Any IT geeks? New Laptop time

Big Jeff

Subs Bench
I would suggest you future proof as much as you possible can. We are never going back to work like before. Thats gone. Remote working and the ability to handle large complex docs/files will be needed. Also the capacity to work with images and video formats.

If you had been abducted tonight by the aliens you could have got some cracking gear off them. Shame really.

James

Striker
Bump. Also in the lookout for a laptop around 300 benk that will run FM20. :lol:

I've got an old laptop that I've considered buying an SSD for and upgrading but I don't think I'm capable of doing that without supervision from someone who knows what they're doing. How much would a computer shop charge for it?

PTR

Striker
Bump. Also in the lookout for a laptop around 300 benk that will run FM20. :lol:

I've got an old laptop that I've considered buying an SSD for and upgrading but I don't think I'm capable of doing that without supervision from someone who knows what they're doing. How much would a computer shop charge for it?
What laptop do you have at the moment, I'm sure there'll be a guide as to how to upgrade the SSD if the specs are worthwhile.

Piece of piss switching out the HD.

PTR

Striker
It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50 that I've dug out the cupboard, not been used for about 2 years.
i3 / i5?

Upgrade looks like an absolute doddle

Probably worth doubling the RAM and sticking a 256GB+ SSD 2.5" HDD in there. Fresh install of Windows 10 and you're away.

James

Striker
i3 / i5?

Probably worth doubling the RAM and sticking a 256GB+ SSD 2.5" HDD in there. Fresh install of Windows 10 and you're away.
i3.

Funnily enough I've just watched that video. The physical side looks fine, I took the back off this yesterday to fix the charging port which was damaged so I'm alright with that.

It's this cloning of the OS and that part I'm clueless on, I don't have a copy of Windows either, it's just installed on the laptop.

PTR

Striker
Ignore my last post, edit time ran out

i3 / i5?
4gb / 8 gb? If 4, upgrade it to 8.
Windows 7 still? If so, upgrade that to Win 10 before you do anything else. Its free.

£35 for SSD - Crucial BX500 240GB - SSD Ebuyer
£22 for another 4Gb stick of ram: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Laptop Memory - CT51264BF160B | Ebuyer.com

Once everything is done, use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick for a clean install of Windows 10, and it'll be like a brand new machine. For £60, it'll be better than a £250 laptop, and reasonable close to a new £300 one.

caveat, probably worth checking the ram with the crucial tester before buying anything.
It's this cloning of the OS and that part I'm clueless on, I don't have a copy of Windows either, it's just installed on the laptop.
i3 is a shame, but it's still ok

Forget cloning, its a horrible way to go. Make a good backup on the existing HDD. Then stick it in a caddy. Then you have a proper offline backup.
Media creation tool from MS is free and will give you a clean OS. Far better. Make sure you do the free Win10 upgrade FIRST though.

Last edited:

James

Striker
Ignore my last post, edit time ran out

i3 / i5?
4gb / 8 gb? If 4, upgrade it to 8.
Windows 7 still? If so, upgrade that to Win 10 before you do anything else. Its free.

£35 for SSD - Crucial BX500 240GB - SSD Ebuyer
£22 for another 4Gb stick of ram: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Laptop Memory - CT51264BF160B | Ebuyer.com

Once everything is done, use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick for a clean install of Windows 10, and it'll be like a brand new machine. For £60, it'll be better than a £250 laptop, and reasonable close to a new £300 one.

caveat, probably worth checking the ram with the crucial tester before buying anything.

i3 is a shame, but it's still ok

Forget cloning, its a horrible way to go. Make a good backup on the existing HDD. Then stick it in a caddy. Then you have a proper offline backup.
Media creation tool from MS is free and will give you a clean OS. Far better. Make sure you do the free Win10 upgrade FIRST though.
Really helpful, cheers mate. Plenty of time on my hands over the weekends at the minute so I'll give it a go.

Reactions: PTR