Amble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommendations please for weekend away with mates.
Pubs with real ale.
Somewhere for evening meal. Can be pub or restaurant but nowt too posh as we'll have been drinking all day.
Walk to blow off cobwebs on Saturday morning. Nothing too strenuous, maybe 2-3 hours with a pub stop at some point. I was thinking of heading past Warkworth Castle then towards the coast and walking back along the river.

Obviously Google has a lot of information but I'd hope the SMB would have useful first hand knowledge.

There's a few nice places for meals but less of a real ale scene - warkworth has more options

Evening meals

The old boathouse
Zeccas
The old storehouse
New Italian on Queen St getting good reviews too

Spurellis for icecream

For fish and chips go to the harbour chippy not the one right by the quay - they do beanies in there

Pubs with real ale.
Somewhere for evening meal. Can be pub or restaurant but nowt too posh as we'll have been drinking all day.
Walk to blow off cobwebs on Saturday morning. Nothing too strenuous, maybe 2-3 hours with a pub stop at some point. I was thinking of heading past Warkworth Castle then towards the coast and walking back along the river.

Obviously Google has a lot of information but I'd hope the SMB would have useful first hand knowledge.
The walk up to Warkworth Castle is about twenty minutes like so it'll not be a testing stroll by any means.

Some canny bars down near the harbour village.

love Amble, me.

food - zecca or the old storehouse or the wellwood. Zecca is near enough on the main street so ideal to stumble into a pub afterwards, Wellwood isn't far from the main street and is across the road from decent enough pubs (The masons etc). Storehouse is a bit further afield.

Wellwood is decent for a pint too but has been marketed slightly more up-market than most of Amble so is seen as "expensive" by the locals.

I don't drink real ale so can't recommend any real ale places and don't really do walking as a hobby but you're next door to Drurridge Bay and I'm sure you could find somewhere there to explore for an hour or two.

The walk up to Warkworth Castle is about twenty minutes like so it'll not be a testing stroll by any means.

Some canny bars down near the harbour village.
You know the lads I am going away with. I am fully prepared to blame you if any of it is shite.:lol:

Our weekends away are rarely without incident. We've managed to get lost in six foot snowdrifts, stopped in a house with no central heating when it was minus five outside, last year I crashed the car pulling into the street we were stopping in and, a personal favourite, coming home after a day on the beer to find six pensioners from Wolverhampton camped out in our house.:lol:
It's a long story but they were in the wrong house (obviously) and had called the police because my car was on the drive (minor overreaction). Imagine what my negotiating skills were like after eight pints.

You know the lads I am going away with. I am fully prepared to blame you if any of it is shite.:lol:

Our weekends away are rarely without incident. We've managed to get lost in six foot snowdrifts, stopped in a house with no central heating when it was minus five outside, last year I crashed the car pulling into the street we were stopping in and, a personal favourite, coming home after a day on the beer to find six pensioners from Wolverhampton camped out in our house.:lol:
It's a long story but they were in the wrong house (obviously) and had called the police because my car was on the drive (minor overreaction). Imagine what my negotiating skills were like after eight pints.
:lol:

Like I said mate, twenty minutes tops to Warkworth Castle. You won't need a jacket honestly. There's a path down near the river Coquet where the ducks sit. It looks like a riverbed but you can walk over it when drunk and you won't sink in the mud honestly. Let Monkeyman go first with my blessing ;)

love Amble, me.

food - zecca or the old storehouse or the wellwood. Zecca is near enough on the main street so ideal to stumble into a pub afterwards, Wellwood isn't far from the main street and is across the road from decent enough pubs (The masons etc). Storehouse is a bit further afield.

Wellwood is decent for a pint too but has been marketed slightly more up-market than most of Amble so is seen as "expensive" by the locals.

I don't drink real ale so can't recommend any real ale places and don't really do walking as a hobby but you're next door to Drurridge Bay and I'm sure you could find somewhere there to explore for an hour or two.
We have a kitty built up over the year from betting winnings that should cover most of the weekend so I'm sure we could stretch to a couple of more expensive pints.

We have a kitty built up over the year from betting winnings that should cover most of the weekend so I'm sure we could stretch to a couple of more expensive pints.

in that case, the Wellwood is pretty nice - for food and for drink.

chippy down at the Harbour is nice too if you want a chippy lunch after your night on the ale.

For food i can offer the following:

Storehouse - gone crap
Boathouse - probably not suited for a group of lads
Fish Shack - this is your best bet imo.

Last edited:
For food i can offer the following:

Storehouse - gone crap
Boathouse - probably not suited for a group of lads
Fish Shack - this is your best bet imo.

While since we went to the Storehouse , was going to go on Thursday so will give it a miss and go to the widdrington Inn instead

There's a newish Indian at the top of Queen Street too if you fancy a decent curry - we have a lot better in Sunderland imo but soaks up a few beers

While since we went to the Storehouse , was going to go on Thursday so will give it a miss and go to the widdrington Inn instead

There's a newish Indian at the top of Queen Street too if you fancy a decent curry - we have a lot better in Sunderland imo but soaks up a few beers

Aye storehouse was canny. Gone to shit this year unfortunately.

Pubs with real ale.

Low Newton on Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back