An idiots guide to Slimming World....

is what I need please.

My mate’s lass is on it and has lost a ton of weight and I just can’t get my head around the diet and the theory behind it all. Can anyone explain in absolute layman terms.

My understanding of weight gain/loss is basic to say the least - calorie surplus = weight gain, calorie deficit = weight loss. Slimming World seems to fly in the face of this. For example pasta is apparently allowed ‘syn free’ meaning that in theory under the rules (though probably not in the spirit) of the diet you could eat a mound of it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and still be compliant and expect to lose weight. Is that right?

How does it work?

Your mates lass will be on a calorie deficit which will be ridiculously low and she lose loads of weight for however long she can sustain it for, she'll then leave Slimming world and put most of the weight back on so she'll join Slimming world again because it is the only thing that works and rinse and repeat...

It's a vicious circle, however, it does work for some where the weight stays off and habits change. Just my opinion like, I had a lass who used to follow this cycle on a regular basis.

Your mates lass will be on a calorie deficit which will be ridiculously low and she lose loads of weight for however long she can sustain it for, she'll then leave Slimming world and put most of the weight back on so she'll join Slimming world again because it is the only thing that works and rinse and repeat...

It's a vicious circle, however, it does work for some where the weight stays off and habits change. Just my opinion like, I had a lass who used to follow this cycle on a regular basis.
My wife lost a load of weight on SW about 10 years ago and it does encourage slow steady weight loss and change of eating habits , it’s not like Lighter Life etc where it’s a quick weight loss then you don’t actually learn anything about portion sizes, feeling full etc. Until the kids came along she was never more than half a stone over target.

However, what she discovered by learning more about nutrition in the post-kids years is that by encouraging unlimited pasta, rice etc you are making yourself feel fuller so you don’t over eat as much, but you end up consuming far too many carbs compared to the other macros. By tracking calories and taking in the right amounts of protein, fat and carbs her body composition is much better now than it’s ever been.

Last edited:
I don't get it at all.

This morning I diced an apple and stewed it with just a bit of cinnamon. I added that to a bowl of plain porridge, so just oats and milk. Apple, oats and milk are healthy right?

Oats counts as a syn. I don't get why oats are bad but I could eat as much refined pasta as I want?

If I'd just eaten the apple without cooking it, that would have been syn free. As I cooked it, that would count as a syn. How the hell does that work? Unless my microwave is blasting the apple with calories behind my back, there's no change to the nutritional value of the apple at all.

I don't get it at all.

This morning I diced an apple and stewed it with just a bit of cinnamon. I added that to a bowl of plain porridge, so just oats and milk. Apple, oats and milk are healthy right?

Oats counts as a syn. I don't get why oats are bad but I could eat as much refined pasta as I want?

If I'd just eaten the apple without cooking it, that would have been syn free. As I cooked it, that would count as a syn. How the hell does that work? Unless my microwave is blasting the apple with calories behind my back, there's no change to the nutritional value of the apple at all.

I think if you analyse it you will continue to find more things that don’t make perfect sense. As a general guide it heavily restricts fat, sugar and booze and people who stick to it do lose weight.

I don't get it at all.

No idea on the oats but it does seem to be a fairly sugar focused diet, does cooking fruit release sugars in the same way blending them does?

I don't get it at all.

I believe the theory around stewed and puréed fruit is its much easier to overeat so they put syns on it to prevent people being stupid and having 7 smoothies a day.

I don't get it at all.

tbf, I think cooking fruits does reduce their nutricial values and raises their GI.

My Mrs does weight watchers and it works for her, well both of us really as we eat more or less same meals vast majority of times. I think she doesn't need it but you know what ladies can be like sometimes... ;)

She doesn't do the classes mind, just uses the app. She converted from slimming world as she felt she was sticking a bit with them.

It works, more so for the larger people as they burn so much calories naturally. But I mean if you said to some one 300lbs+ cut takeaways and fizzy pop and try hit 10,000 steps ... 99% of the time they'd lose weight.

Problem is at SW the wife at the front of the class is giving out advice to everyone, where one lady could be burning 2000 calories and the other 4000 ... one will lose, one will maintain, and some may even gain... as they're all eating the same amount ( or given an idea of the same amount )

It's intuitive eating, that will work if you LUCKILY fall into a caloric deficit.

The whole thing is sneaky though, they use terms like free food, syns, body magic etc so people stay clueless ...

We just teach what's on the back of a food packet. You join us, you learn, you get results, and you leave. Our business model is not smart for reapeat business, where as slimming world if you lose, you regain, and come back.

I'd rather meet some one in the street and them tell me how they used to be with us and we helped changed their life rather than them say they're a 5 year member filling my pockets.

Companies are sneaky. just teach people wtf they need to know and try help them

If a lad from roker who can spell FUDGE with his GCSE's can teach people I'm sure a multi million pound company like slimming world could if they choose too.

Last edited:
Whee's RH Fitness on here again? @supersesh?

He knows the score and is much cheaper than slimming world and you can eat what you want

Did this for a few months, lost a stone, coupled with regular gym work then put the stone back on I'd assume in muscle as I look a lot better. I'd join Team RH if I were you.

My favourite video was the apple cider vinegar...
I don't get it at all.

If you have a banana it's syn free.

If you mash it isn't

But the banana gets mashed if you chew it...

So theoretically to not have a synful banana one must deepthroat it @supersesh

Last edited:
is what I need please.

My mate’s lass is on it and has lost a ton of weight and I just can’t get my head around the diet and the theory behind it all. Can anyone explain in absolute layman terms.

My understanding of weight gain/loss is basic to say the least - calorie surplus = weight gain, calorie deficit = weight loss. Slimming World seems to fly in the face of this. For example pasta is apparently allowed ‘syn free’ meaning that in theory under the rules (though probably not in the spirit) of the diet you could eat a mound of it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and still be compliant and expect to lose weight. Is that right?

How does it work?
If youre on facey, follow rh fitness.
They will tell u everything u need to know about sw
I don't get it at all.

I think sw have bananas sin free if they are mashed!
It's f***ing nonsense.
Also a lot of their food is syn free, but if you buy lower calorie supermarket brands they will have syns.
It's a massive con.
Try to understand food by using myfitness pal, to see the cals in food, and try to work out how many cals u need by a simple tdee calc.

Last edited:

Back