any good books on WWII ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ighty seven

Striker
like a front line soldiers first hand account kind of thing.. av read Agent Zigzag as recommended on here, really liked it.

Cheers.

I've just read 'With the Old Breed'by Eugene Sledge.

Pretty good read about his service with the American Marines fighting the Japanese in the Pacific. He pulls no punches with some of the things he saw.

The Cruel Sea about the battle of the Atlantic is amazing. It's fiction but based on the authors experience as a RNR captain during the war...

I'm reading (slowly) about the arctic convoys of 1942, me granda was in one of the support vessels and he lost a finger due to the weather. It's hard reading in all honesty but Christ some of the conditions were scary.

I'm currently reading Stalingrad, was 99p on Amazon Kindle, canny so far.

Also the 'Band of brother's' book the series was based on, it's canny different from the tv series and mainly focused on the battleship and fighter pilots. Great read

Quartered safe out here was a great read about the war in Burma through the eyes of a young lad serving there. George Fraser

There's a few books based around the band of brothers series, dick winters book and a book based on the life of shifty powers weren't a bad read. And the actual band of brothers book by stephen ambrose was pretty good as well. I'm currently getting through the rise and fall of the third reich which is good, however it does lack a bit of the character which comes from a memoir I guess.

Bomber Pilot - Leonard Cheshire

have'nt read that but hes in Brickhill's book cos of his stint as 617 CO (yes, that 617 squadron) towards the end of the war

does it explain who the mystery person was that kept sending him the cheques after the war when he was setting up his first place for veterans and war widows?

oh, and to actually answer the OP

Wings on my Sleeve - Eric (Winkle) Brown

Wing Leader - Johnnie Johnson (excellent)
The Big Show - Pierre Clostermann (average, he had a frenchman's tendency to exaggerate)

and to prove i'm an equal opportunities kind of guy

The First & the Last - Adolf Galland (excellent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back