any good books on WWII ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

War of The Rats by David Robbins is a great read.

It's the true story of Vasily Zeytsef and Heinz Thorvald, the 2 snipers of Stalingrad as butchered by the film Enemy at The Gates.

HMS Ulysses - Alistair Maclean

its fiction, but obviously based on real life convoys such as PQ-17

and you'll be raging against those german bastards at the end

:-(

Arnhem. The battle for survival by john nichol and tony reynold

10/10

Just about impossible to beat the Antony Beevor books, particularly Stalingrad and Berlin. I read that he's doing one on the Battle of Kursk which should be pretty good an arl.

I don't think there's as many good live accounts as they tend to be pretty patchy and a bit boys own. The best I've read is Primo Levi If this be a man - not the conflict as such but an account of his time in Auschwitz. There's a cracking read called the Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer who was a grenadier in the Gross Deutschland division which really conveys the horror of total war. Some dispute though as to whether he was really there of whether its a dramatized account. Either way its a good read.

I am currently reading The Long Walk by a Polish soldier. It is an account of how he was taken as a prisoner of war by the Russians and his escape from a Siberian camp.
Do not know if it is true although it is claimed that it is.
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Samer is a good read. About a German soldier on the Russian front, again claimed to be true but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
Slaughterhouse 5
Catch 22

A very good book but based on ww1 is
' generals die in bed'

Amazing how a tragedy brings out the jingoists

Just about impossible to beat the Antony Beevor books, particularly Stalingrad and Berlin. I read that he's doing one on the Battle of Kursk which should be pretty good an arl.

I don't think there's as many good live accounts as they tend to be pretty patchy and a bit boys own. The best I've read is Primo Levi If this be a man - not the conflict as such but an account of his time in Auschwitz. There's a cracking read called the Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer who was a grenadier in the Gross Deutschland division which really conveys the horror of total war. Some dispute though as to whether he was really there of whether its a dramatized account. Either way its a good read.
Agreed, I've just finished reading the Ardennes about the battle of the bulge, his book on the Spanish Civil (slightly off topic) is excellent as well

This is good read
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1088288/dam-busters/9781448123728/
Another author is Michael Nobbs, he's written some very good semi factual books about Churchill's war years
https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780007183050/churchills-hour another good read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back