Another person dies of stupidity

And when common sense fails you there’s a sign with a big explanation mark in bright yellow, kinda classic danger stuff - this could be your Asian hornet moment - to remind you.
Aye but ha'way, the sign only say's 'caution', that means it might be alright to do it at your own risk (if ya ignore the bit where it clearly states 'do not' underneath) :rolleyes:

I think everyone is missing the fact that the only reason for the window being able to be opened is that the handle is on the outside of the door. It wasn’t for ventilation. It’s a shame the girl has died but, she was dicing with death doing that. Must have been horrific.

It really says a lot about the investment in the rail network that we still have this kind of rolling stock.

Whilst this story is certainly tragic, it beggars belief that there is now a question over the adequacy of the signs saying don’t do this.
They might as well go full hog and have looped videos of Viv in the University Challenge episode of the Young Ones playing to remind people not to stick their heads out of a window on a moving train.
Second time today aswell.... sounds like she was two faced to me

Whilst this story is certainly tragic, it beggars belief that there is now a question over the adequacy of the signs saying don’t do this.
They might as well go full hog and have looped videos of Viv in the University Challenge episode of the Young Ones playing to remind people not to stick their heads out of a window on a moving train.
You would think she’d have learnt the first time she died tragically in exactly the same circumstances.

I think everyone is missing the fact that the only reason for the window being able to be opened is that the handle is on the outside of the door. It wasn’t for ventilation. It’s a shame the girl has died but, she was dicing with death doing that. Must have been horrific.

It really says a lot about the investment in the rail network that we still have this kind of rolling stock.
Still though.... if the window was a small sliding one.

At 75 mph would you take the chance and stick your arm out?

Still though.... if the window was a small sliding one.

At 75 mph would you take the chance and stick your arm out?
I wouldn’t but I’m older and wiser than I was 20 years back. The window itself wasn’t a little one, it’s almost the entire upper half of a train door. Canny big gap really.

I frequently travel on that style of carriage and often encounter bewildered travellers at stations, frantically trying to open the door and not knowing how to.

It’s a tragic shame that this lass seemed like that type of person

I wouldn’t but I’m older and wiser than I was 20 years back. The window itself wasn’t a little one, it’s almost the entire upper half of a train door. Canny big gap really.
So you can clearly see how fast things are moving by... probably wise not to stick your head out there. Heads are important to people apparently.

"Bethan Roper, 28, was hit in the head by a tree branch while on board a Great Western Railway (GWR) service travelling at about 75mph...

... The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB)"

Rather ironically named

I'm sure once all trains heading to London have been upgraded to Mark 4 or other more modern carriages or DMU's us plebs will be given their cast offs and told we are getting new trains so be grateful.

Back