Andy Murray

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Deano, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Cox Green Fc

Cox Green Fc Full Back

Miserable man

Butcher's Coat likes this.
  2. jacko100

jacko100 Winger

:lol::lol:

True though!

You could easily name a list of likeable winners that are popular with most.

Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Steve Redgrave
    Mo Farah
    Chris Hoy
    Steve Cram

etc

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. super noodles

super noodles Winger

Let's not forget about the highlight of his career

4. Discopants91

Discopants91 Striker

He's nee Phil Taylor.

5. buster

buster Winger

Been crippled by his mother’s determination to have a successful tennis player for a son.

Ashley In!! likes this.
  6. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Striker

No-one is like Jeff Whitely.

jubblies likes this.
  7. Ashley In!!

Ashley In!! Striker

Her pursuit of fame for herself has always been a bit of a weird one. Doing Strictly, famous for being Andy Murray's mam.............

8. Fantastic career, shame it’s been cut short but he’s the greatest British tennis player of all time by some distance. He should be very proud.

9. Banjo

Banjo Goalkeeper

An excellent sportsman who’s made millions has had his career cut short through an unfortunate injury. Must be devastating for him but don’t come on the telly like you’ve just lost a member of your family ffs! My brother, along with thousands of others, is just about to receive his redundancy notice from Jaguar Landrover. He’s got two kids and a mortgage. I know who I’ve got sympathy for!

obrienobrien and Butcher's Coat like this.
  10. buster

buster Winger

Your brother any good at tennis ?

11. Not really sure he was intending to turn it into a game of sympathy Top Trumps when he was interviewed tbh. It clearly dawned on him during the knock about with Novac that his career was over and things were a bit raw.

Dubai Si likes this.
  12. Banjo

Banjo Goalkeeper

What a sad fucking twat you are!

buster likes this.
  13. viccarlton

viccarlton Striker

Not even close.
    And to make matters worse the BBC lunchtime news has his retirement as their lead story, pathetic.

Banjo likes this.
  14. :lol:

15. Fred Perry is the most successful British tennis player ever.

8 grand slams, 2 doubles grand slams, 4 mixed doubles grand slams and 4 Davis Cups.

First person to win all four major grand slams in a season.

Murray is still a phenomenal sportsman though. Watching him win Wimbledon will always be a great memory.

errant, sedling and Banjo like this.
  16. vinegar hill

vinegar hill Striker

He's the greatest British tennis player of all time end of.
    His only serious rival would be Fred Perry, but I would suggest that Murray's achievements in the ultra competitive modern era surpasses Perry's from the 30's.

17. buster

buster Winger

Anyone but England.

18. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter Goalkeeper

Woah over egging it a bit there. You think he'd be as successful as Sampras??

For people who say he's unfortunate to be a tough era, do you realise that playing consistently against the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic has improved him as player (which he often has pointed out) and possibly wouldn't been as good a player in a different era therefore having not been exposed to these guys? It works both ways I think.

I think Murray in a different era could've gotten 5-6 slams, but I'd be hesitant to suggest he would've been in double figures.

19. bu-bu-buchanon

bu-bu-buchanon Striker

So maybe around the Agassi level then ? Still very impressive

20. TopCat

TopCat Striker

I think the point is that in most eras there were 1 or maybe 2 stand outs (McEnore/Bjorg, or Becker/Lendl etc) but this era has seen 4 stand out players and in that respect, Murray is unlucky
    Maybe 10-15 was a bit over the top, but he'd be close to 10 IMHO. He's won 3 and lost in 7 finals (I think)