Anthony Bourdain DNYT

He's the one poster on this forum I can think of that has no redeeming feature whatsoever. He's just full of loathing, bile, hatred and idiocy.
I honestly think he's seriously mentally unbalanced.

I know that its commonplace for people to accuse others of being unhinged on this site but in this case I really do think there is something seriously wrong with this person.

But, it's never just about a break up. There's always something beyond that...

Bourdain had battled depression, which was probably a factor.

However...I've never been depressed, yet a break up a few years ago pushed me to the brink. I never knew I had such depths. Fortunately I got through it and haven't been close since. But I have total sympathy with those who are constantly wrestling their demons.

I honestly think he's seriously mentally unbalanced.

I know that its commonplace for people to accuse others of being unhinged on this site but in this case I really do think there is something seriously wrong with this person.

I can't disagree. As I said, he's pretty much the one regular poster on this board who I can find nothing good about. I've no idea about his background or age but he's, at the very least, beyond odd.

However...I've never been depressed, yet a break up a few years ago pushed me to the brink. I never knew I had such depths. Fortunately I got through it and haven't been close since. But I have total sympathy with those who are constantly wrestling their demons.

I've been (clinically) depressed and there were a few factors involved that brought it to a head but, mostly, it was down to me and my electrics. Got over it through a mixture of family/friend support (and primarily patience), drugs and self realisation plus a failed therapy session (I'm not going to open up to a stranger unless they're Ringo Starr).

Last edited:

There is an old Chinese proverb which I have always remembered since I heard it when I was young: "Know your demons or they will destroy you."

A lot of people recognize that they are suffering from depression but never fully understand the causes. Those causes are the demons and unless you can identify them and deal with them, "know" them, you will never be free of them and the result can be the tragedy we have seen today.

Its good to hear you got to know your demon and overcame it. My heart goes out to those who never do.

He has never ever said he has had depression like mate, pretty sure about that.

I can't disagree. As I said, he's pretty much the one regular poster on this board who I can find nothing good about. I've no idea about his background or age but he's, at the very least, beyond odd.

I've been (clinically) depressed and there were a few factors involved that brought it to a head but, mostly, it was down to me and my electrics. Got over it through a mixture of family/friend support (and primarily patience), drugs and self realisation plus a failed therapy session (I'm not going to open up to a stranger unless they're Ringo Starr).

Aye I am not sure mine is cause by anything in particular, had no real massive trauma in my life, I've always had it a bit, I know my grandad had it, most people know apart from my parents, I can deal with it until they pop.

That’s horrible like. I’m pissed as fuck right now, but if anybody on here is feeling suicidal, please think of your family and kids etc. There’s no options in death, please talk to your loved ones. RIP

I know Joe Rogan was a big fan.....

I'll get abuse for this, but its still a selfish move like, lots of people go through this and you have to battle through.

Yeah. I didn’t even recognise it in myself. Only just realised and begun to dig myself out of it. In the process I’ve lost a lot and it’s tough - maybe impossible to put it all back together again. This for someone who by average measures had ‘nothing to be depressed about’. People looking at bourdain will no doubt think that many times over. But it doesn’t care a bit about your life circumstances.

I still think we need to be careful about just lumping all suicides in "he was depressed"

We don't know that. It is your first go to, but often people have a traumatic event or news and just do something stupid immediately in reaction to it. Can't say for sure it was a long ongoing battle with mental illness.

Feel this point gets lost these days.

Last edited:

Bourdain traveled to Argentina for psychotherapy — something widely popular in the country.

“Well, things have been happening,” he says on camera. “I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I’ll order an airport hamburger. It’s an insignificant thing, it’s a small thing, it’s a hamburger, but it’s not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days.”

Yahoo ist jetzt Teil von Oath

Aye I am not sure mine is cause by anything in particular, had no real massive trauma in my life, I've always had it a bit, I know my grandad had it, most people know apart from my parents, I can deal with it until they pop.

I'll get abuse for this, but its still a selfish move like, lots of people go through this and you have to battle through.

In fairness, and I know its TMZ, which tends toward the sensational:

Anthony Bourdain Talked Depression, Isolation In 'Parts Unknown' Episode

For what it's worth, I agree with you about suicide but suspect/know that anyone going through with it isn't thinking about the long term impact.

Bourdain traveled to Argentina for psychotherapy — something widely popular in the country.

“Well, things have been happening,” he says on camera. “I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I’ll order an airport hamburger. It’s an insignificant thing, it’s a small thing, it’s a hamburger, but it’s not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days.”

Yahoo ist jetzt Teil von Oath

Fair enough, hadn't seen that. Who knows to be fair, this strikes me has reacting to something about his lass like.

That quote, said in his tone, I didn't take as serious

He is just on about the shame of eating a hamburger

In fairness, and I know its TMZ, which tends toward the sensational:

Anthony Bourdain Talked Depression, Isolation In 'Parts Unknown' Episode

For what it's worth, I agree with you about suicide but suspect/know that anyone going through with it isn't thinking about the long term impact.

Yeah absolutely, I've had dark thoughts over the years, but I think you are allowed to say its selfish, because it is. People do things that are selfish without realising, this is just the extreme example. Sounds harsher than I intend it to be.

Awful like, the main thing I always take from these news, is just what a fine line life is, just takes 30 seconds and its over, its scary. I can see why it happens so much. People think its this massive built up thing, planned for years etc, when in realty its just....bam..done. Frightening.

Last edited:
Awful like, the main thing I always take from these news, is just what a fine line life is, just takes 30 seconds and its over, its scary. I can see why it happens so much. People think its this massive built up thing, planned for years etc, when in realty its just....bam..done. Frightening.

Totally. The thing is that it can be a build up thing or it can be a spontaneous thing or somewhere between...

Totally. The thing is that it can be a build up thing or it can be a spontaneous thing or somewhere between...

Absolutely, it might have been on his mind every day for 20 years, or it might have been the first time it entered his head, just no way of knowing.

Fair enough, hadn't seen that. Who knows to be fair, this strikes me has reacting to something about his lass like.

That quote, said in his tone, I didn't take as serious

He is just on about the shame of eating a hamburger

I've read two of his non-fiction books. He was struggling with very real issues. This afternoon when I saw he'd died my immediate thought was suicide.

That quote was not in isolation. He was open about his battle with depression.

I've read two of his non-fiction books. He was struggling with very real issues. This afternoon when I saw he'd died my immediate thought was suicide.

That quote was not in isolation. He was open about his battle with depression.

I haven't seen him say much like, or seen much reported since. He seemed the type of charachter who might though

A long, long time ago when I first went down to London to work I was a trainee in a large company. I'd been on-site for all of two weeks when I was grabbed by my boss and ordered to go and sit with a bloke called Tony for the afternoon.

I had no idea why I was being asked to do this and didn't even know who this bloke Tony was and when I tried to press my boss for a reason all he would say was that Tony just needed someone to sit with him. So I just shrugged and did what I was told.

When I got to the room Tony was in there was a definite awkwardness as I didn't know him and he didn't know me. But I'd been told he needed someone to talk to so I started talking.

It turned out Tony was a middle-aged homosexual who's life-partner had just committed suicide. Tony had been away on compassionate leave for a month which is why I had never met him. On his return to work Tony had told my boss that he was depressed and could see no future for his life without his partner. My boss just thought having someone to talk to would make everything alright. So he sent me in. A 24 year old with very little life experience and absolutely no experience of having lost anyone close to me.

To be honest I couldn't wait to get out of that room.

A few months later Tony resigned. A year later we received word from his family that he had committed suicide.

I'm not even sure why I'm telling this story. I suppose in some way I still feel guilty that I couldn't have done more to perhaps make a difference which could have averted his suicide. Rationally I know it wasn't my fault. Its stupid to think that it was!

Perhaps what I'm trying to say is to those who think suicide is a solution that your actions will have a negative affect on everyone who knows you. You may feel your life is not worth living but by removing that life you will affect people in ways you can't even imagine. This happened 30 years ago and it still affects me to this day.

Perhaps thats too judgmental. I don't know. Its late and I'm drunk.

A long, long time ago when I first went down to London to work I was a trainee in a large company. I'd been on-site for all of two weeks when I was grabbed by my boss and ordered to go and sit with a bloke called Tony for the afternoon.

I had no idea why I was being asked to do this and didn't even know who this bloke Tony was and when I tried to press my boss for a reason all he would say was that Tony just needed someone to sit with him. So I just shrugged and did what I was told.

When I got to the room Tony was in there was a definite awkwardness as I didn't know him and he didn't know me. But I'd been told he needed someone to talk to so I started talking.

It turned out Tony was a middle-aged homosexual who's life-partner had just committed suicide. Tony had been away on compassionate leave for a month which is why I had never met him. On his return to work Tony had told my boss that he was depressed and could see no future for his life without his partner. My boss just thought having someone to talk to would make everything alright. So he sent me in. A 24 year old with very little life experience and absolutely no experience of having lost anyone close to me.

A few months later Tony resigned. A year later we received word from his family that he had committed suicide.

I'm not even sure why I'm telling this story. I suppose in some way I still feel guilty that I couldn't have done more to perhaps make a difference which could have averted his suicide. Rationally I know it wasn't my fault. Its stupid to think that it was!

Perhaps what I'm trying to say is to those who think suicide is a solution that your actions will have a negative affect on everyone who knows you. You may feel your life is not worth living but by removing that life you will affect people in ways you can't even imagine. This happened 30 years ago and it still affects me to this day.

For what it's worth I think it's hard to beat yourself up about a situation like that. You're hardly to know what's going on in somebody's head. Like what has been mentioned in the thread - suicide can be a thing that someone might decide in an instant or a long planned thing. There's sometimes no pattern to it.

In that case you just wish there was a better support network around the people involved.

Powerful mate.

It is very very hard to drag someone out of that mindset, a lot of people could be saved as they never tell anyone and keep it locked up, but people who are open about it, and have already been offered support but still have those feelings. Its hard, there is no easy answer, no off switch is there. It is abit like a cancer returning, sometimes its hard to stop.

For what it's worth I think it's hard to beat yourself up about a situation like that. You're hardly to know what's going on in somebody's head. Like what has been mentioned in the thread - suicide can be a thing that someone might decide in an instant or a long planned thing. There's sometimes no pattern to it.

In that case you just wish there was a better support network around the people involved.
Thanks. But I spent 4 hours in that room with a man who was obviously suicidal. All I could think of was to try to say things to "cheer him up" whilst also trying to find some way to get as far away from him as possible as quickly as possible.

It isn't something I am proud of. If I had more life knowledge I may have done a better job.

Last edited:

Back