Anxiety

Is that basically the crack, people worrying about things that may or may not happen?

Personally that's a very small part of it....
During a bad attack my mind will catastrophise, but mostly mine is very random.... A lot of it with me is social anxiety, I fear saying stupid or inappropriate things, tend to dwell and replay things I've said to people, overthinking them constantly.

I just typed a massive post detailing the reasons why, but thought better and deleted.... Another victory for crippling insecurity when talking to 'strangers'

During a bad attack my mind will catastrophise, but mostly mine is very random.... A lot of it with me is social anxiety, I fear saying stupid or inappropriate things, tend to dwell and replay things I've said to people, overthinking them constantly.

I just typed a massive post detailing the reasons why, but thought better and deleted.... Another victory for crippling insecurity when talking to 'strangers'
I love you. Straight forward, unqualified.

In the case of panic attacks, it is the fear of fear itself. Anxiety is, to me, more than just worry. I believe mine came on through bullying, I was the only boy in my locality to pass the 11+ That makes you a target, you really become a square peg in a round hole. I would have to vary my route home to avoid certain individuals who, because I was different, became very agressive towards me. Imagine having to suffer that for five years. Of course you always get one who becomes violent and that leads to others. I didn’t accept it at the tine, just got on with it. There are some people now that I ignore totally. The anxiety of getting home on one piece ruled my life, it is more than worry.

I have practised yoga since my mid twenties, never had an illegal drug. Enough problems with prescriotion ones. I have never had any medication for 31 years now. It can take a long time to sort yourself out byt keep on plugging away.
Sure there are many kinds of anxiety, I was referring to generalised anxiety disorder. Panic is catastrophic misinterpretation of bodily symptoms.
.. there all all kinds of root causes that lead to anxiety in people and sometimes the actual cause is lost in time as we become reactive and sensitised to the experience of anxiety rather than any external trigger. Our own thoughts can then become frightening to have but as you are probably recognising through your meditation , thought is just thought, sensation is just sensation, emotion is transitory. Sometimes we need to push into it to recognise that rather than try to flee it or reject it.

It’s not just the chemicals you are putting into your body, my guess is that they are only making your anxiety worse. From my experience, getting rid of the emotional baggage or the root cause is the only way forward. If it’s work, address the issue there, if it’s relationships, sort that out in s way it’s best for you too. If you are really unsure what your underlying trigger is then talk to someone who can help you break things down and put them back in order ( a bit like “formatting the fucker”).
You get one go at this life carryon and being unhappy in it needs putting right.

These sound like wise words to me, although finding it difficult to put into practice at the minute. Delivered a project at work on a temporary promotion/contract that has been stressful in every way and now delivered I feel mentally drained and everything is on top of me. Always suffered with anxiety and depression but never been close to a big panic attack until recently. Been working away and that hasn't helped matters either.

About to apply for a new job which is a permanent post at the same wage but it'd still be working on the same stuff that's causing me to feel this way(albeit in more of a hands-off, overseeing job) but have a feeling that these feelings won't go away without completely cutting it out. Only problem is I'd effectively be taking a pay cut and probably ruining future chances of getting on.

These sound like wise words to me, although finding it difficult to put into practice at the minute. Delivered a project at work on a temporary promotion/contract that has been stressful in every way and now delivered I feel mentally drained and everything is on top of me. Always suffered with anxiety and depression but never been close to a big panic attack until recently. Been working away and that hasn't helped matters either.

About to apply for a new job which is a permanent post at the same wage but it'd still be working on the same stuff that's causing me to feel this way(albeit in more of a hands-off, overseeing job) but have a feeling that these feelings won't go away without completely cutting it out. Only problem is I'd effectively be taking a pay cut and probably ruining future chances of getting on.
It’s difficult to get the balance right in life. There’s a triangle thing http://www.codebureau.com/it-musings/triangle-of-happiness-rate-your-job-satisfaction/
Giving you an idea how some people think how it all balances.imo this is spot on and keeping things balanced gives a stronger core to deal with the other shite that life throws at you.
Some of the happiest people I know don’t have a pot to piss in.

Christmas to January can be difficult for different reasons. Why Black Friday ?
Generally Christmas is a stressful affair. Big extended family who make a big deal of it. Just daft stuff really like who is coming round when etc. Presents are a big part and that's what gets me.

I'm a compulsive shopper which I've reined in for months.

Black Friday + Christmas has forced a relapse and I was up all night fighting the urge to buy multiple deals online.

I woke up knackered but only bought 5 pairs of socks so it could be worse.

Im on my 9th can tonight my anxiety will be shit tomorrow
That’s why I rarely drink these days, I spend the following four days scared to death of bugger all. Has to be done where watching SAFC is concerned though.

You might be anxious about something that is simply an expression of your personality. There's nothing 'wrong' with you. It's just 'you'. I bet people love you for it.

Seems fairly nuts to me to choose to keep drinking regularly if you have an anxiety problem that you want to shift.

I know what you're saying mate. But, if the OP is anything like me, you have anxiety all week sober, so you self-medicate by drinking which numbs it. Then, it's worse the next day - It's a vicious circle. I'm assuming he just wants a 'night off' anxiety and it's a calculated decision. But, when he had a good drink it eased it, but then he's already worrying about tomorrow, which just makes it worse. You're right of course, but logic goes out the window with anxiety/depression.

It's awful.

To give a couple examples of me, there's a bloke who gets the same bus as me for work, when we're waiting for the bus I feel morally responsible to take my headphone off and have a 'conversation'. I hate it, to the point I've recently changed the bus I get (which takes longer). He doesn't like football, and we run out of things to talk about - quickly. I hate the awkward silence. It's stupid and totally illogical. He's a nice bloke, he probably wouldn't mind if I just listened to my songs, I've just made such a big thing of it mentally, it's daft.

Then, I got 2 withheld numbers Yesterday, I've obsessively convinced myself it's some bad. Like, an ex trying to fuck with me, or a loan company to say I owe XXX amount. In reality, it's 99% likely to be nothing.

f***ing ridiculous saying it out loud.

Last edited:
I know what you're saying mate. But, if the OP is anything like me, you have anxiety all week sober, so you self-medicate by drinking which numbs it. Then, it's worse the next day - It's a vicious circle. I'm assuming he just wants a 'night off' anxiety and it's a calculated decision. But, when he had a good drink it eased it, but then he's already worrying about tomorrow, which just makes it worse. You're right of course, but logic goes out the window with anxiety/depression.

I totally get the thinking behind it as I am someone who has dealt with lifelong anxiety problems and used to drink heavily to get through it. I was not aware of what I was fully doing and how I was not dealing with causes of the issues and just tackling the effects with a sticking plaster, nowadays I understand myself a little better and don't drink, but it's different strokes for different folks and all that.

You might be anxious about something that is simply an expression of your personality. There's nothing 'wrong' with you. It's just 'you'. I bet people love you for it.
I think it's just how I'm wired up...
I can't remember not being this way even as a child.
Being a catastrophiser does help sometimes though... I'm always the one with a penknife/toolkit/snow shovel/spare knickers.... :lol:

I think it's just how I'm wired up...
I can't remember not being this way even as a child.
Being a catastrophiser does help sometimes though... I'm always the one with a penknife/toolkit/snow shovel/spare knickers.... :lol:

That's partly what I was saying. There's a scale in a psychometric instrument (the occupational personality questionnaire) and although I'm years out of my practitioner qualification I recall it measured something called 'anxiety' as a fiction of personality.

People with high 'anxious' tendencies (compared with a general population norm) were likely to be well prepared and keen to get things right - as well as 'scared' (bad word) of getting it wrong.

It can be a good thing. Except when we label it so it becomes a bad thing.

Have to say just realising this last year that I come under the anxiety umbrella. Socially awkward, self paranoid etc especially after heavy drinking. But like someone said small talk conversations with people I dont really know are a mare.

Back