Any house alarm engineers get on here

Whats the problem?

Last night when I got home from work it the keypad next to front door wasn't lit and none of the buttons worked. The main unit doesn't have a keypad so I couldn't cancel the alarm. It is on a separate fuse in main fuse box so I tripped the fuse but the alarm kept sounding. I therefore opened the main unit and disconnected the battery which stopped the ringing internally. The outside alarm ran for around 20 minutes then stopped.

The alarm is around 11 years old and has been in the house since new. Alarm has never needed maintenance previously. Keypad is Scantronic 9427 if that helps.

My question is does it just sound like the keypad is knackered something else ?

Last night when I got home from work it the keypad next to front door wasn't lit and none of the buttons worked. The main unit doesn't have a keypad so I couldn't cancel the alarm. It is on a separate fuse in main fuse box so I tripped the fuse but the alarm kept sounding. I therefore opened the main unit and disconnected the battery which stopped the ringing internally. The outside alarm ran for around 20 minutes then stopped.

The alarm is around 11 years old and has been in the house since new. Alarm has never needed maintenance previously. Keypad is Scantronic 9427 if that helps.

Check the fuses inside the main unit.

An old system it could be the pad, maybee a break in the wire going to the pad. Or could be something in the main unit pcb itself. If you are handy with a multimeter their will be a multicore cable going from the main unit to the keypad, hopefully it is labeled inside the main unit. Test it for continuity and check you are getting 12v between the red and black. If so possibly the keypad is broke.

Ebay is canny for second hand alarm parts as it will be discontinued now no doubt.

Last edited:

Could it be the battery? and the keypad is wired wrong getting power from the battery. It would be worth testing the battery first, is it similar to a motorbike battery?

Could it be the battery? and the keypad is wired wrong getting power from the battery. It would be worth testing the battery first, is it similar to a motorbike battery?

I was wondering that ... battery is smaller than a motorbike battery.
Check the fuses inside the main unit.

An old system it could be the pad, maybee a break in the wire going to the pad. Or could be something in the main unit pcb itself. If you are handy with a multimeter their will be a multicore cable going from the main unit to the keypad, hopefully it is labeled inside the main unit. Test it for continuity and check you are getting 12v between the red and black. If so possibly the keypad is broke.

Ebay is canny for second hand alarm parts as it will be discontinued now no doubt.

Unfortunately I'm not that handy with electrics so maybe best I call a professional to take a look at it. I did notice when I had the main unit open the cables were all labelled which hopefully makes it a simpler fix.

The keypad itself wouldn't have a battery in it would it ?

Last edited:
I was wondering that ... battery is smaller than a motorbike battery.

Unfortunately I'm not that handy with electrics so maybe best I call a professional to take a look at it. I did notice when I had the main unit open the cables were all labelled which hopefully makes it a simpler fix.

The keypad itself wouldn't have a battery in it would it ?
Usually powered from the main PCB.

A lot of electricians are au fait with alarms. it could have a battery (google it) and it should have a fuse between the keypad and main unit - check that.

There's part of your problem.

It’ll definitely be the quick blow fuse to the keypad. Normally marked RKP. Or the aux fuse.
A lot of electricians are au fait with alarms. it could have a battery (google it) and it should have a fuse between the keypad and main unit - check that.
Never seen one in my life. Not saying they don’t exist but a remote key pad on a mains power pcb would have no use for a separate battery.

Back