Ankle trouble

Back in August I woke up with a painful ankle, I hadn't twisted it or jumped badly, I put it down to age, anyway I ignored it and went off on a 2-week hiking trip, it never got either better or worse, most of the time I managed the pain with Ibuprofen, another week away in September and still no change, I finally went to the docs in early October they sent me for an Xray that came back as no fracture, back to docs and got referred to a physiotherapist, loads of exercises to do, it is still as sore as the first day I felt it, Doc and Physio both say a strain but I would have thought it would be getting better, any wise SMBer had anything like this or any idea what it could be?

Back in August I woke up with a painful ankle, I hadn't twisted it or jumped badly, I put it down to age, anyway I ignored it and went off on a 2-week hiking trip, it never got either better or worse, most of the time I managed the pain with Ibuprofen, another week away in September and still no change, I finally went to the docs in early October they sent me for an Xray that came back as no fracture, back to docs and got referred to a physiotherapist, loads of exercises to do, it is still as sore as the first day I felt it, Doc and Physio both say a strain but I would have thought it would be getting better, any wise SMBer had anything like this or any idea what it could be?
Could get worse at first with physio, but then it will get better. Do you rest it and have any support for it?

What is the pain like? Are you hobbling like a geriatric? I was like that after rugby matches and found Glycosamine with Condroitin was fabulous for that

Could get worse at first with physio, but then it will get better. Do you rest it and have any support for it?
Physio said not to strap it up and to try and walk at least 30 minutes a day, I've got another appointment before Christmas but to be honest I'm not convinced it's a strain
What is the pain like? Are you hobbling like a geriatric? I was like that after rugby matches and found Glycosamine with Condroitin was fabulous for that
Almost, I'll try Glycosamine, I'll get it on my 30-minute hobble :lol:
never heard of Condroitin I will give them a go too.

Physio said not to strap it up and to try and walk at least 30 minutes a day, I've got another appointment before Christmas but to be honest I'm not convinced it's a strain

Almost, I'll try Glycosamine, I'll get it on my 30-minute hobble :lol:
never heard of Condroitin I will give them a go too.
Try and get one that has both, I think Holland and Barrett do them

You could be a pronator. Basically low arch and throws a lot of weight onto the inside of your foot while straining the ligaments on the outside . I pronate and have to wear inserts or at least running shoes with stabilisation, or gradually i get chronic ankle pain . Have a look at your shoes , see if the wear pattern indicated pressure on the arch side of the foot .

You could be a pronator. Basically low arch and throws a lot of weight onto the inside of your foot while straining the ligaments on the outside . I pronate and have to wear inserts or at least running shoes with stabilisation, or gradually i get chronic ankle pain . Have a look at your shoes , see if the wear pattern indicated pressure on the arch side of the foot .
I've looked just now and no, the wear is even, but it's interesting because the shoes I wear most often have a lot of support in the insoles for the instep, I'm going to switch to some with flat footbeds and see how that goes.

I've looked just now and no, the wear is even, but it's interesting because the shoes I wear most often have a lot of support in the insoles for the instep, I'm going to switch to some with flat footbeds and see how that goes.
Could be. If youre wearing anti pronators that you dont need it may likewise alter your ankle alignment , essentially making you fractionally "bow legged" . Anti pronators usually have heel "flares " on the sole at heel as well as arch support
A podiatrist might be your best bet for a full gait analysis , cost you a few quid but worth it .
I think @sadders is a podiatrist and he could tell you better than my bit of amateur speculation .

Could be. If youre wearing anti pronators that you dont need it may likewise alter your ankle alignment , essentially making you fractionally "bow legged" . Anti pronators usually have heel "flares " on the sole at heel as well as arch support
A podiatrist might be your best bet for a full gait analysis , cost you a few quid but worth it .
I think @sadders is a podiatrist and he could tell you better than my bit of amateur speculation .
It’s worth seeing a good musculoskeletal podiatrist. Unfortunately it would be a stab in the dark to give an actual opinion.

10 Days on and still as bad, I saw the Physio yesterday and she says it could take another 12 weeks, she added some more exercises to the PysioApp I would have thought rest might be a better idea but she said not,
Glucosamine and Chondroitin coming out me ears :rolleyes:

10 Days on and still as bad, I saw the Physio yesterday and she says it could take another 12 weeks, she added some more exercises to the PysioApp I would have thought rest might be a better idea but she said not,
Glucosamine and Chondroitin coming out me ears :rolleyes:

Try hitting the exercise bike. Good to subtly strengthen things down there. I've blown out my ankle many times - and had countless strains and strains.

I had an appointment with Tyneside Integrated Musculoskeletal Service
a couple of weeks ago, he reviewed my X-ray and thinks it could be a stress fracture, he recommended resting it, not doing the exercises, and has referred me to the Orthopaedic department at the QE.

I had an MRI Scan a few months ago, The Tendon is knackered, and the surgeon says it's so bad he can't be sure if it is ruptured, I've to have an operation, and he put me down for the Opp, between 3 and 6 months time he says he will break my heel bone, use a tendon from my toe to replace the damaged one, I'll be in plaster for 6 weeks, then a boot for another month or so, I can't go on like this but that Operation sounds horrific.

Back