Any Home Network gurus on here?

PTR

Striker
I'm getting corrupted files when I transfer from my Win10 Laptop to my USB HDD attached to my NVidia Sheild.

I first noticed that all the content I was downloading was glitchy and unwatchable, and when I checked the message log in VLC player, its full of errors. So I zipped up a known-good file, and if I transfer it over and then back, it won't unzip again.

Struggling to fix this, I've already eliminated a bunch of things that I thought it was (like a bad HDD, or a bad app running on the shield) - any ideas?
I just tried it via WiFi instead of cabled, and it was fine. So why does that change anything? I've tried a different ethernet cable already, and that didn't make a difference.

Last edited:

Can you do owt right? You are always on here asking to fix your bodge DIY jobs or home electronics.
Only joking

Can you do owt right? You are always on here asking to fix your bodge DIY jobs or home electronics.
Only joking
:) The fucker worked perfect for over a year, then when the babies arrived I stopped using it - and now I want it again, the damned thing is playing up. Spent f***ing hours trying to sort it, ruling out one thing or another - and now I'm almost at a loss.
Dodgy network card on one side?
It would have to be on the shield side if so, as the issue also happens when its just the shield downloading stuff from the internet (i.e. not going via my laptop)
In which case I'm fucked.

Sounds like this. Or possibly the driver. Could try going into devices and disabling then reenabling your network card, or check for updates.
As per last update, its not actually the laptop that's causing the issue - not much I can do on the shield side.

realised there's one more thing I can try. I can remove the switch and the cabling-involved by moving the sheild over to my desk and connecting it directly into the router. That'll eliminate one more thing. What a fart on!

I'm getting corrupted files when I transfer from my Win10 Laptop to my USB HDD attached to my NVidia Sheild.

I first noticed that all the content I was downloading was glitchy and unwatchable, and when I checked the message log in VLC player, its full of errors. So I zipped up a known-good file, and if I transfer it over and then back, it won't unzip again.

Struggling to fix this, I've already eliminated a bunch of things that I thought it was (like a bad HDD, or a bad app running on the shield) - any ideas?
I just tried it via WiFi instead of cabled, and it was fine. So why does that change anything? I've tried a different ethernet cable already, and that didn't make a difference.

Similar kept happening to me. So where I needed to transfer I just used the wifi where data amounts were small or in very rare instances I couldn't stick the data on a USB stick and move to the other device.

Similar kept happening to me. So where I needed to transfer I just used the wifi where data amounts were small or in very rare instances I couldn't stick the data on a USB stick and move to the other device.
Problem is, I download on the sheild itself, and that's been working fine for 18months. Then its not anymore.
I'm only using the PC to test because its the only tool I have to check file integrity.

Problem is, I download on the sheild itself, and that's been working fine for 18months. Then its not anymore.
I'm only using the PC to test because its the only tool I have to check file integrity.
I had a quick shufti last night at a few things and it does seem to point to it being a router/hub/switch thing.
When you sent the file via laptop was it by direct cable or did you do it through a network? If by network, maybe try a direct wired LAN connection from your lappy to the Shield and cut out all of the network. If that's fine it's probably either your router or switch.

I had a quick shufti last night at a few things and it does seem to point to it being a router/hub/switch thing.
When you sent the file via laptop was it by direct cable or did you do it through a network? If by network, maybe try a direct wired LAN connection from your lappy to the Shield and cut out all of the network. If that's fine it's probably either your router or switch.
Laptop connected to router by cable
Switch connected to router by cable
Sheild connected to Switch by cable

I did also try connecting the laptop to the switch, but that made no difference.

Tonight I'll take the network segment off entirely, and connect the sheild to the router. Then its just laptop>router>shield. And I know its not the laptop causing the issue. Suppose next step after that is replace shield with another laptop, and test again. Then I'll know if its the router or the shield? (of course, unless we've already proven its the switch and cabling by that point)

Laptop connected to router by cable
Switch connected to router by cable
Sheild connected to Switch by cable

I did also try connecting the laptop to the switch, but that made no difference.

Tonight I'll take the network segment off entirely, and connect the sheild to the router. Then its just laptop>router>shield. And I know its not the laptop causing the issue. Suppose next step after that is replace shield with another laptop, and test again. Then I'll know if its the router or the shield? (of course, unless we've already proven its the switch and cabling by that point)
Try laptop to Shield, nowt in between. Just use a patch ethernet cable.

You should get a job for a multi national IT company. You would then know someone who can help you fix it surely. ;)

Ah reet, bit of a faff.
Aye try it straight through the router and bypass the switch. I think it might be a router problrm though, have you tried reseting the router back to defaults and clearing it out?
Yeah, that's on the agenda. I'm going to factory reset the shield first anarl. FFS man, what a clart on!

You should get a job for a multi national IT company. You would then know someone who can help you fix it surely. ;)
As if anyone here can fix a paperclip, never mind a network ;)

Try it Ethernet to Ethernet using a different device to the Shield, and/or using a different device to the PC.

Then you'll find the culprit. At the moment you've narrowed it down to one of the following:

a) faulty wired nic on shield
b) faulty wired nic on PC
c) portable hard drive is corrupting files when writing at high speed (which may be being avoided when using wireless).

Have you tried a different portable hard drive to rule out c?
Just read the whole thread. Presuming you've tried a different hard drive then it's option a. If you haven't then it could be option c still.

Last edited:
Try it Ethernet to Ethernet using a different device to the Shield, and/or using a different device to the PC.

Then you'll find the culprit. At the moment you've narrowed it down to one of the following:

a) faulty wired nic on shield
b) faulty wired nic on PC
c) portable hard drive is corrupting files when writing at high speed (which may be being avoided when using wireless).

Have you tried a different portable hard drive to rule out c?
Just read the whole thread. Presuming you've tried a different hard drive then it's option a. If you haven't then it could be option c still.
Well, the HDD can't write faster than being plugged in via USB3 and writing and copying off - and that's fine. Still, I formatted it anyway.

Remember, the issue first came to light when I was downloading files only on the Shield, so the PC isn't actually in the equation - I'm just using it as a troubleshooting tool for convenience.

I've factory reset the Shield and the Sky Router this afternoon. And the Shield is now plugged directly into the router along with the laptop - so the network component of this is now out of the question. And I still get issues.

What I do notice - when I push files to the shield, it runs at about 30MB/s (250Mbps). When I pull files off the sheild back to my laptop its about 90MB/s (750Mbps). At the moment, pushing files over never seems to cause an issue - I can copy over, then run the 7zip test remotely and its always fine.

I'm copying the file back to my desktop via WiFi now - its still cabled from the sheild to the router - but from the router to the laptop is WiFi - my thought on that is that its much slower - 25MB/s. This is to test if its raw speed that's knackering things?
EDIT: Yep, no issue when copying it back via slower WiFi. FFS man!!

I could test with another laptop hard-wired to the router. I'll have to remind myself how a domain-laptop can connect to home-laptop though.

Last edited:
What I do notice - when I push files to the shield, it runs at about 30MB/s (250Mbps). When I pull files off the sheild back to my laptop its about 90MB/s (750Mbps). At the moment, pushing files over never seems to cause an issue - I can copy over, then run the 7zip test remotely and its always fine.
It's normal for drives to read faster they can write iirc.

So is it only happening when you download on the shield itself? Does it happen when you download directly to the Shield from the internet via WiFi?

Seems to be pointing to a wired nic fault on the Shield. Maybe try a usb nic on the shield if it's supported?

Last edited:

Back