Anxiety

It’s not just the chemicals you are putting into your body, my guess is that they are only making your anxiety worse. From my experience, getting rid of the emotional baggage or the root cause is the only way forward. If it’s work, address the issue there, if it’s relationships, sort that out in s way it’s best for you too. If you are really unsure what your underlying trigger is then talk to someone who can help you break things down and put them back in order ( a bit like “formatting the fucker”).
You get one go at this life carryon and being unhappy in it needs putting right.

So why do it? I know it’s alright at the time but it doesn’t last long. Find other ways to relax, you really will be better for it. What holds your interest, are you good at making things, reading, do something that occupies your mind. At the end of the day, it is up to you, pills are no sort of a cure and happiness doesn’t come from the bottom of a glass.
You are right abdolutely right

its an utter bastard at times. I’ve read drinking makes it worse, anyone stopped booze and it’s hekped them get on top of the anxiety?

It's been 2 months since I had any booze and my anxiety has really improved. Don't get me wrong it's still there but I find I don't over think things as much. I still worry, but not about the things I can't control. My memory is loads better too and I find I'm a lot more organised. I actually like myself more when I'm not boozing.

I only drink once a month or so now and it has helped massively - I was out on Saturday and it’s the first Monday in a long time I’ve woken up feeling anxious about the day ahead at work. I know I’ll be fine tomorrow but no booze now til 16th December or if I do drink it will just be one or two with a meal

This

Is that basically the crack, people worrying about things that may or may not happen?
Or worrying about things that definitely will happen but people seem to be able to come to terms with most of that. In terms of general anxiety it's intolerance of uncertainty of outcome that's the devil.

Or worrying about things that definitely will happen but people seem to be able to come to terms with most of that. In terms of general anxiety it's intolerance of uncertainty of outcome that's the devil.
In the case of panic attacks, it is the fear of fear itself. Anxiety is, to me, more than just worry. I believe mine came on through bullying, I was the only boy in my locality to pass the 11+ That makes you a target, you really become a square peg in a round hole. I would have to vary my route home to avoid certain individuals who, because I was different, became very agressive towards me. Imagine having to suffer that for five years. Of course you always get one who becomes violent and that leads to others. I didn’t accept it at the tine, just got on with it. There are some people now that I ignore totally. The anxiety of getting home on one piece ruled my life, it is more than worry.

I have practised yoga since my mid twenties, never had an illegal drug. Enough problems with prescriotion ones. I have never had any medication for 31 years now. It can take a long time to sort yourself out byt keep on plugging away.

If you can figure out how to manage that uncertainty - e.g can you influence it or not? Will the outcome likely be as bad as you’re thinking? Etc’ then you can go a long way to managing your anxiety.

Took a lot of practice and it’s ongoing for me but it does work.

I'm not one for sharing very personal stuff on here. But let's just say that I have lived a life that's featured many colours and some of them have been dark. Some of them have been very dark.

If you're suffering from anxiety and you've just entered this thread and are reading the last few messages as a precursor to a full exploration please heed my warning: Don't. Just don't. It'll make you anxious. And perhaps scare the literal shit out of you.

I know loads of people at work that suffer (or claim to) from this.

Why is it so prevelant today?

I'd say:

- increased stress of everyday life
- increased awareness in mental health issues
- increased acceptability of suffering from mental illness (people in the past more likely to try to hide it)
- the tories doing their best to make the working classes all commit suicide

If you drink to surprises anxiety, please be aware that without alcohol to numb the brain, it does start to try and rebalance and could temporarily cause the anxiety to be worse as it adjusts.

I drank my anxiety into submission daily for 20 years. It all got too much for me earlier this year and with the help of the local Recovery service I managed to cut down and then stop. Been 7 weeks now without a drink and I don't even think about booze anymore.
The first week of sobriety was mental anxiety wise though. It felt like I constantly had someone screaming in my head, very scary even though I was expecting it to some extent. Over the weeks since then, that has levelled out a lot and whilst still pretty bad, it is clearly going in the right direction.
Just be prepared for cutting out the drink to not be an instant cure.

Meditation and mindfulness have helped me a lot and I would certainly recommend trying them alongside a healthier lifestyle.

Back