Any analogue photographers on here?

Polski Mackem

Midfield
Well? Wouldn't mind getting into a chat about kit that you use, 35mm Vs 120, film stocks, availability, .... I do use some really nice digital cameras but find myself being drawn more and more back to film .....

I have loads of film cameras, 35mm and 120.

Unfortunately it's two years since I got out with them. We have a good lab here in Houston so I can get my photos processed.

I have a few old Russian cameras, a Yeshica and a Rolleiflex. Loads of Canon 35mm

I have loads of film cameras, 35mm and 120.

Unfortunately it's two years since I got out with them. We have a good lab here in Houston so I can get my photos processed.

I have a few old Russian cameras, a Yeshica and a Rolleiflex. Loads of Canon 35mm

I have a Leica iiif (bought off Not Spavin on here) and a Mamiya 645J, I have a couple of films to develop that I put through them recently tend to do the B+W myself and send out the colour. That said like you I have done very little with them lately, there is a film half way through in my Leica and the 645 hasn't had a film through it for 2 years. I might dig them out this weekend

One set of lenses I bought came with the Minolta camera the lenses were used with. Absolute bargain, and the camera came for the ride.

My other 35mm film camera is a more shameful purchase. When I got my Sony mirrorless about five years back, I had some mad idea of converting a Zenit Photosniper so the Tair lens would work with my Sony. My six year old self which comes out under the influence of Chilean Red bought this thing on EBay, and it is a lovely bit of kit. The case looks like something James Bond would steal, and the Photosniper itself looks like something James Bond would use. When it arrived, my adult self realised I would be eating paving stone surrounded by armed police if I ever took it out of the house, as it looks like something you would use to shoot down a helicopter.

Google Zenit Photosniper to see what an idiot I was. It comes with a Zenit 35mm film camera, a Tair 3 300mm f4.5 lens (metal and glass, none of your plastic here) and a Helios 44-2 55mm F2 (which is fun on my Sony with an M42 adaptor).

Last edited:
One set of lenses I bought came with the Minolta camera the lenses were used with. Absolute bargain, and the camera came for the ride.

My other 35mm film camera is a more shameful purchase. When I got my Sony mirrorless about five years back, I had some mad idea of converting a Zenit Photosniper so the Tair lens would work with my Sony. My six year old self which comes out under the influence of Chilean Red bought this thing on EBay, and it is a lovely bit of kit. The case looks like something James Bond would steal, and the Photosniper itself looks like something James Bond would use. When it arrived, my adult self realised I would be eating paving stone surrounded by armed police if I ever took it out of the house, as it looks like something you would use to shoot down a helicopter.

Google Zenit Photosniper to see what an idiot I was. It comes with a Zenit 35mm film camera, a Tair 3 300mm f4.5 lens (metal and glass, none of your plastic here) and a Helios 44-2 55mm F2 (which is fun on my Sony with an M42 adaptor).

My first SLR was a Zenit with the Helios 55mm and it served me right up until I got my first digital one (Canon 400D).

The Zenit was certainly solid, so I dread to think how much the photosniper kit weighed.

The only film camera I still have is a Samsung Slimzoom 145S point and shoot, and last time I looked at that all the rubber had gone horrible and gooey.

Well? Wouldn't mind getting into a chat about kit that you use, 35mm Vs 120, film stocks, availability, .... I do use some really nice digital cameras but find myself being drawn more and more back to film .....

I guess it really depends on what you want to shoot?

For nature / architecture / days out I've got way too many Canon EOS 35mm SLRs - partly because they work great and because they're ridiculously cheap and the lenses are interchangable with EOS DSLR bodies.

If you have a DSLR consider looking at film bodies that you can use your existing lenses and accessories with?

I also have rangefinders from the 60s and 70s and some autofocus point and shoots from the 90s that I carry around or shoot family snaps indoors?

I generally shoot Kodak Portra 400 but will be branching out this month to other brands and ISOs.

Had any thoughts?

I've had boatloads over the years, had a lot of fun buying and selling bodies and lenses on Ebay before the prices of good stuff started getting out of hand.

In 35mm perhaps my favourite was one of the 70s or 80s Nikons (F2, F3, FE2) but the only one I kept was my dad's old Nikkormat which has immense sentimental value. They are just fantastic, well made and reliable cameras with some excellent lenses.

In medium format I loved the Pentax 645N and that format has a lot going for it, as a midway between 35mm and larger MF types, but eventually sold it and a whole stack of lenses to reduce the amount of kit I had. I had a few 6x6 cameras but the only one I kept was a Rolleicord Va (which is much more affordable than a Rolleiflex and arguably more practical/less bulky in use),. And the other camera I kept is a Fuji GW690 which produces the most beautiful 6x9cm negatives.
I guess it really depends on what you want to shoot?

For nature / architecture / days out I've got way too many Canon EOS 35mm SLRs - partly because they work great and because they're ridiculously cheap and the lenses are interchangable with EOS DSLR bodies.

If you have a DSLR consider looking at film bodies that you can use your existing lenses and accessories with?

I also have rangefinders from the 60s and 70s and some autofocus point and shoots from the 90s that I carry around or shoot family snaps indoors?

I generally shoot Kodak Portra 400 but will be branching out this month to other brands and ISOs.

Had any thoughts?
Portra is lovely and suits old cameras particularly well due to its forgiving exposure latitude. Wish it wasn't so damn expensive nowadays though.

Last edited:
Hadn't seen a lot of relies here - I don't seem to get the notifications that I get with PF and messages for example. Nice comments, thank you and will certainly look at the Michael Sasser YouTube suggestion.
I've got a selection of film cameras including a black Rollei 35 and Canon P with a lovely 50mm f1.2 lens but find myself being drawn to using a Canon A-1 which I've owned from new and my father's Bronica S2A. There is an excellent selection of film stocks available in Warsaw including a lot of indie brands all at what I consider reasonable prices (generally equivalent of £5 to £15) and at least 3 decent labs that I know who are happy to process 35mm and medium format.
I mostly take pictures while travelling or of friends and family randomly, but am losing my mojo a bit recently and am trying to think of a project to revive it all ....... too many rolls of film in my fridge getting old ....

Going through some old boxes left over from moving home six years ago I came accross my old Olympus AX2. It's 41 years old so and hasn't been used for at least 25 years. I stuck some batteries in it seems to be functioning as well as it always did. I got a roll of monochrome 35mm and have decided to have some fun with it.

I am by no means a photoghraphy enthusiast and know nowt about exposures and lenses but the AX2 was always highly rated as a fun pocket camera that could produce some fairly decent images. I have had digital cameras in the past but I could never see the display in bright daylight. I don't even use the camera on my mobile phone I can't remember ever sending anyone a snap from it and I don't do selfies but I can shove the AX2 in my pocket and see what I can get.

I might even enter one of your competitions if I get a scanner .

Logon or register to see this image

Going through some old boxes left over from moving home six years ago I came accross my old Olympus AX2. It's 41 years old so and hasn't been used for at least 25 years. I stuck some batteries in it seems to be functioning as well as it always did. I got a roll of monochrome 35mm and have decided to have some fun with it.

I am by no means a photoghraphy enthusiast and know nowt about exposures and lenses but the AX2 was always highly rated as a fun pocket camera that could produce some fairly decent images. I have had digital cameras in the past but I could never see the display in bright daylight. I don't even use the camera on my mobile phone I can't remember ever sending anyone a snap from it and I don't do selfies but I can shove the AX2 in my pocket and see what I can get.

I might even enter one of your competitions if I get a scanner .

Logon or register to see this image
XA2 not AX2 :)
I have one too - it is a classic and has a wickedly sharp lens. And if you detach the oversized flash gun from the side it's a perfect pocket camera to take out and about too. Enjoy.

Back