An idiots guide to Slimming World....

If I'd just eaten the apple without cooking it, that would have been syn free. As I cooked it, that would count as a syn. How the hell does that work? Unless my microwave is blasting the apple with calories behind my back, there's no change to the nutritional value of the apple at all.

Someone on here not long back, possibly Cat, claimed that cooking onions magically synthesised some extra sugar content :lol:

is what I need please.

My mate’s lass is on it and has lost a ton of weight and I just can’t get my head around the diet and the theory behind it all. Can anyone explain in absolute layman terms.

My understanding of weight gain/loss is basic to say the least - calorie surplus = weight gain, calorie deficit = weight loss. Slimming World seems to fly in the face of this. For example pasta is apparently allowed ‘syn free’ meaning that in theory under the rules (though probably not in the spirit) of the diet you could eat a mound of it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and still be compliant and expect to lose weight. Is that right?

How does it work?

They charge sheeple a fiver to get weighed in a church hall in front of others to create vicious competition. Susan can't have that bitch Tracey losing more than her so she sticks to the plan religiously and continues to attend the meetings, continuing to line SW's pocket. They get brainwashed by the "information" they are taught because they end up in a calorie deficit and end up losing weight, but they don't teach them the actual science. Susan (who's obsessed by weight) ends up losing 10lbs in a week and she's buzzing, not realising that losing weight that quick will result in muscle loss, retaining fat, and most of that weight will be water, so at a later date she becomes skinny fat. Frustrated, she goes on a massive binge, stops going to SW, and puts all the clem back on, if not more. When she decides she wants to get "skinny" again, the brainwashed inevitably goes back to this cult.

Last edited:
Exercise... Burn more calories off than you eat...= weight loss... Never lose more than a pound a week .. It's not good for you... A slow plan over 6 months gives your body time to adjust... Good luck...

Exercise... Burn more calories off than you eat...= weight loss... Never lose more than a pound a week .. It's not good for you... A slow plan over 6 months gives your body time to adjust... Good luck...
I'd go with that, although I think a well educated person on the matter who knew what they were doing and understood basics like macros could lose more than 1lb a week...especially those with more to lose and in initial phases.

My advice would be to weigh yourself naked or in underwear, and in the morning after going to the toilet. Once you start weighing yourself on an evening or at variable times, with clothes on etc. you are increasing the risk of daily variables changing your results...especially when talking about a lb here and there.

I weigh myself everyday as I am quite obsessive about it, but I only make a note if the highs & lows average out for a full week

Back