American Health Care

My oldest son has type 1 diabetes, the thought of what is happening with the nhs fills me with dread. He has his whole life to go being dependant on expensive medication and supplies, not to mention the team that work with us to better control his condition to ultimately prevent future costly illnesses. I would be interested to know if in an American system would we still have that team of nurses and consultants at hand or would be happy to make an industry from his illness, funded by insurance companies.

His team was first class best hospital he's ever been in and most importantly they were quick. As long as you have insurance you're fine.
No you’re not.

US healthcare is fantastic. But only if you ate covered. It's not fair and it leaves millions potentially without medical treatment but whoever has it is set.
Unless you have a pre existing condition. Or the insurance company finds small print that says you’re not covered. Or you go over you lifetime limit.

Us health insurance is still shit even if you are insured.

Out of interest, how much does health insurance cost per month in the US?

This
Statistics from eHealthInsurance.com show health insurance premiums for unsubsidized individual customers were $321 per month on average, while family premiums averaged $833 per month. Additionally, the average individual deductible was $4,358 and the family deductible averaged $7,983. Data from the annual Milliman Medical Index shows the most common health care plan for a family of four costs on average $28,166 in 2018.

Last edited:
What the fuck has it got to do with you what I spend my money on.
I couldn't give a fuck what you spend your money on, get over the states and get it done there, nothing stopping you, we have our own system here and it's a good one If everyone contributes and uses it correctly, we don't need people fast tracking, because they have more cash than others.

How does America work with preventative medication?

People are entitled to free things like an over 40's MOT type check up, smear tests, vaccinations etc. All designed to prevent health conditions or nip anything in the bud and treat it before it turns into something more serious. Do you get anything like that with insurance or do people have to pay for stuff like that?

Just curious!

People are entitled to free things like an over 40's MOT type check up, smear tests, vaccinations etc. All designed to prevent health conditions or nip anything in the bud and treat it before it turns into something more serious. Do you get anything like that with insurance or do people have to pay for stuff like that?

Just curious!
Fee exempt prescriptions for post cancer care as well. How does that work?

I couldn't give a fuck what you spend your money on, get over the states and get it done there, nothing stopping you, we have our own system here and it's a good one If everyone contributes and uses it correctly, we don't need people fast tracking, because they have more cash than others.
Pay my taxes in uk and I will pay for private care if I want to. It’s a good system but not everyone contributes or uses it correctly.

Just curious!
I'd imagine it would be to the benefit of the insurance company to offer preventative cover.

Out of interest, how much does health insurance cost per month in the US?

As with most things insurance based it depends on what is covered and what deductibles you are comfortable with.

I pay just shy of $1,300 a month to cover me, the wife and the lad. That is a fairly comprehensive policy but still leads to out of pocket expenses.

No you’re not.

Unless you have a pre existing condition. Or the insurance company finds small print that says you’re not covered. Or you go over you lifetime limit.

Us health insurance is still shit even if you are insured.

Statistics from eHealthInsurance.com show health insurance premiums for unsubsidized individual customers were $321 per month on average, while family premiums averaged $833 per month. Additionally, the average individual deductible was $4,358 and the family deductible averaged $7,983. Data from the annual Milliman Medical Index shows the most common health care plan for a family of four costs on average $28,166 in 2018.

Last time I was in the US with work I amazed at the figures lads were bandying about for health insurance, tbf I was amazed at how much some were paying for property tax aswell

You don’t think people should be allowed to pay to go private?

I don't think there should be any private provision of essential public services, including healthcare - I have no problem with people going private for cosmetic procedures, but anything that's essential for health, I don't think you should be able to skip the queue because you earn more.

Even if you have adequate insurance, having an existing condiion could prevent you from moving jobs or speaking out against your employer as another company's insurance provider wouldn't take you on. Just what big business wants to keep you in your place.
As of right now this is not the case thanks to Obamacare but if the Tangerine Twat gets his way Obamacare will be dismantled and pre existing protections will evaporate.

I'd imagine it would be to the benefit of the insurance company to offer preventative cover.
Each time I change jobs, and sometimes year to year within the same job, my coverage is altered but preventative care is not uncommon. Currently I would be reimbursed for an annual physical, blood and urine tests, colonoscopy, etc. and for the bewers mammograms and flange tests.

Last edited:
So you'd be happier with an American system then?
No. Why would I be happy with their system?

I don't think there should be any private provision of essential public services, including healthcare - I have no problem with people going private for cosmetic procedures, but anything that's essential for health, I don't think you should be able to skip the queue because you earn more.
Even if you pay more in than most through taxes and then don’t use public services?

Last edited:

Back