Andy Murray

There seems to be this weird misconception that tennis is the only sport where the standard has improved over the passage of time and that means Murray has somehow been unlucky.

Sports science has developed so much in the last 25 years that you could apply the same set of rules to the top 6 now in the premier league compared to 25 years ago, yet no one does.

The top 4 has remained largely unchanged for the 10 years from 2007 to 2016
Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray -
Wawrinka broke into it briefly but my point was that Murray was one of the collective greatest top 4 of any sustained period in the history of the game - there will never be a top 4 like that over that kind of period ever again
You're just referring to an arbitary period of time not an era.

You jump to some big assumptions based on stats.

If only those players are winning slams it might also point to a lack of depth in the top 10/ top 20.
You jump to some big assumptions based on stats.

If only those players are winning slams it might also point to a lack of depth in the top 10/ top 20.
I've just agreed with someone who made the same point, but those 4 have won 50 out of the last 57 slams and regardless of whether you think I'm jumping to conclusions or whatever - that kind of dominance by a few players will be unlikely to happen again over such a long period

You're just referring to an arbitary period of time not an era.
so 14 years of dominance by 4 players doesn't count as an era - Ok whatever

Last edited:
Fantastic and yet exceptionally frustrating player.

His record speaks for itself and to achieve what he did in this era is phenomenal. Having said that he should have won more Grand Slams, he certainly threw away at least one Australian Open. So to finish with the same number of Grand Slams as Wawrinka despite going toe to toe with the top 3 for the best part of a decade understates his talent. He'd just somehow find away to beat himself.

Always loved his personality, so dry and droll. Most people seemed to think he was dull and humourless, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

For me, being in my late 40s, Wimbledon, and to a lesser degree any other men's tennis grand slam event became the holy grail for British sport. Team sports aside, we had no cycling pedigree (although that's changed), we were pretty decent in athletics, darts and snooker were pub games played by fat lads and dull Welshmen, we'd always been good at motorsports but tennis, tennis, we were shite! Then along came Greg and he got to a final but he was Canadian, and along came Tim and he got to 937 semi-finals but finally, finally, we had Andy Murray and he won Wimbledon, the holy grail! A legend...

Note: Adam Peaty is probably our greatest sportsman.

For me, being in my late 40s, Wimbledon, and to a lesser degree any other men's tennis grand slam event became the holy grail for British sport. Team sports aside, we had no cycling pedigree (although that's changed), we were pretty decent in athletics, darts and snooker were pub games played by fat lads and dull Welshmen, we'd always been good at motorsports but tennis, tennis, we were shite! Then along came Greg and he got to a final but he was Canadian, and along came Tim and he got to 937 semi-finals but finally, finally, we had Andy Murray and he won Wimbledon, the holy grail! A legend...

Note: Adam Peaty is probably our greatest sportsman.

When Mcilroy raced to 5 majors I thought he'd be in consideration by now but he's still time on his side, but the completion is fierce to say the least in what I belive is the most competitive sport in the world

When Mcilroy raced to 5 majors I thought he'd be in consideration by now but he's still time on his side, but the completion is fierce to say the least in what I belive is the most competitive sport in the world

To correct myself it's 4 majors

I belive he'll end up with 8-10 by the time he's finished and that would put him up there with the very best the country has produced imo

Back