American sport films

It's a film genre that I particularly avoid I have to say. Americans and their sports have little interest for me, I can't think of one I liked. Sorry - I'm adding nothing to this thread, I'll leave. :lol:

Just remembered one - Breaking Away, I rather enjoyed.

The original Longest Yard is brilliant (won't watch the remake on principal)

I haven't seen the original yet but I enjoyed the remake. It's very "Adam Sandler" in places but had a lot of scenes of the types that I wouldn't usually expect in his movies that I suspect are hat-tips to the original. If you like Adam Sandler and you like that sort of sports movie, then I'd say give it a try, even if you have to try to forget it's a remake. It's not a classic but it's an entertaining yarn.

Not a film but a good documentary on Netflix called Last Chance U. Problem kids from big college football programmes are taken in by a lower level college in Mississippi for a final chance at making it.

A few NFL players have come through there.

I've been tempted to give this a go but the fact it's a documentary has put me off so far as I'm not really into American Football that much usually (fiction movies/TV shows aside).

I did watch the Superbowl this year but it's the first one I've watched in years.

Worth checking out then?

It's a film genre that I particularly avoid I have to say. Americans and their sports have little interest for me, I can't think of one I liked. Sorry - I'm adding nothing to this thread, I'll leave. :lol:

Just remembered one - Breaking Away, I rather enjoyed.

Check out Field Of Dreams, man, woman, man. If you're not crying by the end of it, I'll eat my baseball cap.

I've been tempted to give this a go but the fact it's a documentary has put me off so far as I'm not really into American Football that much usually (fiction movies/TV shows aside).

I did watch the Superbowl this year but it's the first one I've watched in years.

Worth checking out then?

Check out Field Of Dreams, man, woman, man. If you're not crying by the end of it, I'll eat my baseball cap.

I mean it is 100% documentary like, and I am very much into American Football so maybe I'm not best placed to recommend. Watch an episode, if you're not keen immediately then it's not gonna be for you.

I have to admit I enjoyed that at the time, but it hasn't aged well for me. I tried to watch it recently and found it all a bit irritating! Plus - Costner! I must admit I'm probably more critical these days. :)

I mean it is 100% documentary like, and I am very much into American Football so maybe I'm not best placed to recommend. Watch an episode, if you're not keen immediately then it's not gonna be for you.

Fair enough. :)

It's weird, I really love fictional movies and TV shows about American football but I couldn't name a single real player in history that wasn't part of the Chicago Bears team that released the rap song "Superbowl Shuffle" in the 80's before their Superbowl clash with the Dallas Cowboys. :lol:

Pretty much the same with baseball, I know the names Babe Ruth and Shoeless Joe Jackson and would probably say "Oh yeah I've heard of them" to a couple of others but otherwise couldn't name any players, yet I love baseball movies passionately.

Last edited:
I have to admit I enjoyed that at the time, but it hasn't aged well for me. I tried to watch it recently and found it all a bit irritating! Plus - Costner! I must admit I'm probably more critical these days. :)

Ah, I'm a fan of the Cos anyway but I watched Field Of Dreams last week for the umpteenth time with the missus who had never seen it, and it had us both in tears by the end. :lol:

Back