Antibody tests a waste of time and money

One can’t argue that, since the population sample antibody tests and statistical modelling suggest between 6% and 12% of people have antibodies.

Did your swab and antibody test come back positive at the same time?
No Antibody test was done over 6 weeks ago ... was ordered to do with ENT problem of altered smell and taste ... Not that I could not smell or taste... It was no matter what I ate it tasted wrong like it was off and it smelt like it tasted... My wife and daughter said the food tasted normal and was fine I was told to self isolate for 14 days my wife and daughter had to do the same.... recently I've had some swallowing problems a scan has shown that acid is travelling up my windpipe and into Lungs I therfore have to have endoscopy I was swabbed last Tuesday and it came back positive... I've therfore had these symptoms for a number of weeks but gone about my life as normal except for the first self isolatiion the endoscopy is going to be done once the swab becomes normal or they may consider doing it before if it gets worse

Today I've cycled 15 miles and my breathing is fine smell and taste is the same. Last year I had bicuspid heart valve replaced and the last transthoracic Echo was all good Valve and Heart as well as ascending and desdcing Aortic Arteries. So not really what you would associate with COVID
Just ignore this one.

WUM
[/QUOT

Just ignore this one.

WUM

No Antibody test was done over 6 weeks ago ... was ordered to do with ENT problem of altered smell and taste ... Not that I could not smell or taste... It was no matter what I ate it tasted wrong like it was off and it smelt like it tasted... My wife and daughter said the food tasted normal and was fine I was told to self isolate for 14 days my wife and daughter had to do the same.... recently I've had some swallowing problems a scan has shown that acid is travelling up my windpipe and into Lungs I therfore have to have endoscopy I was swabbed last Tuesday and it came back positive... I've therfore had these symptoms for a number of weeks but gone about my life as normal except for the first self isolatiion the endoscopy is going to be done once the swab becomes normal or they may consider doing it before if it gets worse

Today I've cycled 15 miles and my breathing is fine smell and taste is the same. Last year I had bicuspid heart valve replaced and the last transthoracic Echo was all good Valve and Heart as well as ascending and desdcing Aortic Arteries. So not really what you would associate with COVID

Hang on, so

• Your antibody test was done six weeks ago, and came back positive
  • You were swabbed last week and were positive

One of those tests can't be right. You can't have had antibodies six weeks ago and tested positive last week. If you had antibodies six weeks ago, you had COVID at least nine weeks ago.

Hang on, so

• Your antibody test was done six weeks ago, and came back positive
  • You were swabbed last week and were positive

One of those tests can't be right. You can't have had antibodies six weeks ago and tested positive last week. If you had antibodies six weeks ago, you had COVID at least nine weeks ago.
. Well both tests at the same hospital... Is it possible it's just bubbling away... I know I am one who of those people has the other symptoms not typical tbh fair I had more typical symptoms at the start of the year when I did have breathing issues due to a chest infection 3 courses of Antibiotics and 2 courses of Steroids... That's why I'm convinced it's building my own defence to to it as I've not been hospitalised and would have been a better candidate for a bed in early Jan

. Well both tests at the same hospital... Is it possible it's just bubbling away... I know I am one who of those people has the other symptoms not typical tbh fair I had more typical symptoms at the start of the year when I did have breathing issues due to a chest infection 3 courses of Antibiotics and 2 courses of Steroids... That's why I'm convinced it's building my own defence to to it as I've not been hospitalised and would have been a better candidate for a bed in early Jan

If you have had a positive antibody test, and then six weeks later a positive swab test, either one of those two tests is wrong, or you’re an exceptional case and they should be writing about you in medical journals.

If you have had a positive antibody test, and then six weeks later a positive swab test, either one of those two tests is wrong, or you’re an exceptional case and they should be writing about you in medical journals.
Did that BBC Covid Reporter test positive numerous times on different occasions Fergus ...summat or other ... My younger brother who works on the Rail tested positive with the swab one... In his gang of 8 blokes 6 out of the 8 were positive

Did that BBC Covid Reporter test positive numerous times on different occasions Fergus ...summat or other ... My younger brother who works on the Rail tested positive with the swab one... In his gang of 8 blokes 6 out of the 8 were positive

Repeated positive tests in a short window are possible, but you tested positive by a swab approximately eight to ten weeks after being initially infected. That's quite remarkable.

Repeated positive tests in a short window are possible, but you tested positive by a swab approximately eight to ten weeks after being initially infected. That's quite remarkable.

Could it have been a false positive it can sometimes be the case in small numbers .

Could it have been a false positive it can sometimes be the case in small numbers .

Well either one of them was a false positive or as I say they should be writing about your case in the BMJ.

I take it you went private as I’ve not heard of individual consultants being able to order antibody tests.

Well either one of them was a false positive or as I say they should be writing about your case in the BMJ.

I take it you went private as I’ve not heard of individual consultants being able to order antibody tests.

No it all started early in the year when I had 10 days solid of Vomiting and Diorhea got to the point I was having palpatations due to loss of fluids so the wife rang 111 because I am high risk due to the recent heart valve replacement and also been under Sheffield Immunology dep for several year with Sig M deficiency... Thats the main antibody that fights infection. When paramedic came he did the temp in my earlobe and it was 98.3 which was automatic your going into Casualty I had the best part of 18 hours on a drip... Because I'd had it for around 2 weeks he did the Blood prick test that was apparently positive. I was quite stable a chest scan showed the reflux going into my lung as it also showed a sliding hiatus Hernia to cut a long story short I was allowed home to self isolate with a load of tablets and medicine to control the acid with the instruction if my breathing were to become a problem I should come straight back.... Fortunately it remained OK ... Fast forward I am now due as part of the fast track system I am getting an appointment for the camera down both ends in Endoscopy so as part of going in and getting that done I was asked to complete a swab test that was arranged at a community testing station and it showed up positive according to my GP but not symptomatic infact I'm doing well so I'm now having telephone consultations with a general surgeon who wants to get it done as soon as possible.

Maybe I'm a freak of nature but I cant fault the care I've had so far.

Back