Any H.P. Lovecraft Fans on Here?

My mate has been telling me for years that I should read some of his stuff but I've never got round to it. However, today I started listening to a BBC adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness on the BBC Sounds app (which I would highly recommend) and I got instantly sucked in by the Elder Things/Gods mythos. I fancy giving his stuff a go, but would like to discover more about Nyarlathotep and Azathoth and the like after what I listened to today. Any recommendations on where I should start and stories I really shouldn't miss or stuff by other authors on the subject?

The chap who wrote the BBC series has some other stories on soundcloud, not all Lovecraftian, but very good:

The chap who wrote the BBC series has some other stories on soundcloud, not all Lovecraftian, but very good:

They are. Plus, there's bits and pieces from those standalone BBC dramas from a while back that crop up in the Lovecraft podcasts like little Easter eggs - Pleasant Green, the Blake House murders. He's developed his own mythos, and the podcasts are blending that with the Lovecraft one. Excellent stuff.

They are. Plus, there's bits and pieces from those standalone BBC dramas from a while back that crop up in the Lovecraft podcasts like little Easter eggs - Pleasant Green, the Blake House murders. He's developed his own mythos, and the podcasts are blending that with the Lovecraft one. Excellent stuff.

Yes, I'm really enjoying them. Really looking forward to Innsmouth. One of my fave Lovecraft stories

Yes, I'm really enjoying them. Really looking forward to Innsmouth. One of my fave Lovecraft stories

My favourite, hands down, so likewise.

Good long-ish interview with JS on this podcast, talking about influences and inspirations for the podcasts, and how HPL basically ripped off a lot of East Anglia for his Massachusetts.

(If you've not read it, this has some great contemporary (well, 20 year old) Lovecraftian stories in from some really good writers. Could probably pick up secondhand from abebooks or somewhere as well as Amazon.

My favourite, hands down, so likewise.

Good long-ish interview with JS on this podcast, talking about influences and inspirations for the podcasts, and how HPL basically ripped off a lot of East Anglia for his Massachusetts.

(If you've not read it, this has some great contemporary (well, 20 year old) Lovecraftian stories in from some really good writers. Could probably pick up secondhand from abebooks or somewhere as well as Amazon.

I'll give Cthulhu 2000 a spin - it's unusal for me not to have it already!

Where would you start with these? I listened to one of his shorts on the Dangerous Visions: Dark Vignettes section of the BBC Sounds app and thought it was thoroughly lacking, unfortunately. Hopefully these will be better and more akin to his WID which is wonderful.

I bought a complete collection on my kindle a couple of years ago.

A bit hard work in places, I dont know how it's been compiled but it's not in order of his earliest work.

Where would you start with these? I listened to one of his shorts on the Dangerous Visions: Dark Vignettes section of the BBC Sounds app and thought it was thoroughly lacking, unfortunately. Hopefully these will be better and more akin to his WID which is wonderful.

I started with Bad Memories because it was the first one which linked to CDW and to WID, and it was great. Then Fugue State, which is great, and then Mythos.

As a by the by I've been to Providence and I've seen the original house that was the basis for the houses in CDW and The Shunned House, and I've been to the Witch House in Salem. Not that I'm showboating or anything

New season of the Lovecraft Investigations out now on BBC Sounds for anyone interested:

Already listening to it.

Makes me want to listen to them all again. Love the way they knit together the original stories with new material, and the way the make the 2 tales into an overall narrative

Great stuff. Would love to see them as a TV show

My mate has been telling me for years that I should read some of his stuff but I've never got round to it. However, today I started listening to a BBC adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness on the BBC Sounds app (which I would highly recommend) and I got instantly sucked in by the Elder Things/Gods mythos. I fancy giving his stuff a go, but would like to discover more about Nyarlathotep and Azathoth and the like after what I listened to today. Any recommendations on where I should start and stories I really shouldn't miss or stuff by other authors on the subject?
Just packing up the house ready for the move down to Florida and really started going through some of my father-in-laws stuff. Hadn't realised he did a lot of the plotting and breakdowns on a few Lovecraft books through Image Comics.

I started with Bad Memories because it was the first one which linked to CDW and to WID, and it was great. Then Fugue State, which is great, and then Mythos.

As a by the by I've been to Providence and I've seen the original house that was the basis for the houses in CDW and The Shunned House, and I've been to the Witch House in Salem. Not that I'm showboating or anything

You might enjoy this...

Kennedy Fisher's blog...

Back