No from me too.

Difficult to choose who is though. Sort of people I'm thinking:

Steve Redgrave
Alastair Cook
Daley Thompson
Chris Hoy
Lee Cattermole
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Paula Radcliffe (if we're allowed sports women too)
Steve Cram
Sebastian Coe
Nick Faldo

I'm sure I'll have missed other obvious contenders.

Missed out Jocky Wilson !

It's a shame when a top sportsperson retires before their time due to injury.

He's up with the best of them in British terms. I'm sure the Jocks will have him as one of their Greatest ever. He always seems like a good bloke to me. It was an emotional press conference for him, but the reality of his injuries have finally hit home.

I agree with the OP to be honest - I've followed tennis for over 45 years and most British tennis fans have waited their entire lives for this guy to come through, and most of us were aware of him from a very young age.
He did it from outside the established system which makes his achievements even more remarkable, and in an era where he was one of probably the most talented top 4 in the history of the game (although there are many people who believe that 2 of those 4 were not without assistance of a certain kind)
The comparisons with Perry are difficult to justify - Perry played in an era where it was a sport played in a few countries by a few people compared to the massive global sport that it is today
I honestly believe that he could have doubled or trebled the number of titles that he won if he had been born 10 years earlier or later

I agree with the OP to be honest - I've followed tennis for over 45 years and most British tennis fans have waited their entire lives for this guy to come through, and most of us were aware of him from a very young age.
He did it from outside the established system which makes his achievements even more remarkable, and in an era where he was one of probably the most talented top 4 in the history of the game (although there are many people who believe that 2 of those 4 were not without assistance of a certain kind)
The comparisons with Perry are difficult to justify - Perry played in an era where it was a sport played in a few countries by a few people compared to the massive global sport that it is today
I honestly believe that he could have doubled or trebled the number of titles that he won if he had been born 10 years earlier or later

Are you having a laugh man?

Back