An Entirely Personal View on this Bloody Message Board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paris Mackem

Midfield
I log onto this message board every friggin day and it's starting to piss-me off something rotten. Feckin' doom & feckin gloom everywhere. What a miserable bunch of bar-stewards some of you are. Fecking abusing my club and every opposing supporter who logs on. We try and call ourselves the best supporters in the land but the posts by some of you on here just make that claim look feckin' stupid with your vitriolic outbursts against both our club and against the barcodes who frequent this site. Protests? The frigin close season ain't even finished yet and already you're talking about returning season tickets, staging protests and such like. Just Feck Off... but hold on, I'm confused...

Having said all that, I also agree with a lot of the posts that I have just criticised and that just pisses me off even more! I agree that unless platforms like this board existed and such posts could be aired, then perhaps things would not change. Catch-22.

I'm as pissed-off with the current non-activity as anyone. I want to see the ambition in the club that I have supported for 40 odd years. Bloody Reidy has taken untold shit and Yes, I think he deserves a lot of it but I still hold out the hope that people learn from their mistakes. You all say "look at this crap signing or that crap signing" and he can't be trusted with any more money - but Reidy must be conscious of his previous failures. I'm sure he's not oblivious to what goes on on this message board. I for one think that he is now trying his best not to repeat his mistakes and that he is doing his utmost to bring in quality before the season starts. I've nothing to back that up, just a gut feeling that if I was in his shoes, I would be busting a gut to do my best for the club and the fans. If he bought in more shite now then he'd be crucified. So if he doesn't bring in the quality then I'm with Roly, in October it's bye bye.

Get things into a bit of perspective, we still have a couple of weeks. If in that time Reidy brings in Keane, Sinclair & Campo or players of their ilk, then we'll all be made-up. If he doesn't make those sort of signings then I'll get me coat.
I've said before, this club is well-placed in every aspect to start going places. The outlook has not looked so rosy in the 40 years that I've been a supporter.

If they fail now it will be unforgivable.

So stop the shit, the club seems to be doing their best to make us a laughing stock at the moment although they still have a few weeks to make us eat our words. But my God, IMHO people on here are making the situation far far worse.

Do you feel better after that tirade?

What you have to remember Paris Mackem is that this forum is for people to air their views - just as you have. Not everyone is going to agree with everything that's said on this board - and thank God for that.

You have some very valid points but appear to be (in your own words) 'confused'. There are some contradictory issues in your post but you're entitled to your opinion and I accept that.

People on here, in the main, are passionate about SAFC and I have no doubt that, even if we had qualified for the Champions League last season, there would STILL be people coming on here and criticising the club, the way it's run, the manager, the chairman and so on. We all want success at this club. It does no harm to let others know how you feel.

Keep the faith mate.

You say you hope Reidy can learn from his mistakes, I for one reckon tht is one thing he cannot and will do because he is so arrogant.

I think the ones spouting the doom and gloom are just the ones who are smelling the coffee.

This was an entirely personal point of view by the way.

Expectations are not managed appropriately, Murray is uncommunicative, and Reid is uni-dimensional. If these issues were addressed all of us would at least know where we stood - at the moment we're all getting pissed off because we don't really know what's going on and its frustrating as hell.

Those who agree with us might not be right but we admire their astuteness. I can't remember who to acredit that quote to, but it's a lovely piece of humourous wisdom. Just think how boring it would be if every agreed on everything. Mostly, we are all pissed off at the moment, probrally none more than we old timers. I too have 40 odd seasons under my belt and what annoys me more than anything that amongst all the missed opportunities over the years, the biggest has just been missed. Just about 18 months ago, this club was standing on a doorstep of the promised land and they have bottled it, and in doing so have put us back years. The opening of the SOL (full credit to BM for that btw) and the success that followed gave Sunderland a higher profile than we have experienced in our lifetimes, but it all came to a halt 18 months ago and we have deterioated since. You're damn right I'm a miserable fucker, but having been let down like never before have I not a right to be. Have I not the right to criticize. I didn't create the expectation nor promise to drive it home. Those who did have failed to deliver and I am going to shout them down from the rooftops. Bob Murray doesn't have the balls to take this club to where it ought to be and Peter Reid lacks the abilty in his department. Bob Murray doesn't have the balls to sack Peter Reid. Peter Reid does not have the balls to take on Bob Murray the way John Gregory did with Doug Ellis. We are now stagnant and those in a position to effect change appear to be doing nothing. No pressure on Reid from Murray and no pressure on Murray from Reid. I don't want to be a critical miserable fucker, but until such time as I see tangible evidence that something is being done to turn things round, that's just the way I'm going to be. I love my football club, I have renewed my season ticket, I will support Sunderland until the day I die, it's in my blood, generations of it, loyalty to SAFC comes as natural as breathing. You can't just go building a wonderful new stadium, hint at a new culture and leave it at that, the job is only half done and I will remain miserable until I see the job on the way to completion.

Yet another rant bites the dust.

Fecking great post corvus, that's the passion I need to hear and one that reflects my own. Maybe I haven't reached the all time low yet but if something doesn't happen soon...

I for one don't subscribe to this "best supporters in the country" claim. What criteria did we ever fulfill to earn ourselves this title?

Did we travel 500 miles to Exeter in December on a Wednesday night to find out the pitch was frozen and the game abandoned?

Did we watch our team go bankrupt and out of the league and rebuild it from the depths of non league football?

Did we fight tooth and nail to save our club from foreign businessmen who wanted to move it fifty miles away and change its name?

The simple answer is no. When it comes to loyalty and dedication even the best, diehard Sunderland fan is an amateur compared to a Darlington, Aldershot or Wimbledon fan. We have had it easy in comparison.

Thing we do have in abundance is "passion" for our club. One week we are world-beaters and we'll follow them to the ends of the earth, the next we are total crap and we will never go back again - because our feelings are so intense, there is no in-between. Some people might call this "fickle" and they are probably right in a way, but the one thing we have is a desire - nay, a desparation - to see our club do well and it tends to cloud our judgement and objectivity.

One of the most moving series of posts I have seen on this board.

Exactly, there is a passion about our club that is hard to match. Best suppporters in the land? Don't know about that but who cares? This is our club and we are going to make this new world order a reality.

great post corvus SHOULD BE KNIGHTED NEVER MIND........

NOMINATED...............thats exactly how i feel myself. :cry:

Just want to agree about the post from Corvus...

absolutely spot on. 3 years ago I could dream (for the first time ever) of SAFC fulfilling its potential. Now the meejah tells us we whinge at the overachievement of 17th place and 2 first round cup defeats at the hands of Div 1 opposition, while an average Mags side waltzes into the Champions League (the worst team ever to play in it? Discuss).

Oh bollox. Anyone got any cyanide? :(

I agree with Smoker's take on the 'best supporters in the land' thing.

Apart from this side issue, I agree with the rest of the sentiments expressed by Paris Mackem in his opening gambit.

I also agree with Corvus that opportunities have been missed time and time again over the last 40 years. And that the opportunity to invest in the team when we were 2nd in the table was missed. This is tempered however, by the fact that this may yet prove to have been a very prudent move by the club. In light of the upheaval in football finances. Maybe we'll be better off in the long run for not over-reaching. Incurring debt just as the silly money is drying up.

A case of tough-love?

It's not all doom and gloom for me. Regardless of the current mood we are still in a better position than we were not so long ago. The set-back of last season is not irretrievable. I prefer not to give up hope.

And that means even in the worst case scenario, which I presume everyone would agree would be no signings before the deadline, same set-up as last season, I would still refuse to give up hope.

What hope would I cling to you may well ask? Well simply this,

THAT WE CAN ALL GET BEHIND THE TEAM DURING THE MATCH.

This is our role. We can be as good as anybody at it. Which is not the same as saying we are the best supporters in the land, because it's undeniable.

This is what supporting means.

1973 is the most stark example in football history* of how a crowd can inspire a team.

2001/2 was one of the worst performances I can recall as far as encouragement went.

We all presumably would, had the gods of football smiled upon us, have liked to have played for SAFC; How many would have honestly relished playing in front of the last season's crowd. For me it's no wonder some kids are not getting their chance.

Please don't confuse this with the Reid/Murray in/out debate. This is going to come to a head sooner or later, and we all know both sides of the argument backwards anyway.

My entirely personal view of this message board stems from a belief that this is indeed an ideal forum for expressing heart-felt views about the club. And as some previous posts demonstrate, this can be done in a manner that is likely to receive more consideration than would a stream of abuse.

I want to hear your views about our club. That's why I log on to this board.
But I feel we also have to play our part in our club, so please, I beg you from the bottom of my red and white heart, whatever may happen in the future, please be prepared to support the TEAM during the 90 mins.

Then see what a difference WE can make.

WE are Sunderland, we are SUNDERLAND.

PS The club could help by scrapping the pre-match 'entertainment' and allowing an atmosphere to build up.

* (At least as far as I'm concerned it is)

Congrats Corvus exelent post!

Must agree with the later post on support however. Last season the sense of apathy? for want of a better word was overwhelming. I'm normaly a bit of a radgie gadgie but found myself last season stairing silently at the pitch virtualy every game. Its difficult to know why? was it the lack of pasion on the pitch (Dont think so that normaly gets me gannin) Terable football? (Possibly) or the environs of the SSOL with all its 'new' fans?
Its difficult to put a finger on the exact reason but however next season goes I hope and pray this 'apathy' it not present. The biggest reason I go to games is the crowd. Weather its 18000 or 48000 does not matter Its the pasion of sunderland supporters that keeps me going and if this goes then bugger it, that will be me finished.

I think "Apathy" was the right word for it, and I think it possibly was due to the style of play. When we were crap (and I mean really crap - struggling in the first etc) there was always the sense that we might get better. That we may snatch a well earned goal, that we might cause an upset, that the players may be underskilled but are working tirelessly. Last season there wasn't that spark to ignite the passion. Yep we turned up every game, but there wasn't the hope that we might turn things around. I think shortly after the turn of the year, most people just wanted the season to finish. We clearly weren't good enought for Europe, and a continuing bad run just wasn't worth thinking about.
So far in this close season we've not had anything whatsoever to ignite that spark. This is why we see all these doom and gloom postings. If we sign a couple of quality players, then suddenly we might get that sense that, Yes we can improve, Yes we might be able to put last season behind us. If/when it comes, maybe it will take apathy with it. Here's hoping. :?

What I don't understand is, 80% of the posters on this board could fix the problem with 15 mill......

e.g.
Kelly 2.5 (Dirty Leeds)
Thompson 3.5 (Struggling Coventry)
Christie / Flo / Keane - All under 10 mill......

It really is a doddle this manger lark......

What is Reid busy doing ?? Nowt at a guess, the atmosphere was rubbih last year as instead of looking forward to the matches, I was dreading them. They were the worst part of the day out instead of the best...awful, bloody awful it was ... :cry:

Corvus,as yet another 40-year plus man,I stand and applaud you.Exactlyhow I feel.I bet I can even name the game you have in mind:West Ham away,January 2001.We won most professionally and go a clear 2nd. in the league.

What makes me most angry is that I knew we were really on the verge of great things then.What followed is no investment in the team,complacency,inability to react to events.

I bet Keane or Tamudo or Gudjohnsen would have jumped at the chance to join us then....

Well said guys some cracking posts possibly summing up the majority of SAFC fans feelings.

But I,m still a little confused as to WHY !

WHY , 18 months ago they didn't take the plunge and go for it.WE would have stood with\ by them (gladly and proudly thru thick and thin).

WHY , did we ever get rid of Hutchison who in my opinion was by far the most creative\imaginative midfielder we have ever had in the 37 years I've watched the lads :?:

WHY , has it taken over 18 months for them to apparently realise\recognise we were within touching distance of the promised land :?:
(and they blew it!)

WHY , I tell you why, because Murray and Reid shit there PANTS!!!!!!!!
(we went too far too fast and they couldn't handle it) :x

I live in hope that they will LEARN from this debarcle, but they also need to know they will never ever be given another chance by SAFC fans!

red lenny said:
Corvus,as yet another 40-year plus man,I stand and applaud you.Exactlyhow I feel.I bet I can even name the game you have in mind:West Ham away,January 2001.We won most professionally and go a clear 2nd. in the league.

That was the game. Stan the man and a sneaky Hutch (money grabbing Mag bastid) freekick. We came out of there singing "On our way to Europe" and it was like "the world is our lobster Terence".

Icarus-like.

We can get back to that feeling so bloody easily.

Good posts guys. The question that needs answering is was last season a blip or the previous two? I think the last season happened because we didn't learn from the previous season's mistakes. From January the season before we were dreadful and the 7th place that season was a fluke. Last season we were unlucky at times but 'you make your own luck' and we were so dour we didn't really deserve any. Both those seasons we deserved to finish about 14th IMO. So not a blip, just generally a bit rubbish.

I think the first few games of the season we've all got to get behind the lads to try and inspire some confidence. Negativity ain't going to help. After that though if it's still shte, then is the time for protests and reid outers to be more vocal. That's my opinion anyway.

And if any of the total pessimistas want some cyanide, I've got a bottle in the lab upstairs. :wink: Hey, at least McM****y isn't in charge.

Hard to say whether it will be a blip or not, I guess we can only answer that at the end of this coming season.
However, a couple of things. We've mentioned Hutch. I think all parties agreed that the best thing was for him to got to West Ham. His heart was set on it, and it would possibly be counter-productive forcing him to stay. The big question raised is why was he then not replaced quickly. And why have the likes of Summerbee not been replaced.
One answer mentioned is that we've grown so fast, so quickly that PR and Bob didn't know what to do. That could well be the case. They may well have not wanted to make a hasty decision and have thought we needed another season of consolidation. I'm not sure why mind. One other answer is that there was some balancing act going on with finances and share prices. This we're never likely to find out but I'd suspect there's more to it that simply a footballing thing. I reckon PR knew at the start of last season that our squad was weakened and on a purely football level we needed to do something about it.

Big Thanks to all who replied to this post. My original post was written in order to prevoke a response and the response it has received is the one that I wanted - PASSION. Passion for SAFC. None of this "I'm returning my season ticket" before the season has even begun, none of this "Reidy is fekin' crap and should go now", none of this "he ain't bought nobody and I'm jacking it in" crap. In the final analysis of the replies, we don't care about the personalities in charge - we only care about our club. As some people said, the issue of manager or chairman will eventually come to a head and what will happen will happen. They are just the temporary caretakers - We are Sunderland AFC - and our voice will be heard no matter what.

Some time this season you will hear a voice screaming out these words, so just remember to join in with the last line :

It's Just..
The Hope..
That I Can't Stand!

Stand By Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back