looking for a replacement engine on ebay and doing a swap. I know people who have had the cylinder head and valves repaired properly only for the bottom end to chuck a con rod out the side of the casing 500miles later.

The recovery lad has confirmed the fan belt has snapped but the timing belt is ok.

Just left with a sort of squeek and grinding noise now.....any ideas?

It's in the garage to be looked at in the morning

The recovery lad has confirmed the fan belt has snapped but the timing belt is ok.

you should get the timing belt done as well then if its never been changed. once the new auxiliary belt is fitted the noises may go, could be the tentioners and pulleys rattling around as they will not be under load with the belt not on them.

Ah thats quite different then. The fan belt runs from a pulley attached to the crank, around things like the alternator, the air con compressor and power steering pump. It loops round in a specific pattern, there is nearly always a pulley that is just there to tension the belt. It is usually on a spring so you can pull it back to replace the belt and it has some give for engine vibrations. If it is squealing that means the belt is loose, so it could have been put on in the wrong pattern, or the pulley has seized so it isn't applying enough pressure to get the belt upto the correct tension. Either way the mechanic should know.

If you think what your timing belt does. It keeps the valves opening and closing at the right time in relation to the pistons. If that belt is snapped there is a good chance that multiple valves will be at their most open/lowest point when the still moving piston came towards them very quickly. At best you need new valves, at worst a valve head snapped off and bounced around in the cylinder while the engine was slowing down, taking chunks out of every surface in the process.

If the timing belt snaps, your best off looking for a replacement engine on ebay and doing a swap. I know people who have had the cylinder head and valves repaired properly only for the bottom end to chuck a con rod out the side of the casing 500miles later.
Logon or register to see this image

Back