amazon echo products

I use it for all sorts, though it doesn't recognise my accent. If I set it to British English then our lass can't make it work. (She's Texan)

I tell her to fuck off more than I say thank you.

The time she starts accepting my pronunciation of “iPlayer” instead of me having to do an impression of f***ing Boycey* from Only Fools and Horses, is the day I thank the useless cow.

*not an exaggeration either, the useless piece of black plastic shit.
Say "Alexa learn my voice"

Why anyone would want the Amazon data gathering device in their house in the first place I don’t know
It's not capable of constantly streaming voice or doing voice to text itself, it can only recognise it's activation word then records a short snippet which is processed in the cloud.

Your mobile is a far more capable snoop device should anyone want one.

Last edited:
We have them in most rooms (mixture of Dots and full size Echos). Lights are on Hue bulbs so can voice control them or set them to come on and off automatically (I figured since bellowing at the kids to turn all the f***ing upstairs lights off wasn't working I might as well yell at Alexa to do it), and I have a routine set to play the radio for an alarm every morning instead of forgetting to set the alarm clock like I previously used to do.

The kids use it constantly to play that baby f***ing shark song though... although it's really helped the one of my kids who has speech problems bring her speech clarity on a treat so she could start asking it stuff (she does have proper speech therapy and all that though - we've not just outsourced it to a robot)

Why anyone would want the Amazon data gathering device in their house in the first place I don’t know.

Well considering Windows 10 tells you it’s going to snoop when you install it...
What you hiding like Dave?
It’s mad you you don’t want Amazon gathering your data but if they signed up to here they could read your life story anyway.

Ours is great, although I’ve only got a few lights on at the minute going to add sockets when I get round to it.
Sonoffs work great with them too, got one set up in the garage for the outside lights.

Yea in almost every room in the house. It controls everything - heating, lights, sockets, CCTV, TV, media centre. Its great when your on the sofa and can't be bothered to get up and get the remote.

"She" can be a little bitch sometime.

Saturday I said "Alexa play This must be the place by talking heads"
Alexa : "Playing Despocito by justin bieber"
Me : "ALEXA STOP"
Alexa : does nothing

how the fuck could it have got despocito from this must be the place?!!?!?:evil::evil:

What you hiding like Dave?
It’s mad you you don’t want Amazon gathering your data but if they signed up to here they could read your life story anyway.

Ours is great, although I’ve only got a few lights on at the minute going to add sockets when I get round to it.
Sonoffs work great with them too, got one set up in the garage for the outside lights.
They don’t know who I am on here though. It’s supposed to by anonymous. I’d like to think that the RTG servers are secure enough that people can’t find out your email address and thus link it to your account. Prospective employers, for example...

British Gas have offered me a half price Hive Thermostat fitted for £125 but I can't see that I would use it. I use the lights via Echo and that is useful sometimes but I can't see me using the thermostat any differently to how I do now.

When it is quiet i can whisper from the other side of the room and it will hear me
However when I have set a timer when cooking and the alarm goes off and I try to tell her to stop the alarm while standing next to it she gans deaf
Alexa Stop
ALEXA STOP
ALEXA STOP!!!!!
You need to program in your “safe” word

Back