any decent books on the history of Britain?

I've got one called Seven Ages of Britain which accompanied the television series. I haven't read it all, however, I found the tv series absolutely fascinating.

Bit off topic.. Not books .. But I have a collection of British transport films.. 40s 50s 60s n 70s.. Road rail n sea... Watch them over and over..nostalgia ain't what it used to be .... But I enjoy it.. Sad old git I know... But that's me.... Hope you find some great books...

Wouldn’t have a clue but I’ve got a few on the history of Sunderland which are well worth a read.

If you want all the anecdotes and traditional stories then you could a lot worse than Our Island Story. It goes up to the death of Queen Victoria, is very Victorian in manner and can be considered a bit racist and xenophobic. Setting aside those things it’s a cracking read from an Imperialistic viewpoint. It’s wonderful book, even Stephen Fry recommends it and it should be compulsory reading in every school.

There is a second book called Our Empire Story by the same author which people might have more problems with.

what’s the best book on the history of these great isles giving a detailed history of the last 1,000 or 2,000 years or whatever?

If you want detailed then you'd have to look up the best histories of each particular era rather than the entire history of the islands in one go. You'd have to specialize at times otherwise you'd be getting a general précis.

Christopher Hill was a good (if Marxist) historian on the English revolutions as is Eric Hobsbawm on industry and empire. E.P. Thompson on social history and the working classes etc.

simon jenkins wrote a short history of england, which is sort of close (neil oliver doing a history of scotland). andew marr has done a history of modern britain.

stephen clarke's 1000 years of annoying the french is in essence a history of the uk since 1066. john o'farrell wrote two great easy going books on the subject - an utterly impartial history of britain & an utterly exasperated history of modern britain.

Is that one that Scottish bloke did? Neil someone?
The hairy jock who’s always fillumed gazing wistfully off across the seas in a Vic n Bob Spenderesque manner? If so I’ve read his history of Scotland one and it’s decent.
Another vote for Simon Schamas trio. Though I’ve not done the last one yet.......it’s on the run way though.

The hairy jock who’s always fillumed gazing wistfully off across the seas in a Vic n Bob Spenderesque manner? If so I’ve read his history of Scotland one and it’s decent.
Another vote for Simon Schamas trio. Though I’ve not done the last one yet.......it’s on the run way though.
Neil Oliver. That’s him.

This Sceptered Isle was good

The 2 volumes of this^^
what’s the best book on the history of these great isles giving a detailed history of the last 1,000 or 2,000 years or whatever?

If you're into Modern British history, then Dominic Sandbrooks your man.

He's writing/written a 6 volume account of British Social/Cultural history from 1956-1990.

The last volume 74-79 was published in 2012, with the next volume, Who Dares Wins - Britain 1979-1982 published next Thursday 26th September.

Only a 7yr wait between volumes...like a kid at Christmas waiting for this to be published

Last edited by a moderator:

Back