Any IT geeks? New Laptop time

I would suggest you future proof as much as you possible can. We are never going back to work like before. Thats gone. Remote working and the ability to handle large complex docs/files will be needed. Also the capacity to work with images and video formats.

If you had been abducted tonight by the aliens you could have got some cracking gear off them. Shame really.

Bump. Also in the lookout for a laptop around 300 benk that will run FM20. :lol:

I've got an old laptop that I've considered buying an SSD for and upgrading but I don't think I'm capable of doing that without supervision from someone who knows what they're doing. How much would a computer shop charge for it?

Bump. Also in the lookout for a laptop around 300 benk that will run FM20. :lol:

I've got an old laptop that I've considered buying an SSD for and upgrading but I don't think I'm capable of doing that without supervision from someone who knows what they're doing. How much would a computer shop charge for it?
What laptop do you have at the moment, I'm sure there'll be a guide as to how to upgrade the SSD if the specs are worthwhile.

Piece of piss switching out the HD.

It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50 that I've dug out the cupboard, not been used for about 2 years.
i3 / i5?

Upgrade looks like an absolute doddle

Probably worth doubling the RAM and sticking a 256GB+ SSD 2.5" HDD in there. Fresh install of Windows 10 and you're away.

i3 / i5?

Probably worth doubling the RAM and sticking a 256GB+ SSD 2.5" HDD in there. Fresh install of Windows 10 and you're away.

i3.

Funnily enough I've just watched that video. The physical side looks fine, I took the back off this yesterday to fix the charging port which was damaged so I'm alright with that.

It's this cloning of the OS and that part I'm clueless on, I don't have a copy of Windows either, it's just installed on the laptop.

Ignore my last post, edit time ran out

i3 / i5?
4gb / 8 gb? If 4, upgrade it to 8.
Windows 7 still? If so, upgrade that to Win 10 before you do anything else. Its free.

£35 for SSD - Crucial BX500 240GB - SSD Ebuyer
£22 for another 4Gb stick of ram: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Laptop Memory - CT51264BF160B | Ebuyer.com

Once everything is done, use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick for a clean install of Windows 10, and it'll be like a brand new machine. For £60, it'll be better than a £250 laptop, and reasonable close to a new £300 one.

caveat, probably worth checking the ram with the crucial tester before buying anything.
It's this cloning of the OS and that part I'm clueless on, I don't have a copy of Windows either, it's just installed on the laptop.
i3 is a shame, but it's still ok

Forget cloning, its a horrible way to go. Make a good backup on the existing HDD. Then stick it in a caddy. Then you have a proper offline backup.
Media creation tool from MS is free and will give you a clean OS. Far better. Make sure you do the free Win10 upgrade FIRST though.

Last edited:
Ignore my last post, edit time ran out

i3 / i5?
4gb / 8 gb? If 4, upgrade it to 8.
Windows 7 still? If so, upgrade that to Win 10 before you do anything else. Its free.

£35 for SSD - Crucial BX500 240GB - SSD Ebuyer
£22 for another 4Gb stick of ram: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Laptop Memory - CT51264BF160B | Ebuyer.com

Once everything is done, use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick for a clean install of Windows 10, and it'll be like a brand new machine. For £60, it'll be better than a £250 laptop, and reasonable close to a new £300 one.

caveat, probably worth checking the ram with the crucial tester before buying anything.

i3 is a shame, but it's still ok

Forget cloning, its a horrible way to go. Make a good backup on the existing HDD. Then stick it in a caddy. Then you have a proper offline backup.
Media creation tool from MS is free and will give you a clean OS. Far better. Make sure you do the free Win10 upgrade FIRST though.

Really helpful, cheers mate. Plenty of time on my hands over the weekends at the minute so I'll give it a go.

New Deal:

Lenovo IdeaPad 5i 14:
i3-1005G1 (2 Core, 4 thread)
8GB
256GB
FHD IPS
£315.89

Its not click and go though, you need to sign up first: Communication Preferences | Lenovo UK
Then wait for your codes coming through.

Also seems there may be an extra discount you can apply using either of these 2 codes
EXCLUSIVENJ!
OR
EXCLUSIVENHS!

Most importantly though, you will need to buy your own Windows 10 license key (off ebay) for around £10-15 - they are totally legit codes though.
Bonus - you get a proper clean version of Windows from Day 1, which I always do on any new laptop anyway.

Also, I think you can customise it - so you could upgrade the CPU to the i5 to get a full 4 Core. Or even add a GPU for light/moderate gaming.

I just bought a 2nd hand Hp EliteBook 840G3 for £349 and it's awesome. It's really a business PC so probably no good for gaming but it's an I5, 6th Gen, 512Gb SSD, 16GB RAM and touchscreen. Boots in about 15 seconds max and great so far...

Can anyone recommend beginner/easy ways to upgrade this please?:

HP Pavilion 17-f217ng (Pavilion 17-ab Series)
Processor
Intel Core i5-5200U
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 830M - 2048 MB, Core: 1082-1150 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz, DDR3, 64 bit interface, ForceWare 350.12 (9.18.13.5012), Optimus
Memory
8192 MB

, DDR3-1600, single-channel,
Display
17.3 inch 16:9, 1600 x 900 pixel, Samsung, TN LED, glossy: yes
Mainboard
Intel Broadwell-U PCH-LP (Premium)
Storage
HGST Travelstar 5K1000 HTS541075A9E680, 750 GB

, 5400 rpm, 750 GB free
Weight
2.82 kg ( = 99.47 oz / 6.22 pounds), Power Supply: 361 g ( = 12.73 oz / 0.8 pounds)

Processor
Intel Core i5-5200U
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 830M - 2048 MB, Core: 1082-1150 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz, DDR3, 64 bit interface, ForceWare 350.12 (9.18.13.5012), Optimus
Memory
8192 MB

, DDR3-1600, single-channel,
Display
17.3 inch 16:9, 1600 x 900 pixel, Samsung, TN LED, glossy: yes
Mainboard
Intel Broadwell-U PCH-LP (Premium)
Storage
HGST Travelstar 5K1000 HTS541075A9E680, 750 GB

, 5400 rpm, 750 GB free
Weight
2.82 kg ( = 99.47 oz / 6.22 pounds), Power Supply: 361 g ( = 12.73 oz / 0.8 pounds)

Most noticeable increase will be replacing that really slow HDD with a SSD, you'll get insane improvements there.

Then see what the RAM is, is it a single stick of 8, or 2x4? If it's a single stick of 8, buy another (of same spec) and whack that in. If it's 2x4 you can chuck those away and buy 2x8.

But the biggest speed increase will be from the HDD -> SSD change.

Some guides and options on here too:

Should be a simple case of unscrewing the flaps (oo err) on the bottom and replacing what's already there.

Processor Intel Core i5-5200U
Graphics adapter NVIDIA GeForce 830M - 2048 MB, Core: 1082-1150 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz, DDR3, 64 bit interface, ForceWare 350.12 (9.18.13.5012), Optimus
Memory 8192 MB , DDR3-1600, single-channel,
Display 17.3 inch 16:9, 1600 x 900 pixel, Samsung, TN LED, glossy: yes
StorageHGST Travelstar 5K1000 HTS541075A9E680, 750 GB , 5400 rpm, 750 GB free

CPU and GPU are very rarely upgradeable, but with a 900p screen, a slightly older graphics card will do well - plus, its actually dedicated graphics, which is always MILES better than the normal intel crap.

8Gb is most likely absolutely fine unless you do stuff that really needs more - OR your graphics chip has nicked 2Gb of it. If so, could be worth doubling it, but 90% of the time, nah.

Like already said, the answer is - Buy a frikken SSD and stick that HDD in a £10 caddy as your new backup disk. Don't clone it, take the opportunity to do a full and proper backup, and then use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (its free and legal) to install a fresh copy of windows onto the new disk. That's the best way.
Something like this: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-...d=1&keywords=crucial+bx&qid=1587541658&sr=8-5

You'll think you have a brand new laptop.

Last edited:
Thank you both! This part is like japanese to me:

"Don't clone it, take the opportunity to do a full and proper backup, and then use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (its free and legal) to install a fresh copy of windows onto the new disk. That's the best way."

Mind, have a good look at how it comes apart first. Some laptops have a nice panel that lets you in. Others need you to take half the thing apart. Although a good clean probably isn't a bad idea.
Thank you both! This part is like japanese to me:

"Don't clone it, take the opportunity to do a full and proper backup, and then use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (its free and legal) to install a fresh copy of windows onto the new disk. That's the best way."

SSDs usually come with software that lets you copy your stuff over - but its a crap idea, as you carry over all your crap that's slowing the laptop down. Just do a fresh install of windows once you've replaced the HDD with the SSD.

Here's the link - Download Windows 10

Just make sure you know your windows 10 code first. You do have windows 10, yes? If you're still on 7, you really need to upgrade that (its free) first - then your windows 7 code becomes a valid windows 10 code for you to use on the SSD.

Last edited:

Back