Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans

Pancho

Laundry Manager
Staff member
Barney Ronay article in today's Guardian:

The Americans are coming. Or rather, they’re already here, and already launching the next step in a takeover by stealth that may only just be entering its imperial phase.

Another quote:

English football has always been a stage for speculators. From flighty club chairmen to Rupert Murdoch’s dish-led transformation, the league carries the sweaty fingerprints of a century’s worth of rain-makers and carpetbaggers.

Streaming is the future, this is just the first step towards that. Look at the way people consume media now to ten fifteen years back, it’s streaming. In ten years time we will be wondering why we all had dish on our houses and a box under the tv.

How many peoole illegally stream the matches anyway? There's a clear market for it that has existed for years and they know it.

Streaming is the way it'll go, but it's wrong that coverage is divvied up into packages and sold by multiple providers. They spout a load of bullshit about it being better for football fans to have more coverage than ever, but not if you've got to pay for three or four subscriptions to watch it all.

It'll bite the leagues in the arse in the end. UEFA have found Champions League TV viewing figures are down since BT took it on. If the viewing figures aren't there the ad revenue isn't as high, so broadcasters won't pay as much for it. La Liga had bother even finding a broadcaster in the UK at the start of the season, the first few games were on ITV 4 until they got sorted.

Agree that streaming is the way forward, to me the problem is the lack of competition in the market. Its OK the PL auctioning the games off to the highest bidder, the cost can always be recouped plus a hefty profit from the addicted public. What is needed is for the same TV rights to be awarded to several companies, and for them to compete with each other to provide the best deal with the consumer. Obviously this is never going to happen the FA have us by the short and curlies, the rich within the game will get richer, and the poorer will go to the wall. Within ten years we will have a European Super League, with national feeder leagues, and I certainly don't think anything under the championship will survive after that.

Streaming is the way it'll go, but it's wrong that coverage is divvied up into packages and sold by multiple providers. They spout a load of bullshit about it being better for football fans to have more coverage than ever, but not if you've got to pay for three or four subscriptions to watch it all.

It'll bite the leagues in the arse in the end. UEFA have found Champions League TV viewing figures are down since BT took it on. If the viewing figures aren't there the ad revenue isn't as high, so broadcasters won't pay as much for it. La Liga had bother even finding a broadcaster in the UK at the start of the season, the first few games were on ITV 4 until they got sorted.
Your second paragraph answers your first mate. Champs league viewing down because it’s locked up by one company in the uk at least, more it’s spread around the more ad revenues. It sucks like for us I’d prefer one sub for all but the way it will be for a while anyway.

Agree that streaming is the way forward, to me the problem is the lack of competition in the market. Its OK the PL auctioning the games off to the highest bidder, the cost can always be recouped plus a hefty profit from the addicted public. What is needed is for the same TV rights to be awarded to several companies, and for them to compete with each other to provide the best deal with the consumer. Obviously this is never going to happen the FA have us by the short and curlies, the rich within the game will get richer, and the poorer will go to the wall. Within ten years we will have a European Super League, with national feeder leagues, and I certainly don't think anything under the championship will survive after that.
Good post
Great point which I underlined.
10 or 12 years ago before Setanta, you one payment to sky and you got the lot. Champions league, Spanish football, premier league, league cup etc, and terrestrial tv had champions league and fa cup. Now to get the same stuff you need 4 or more subscriptions

Exactly. For me Amazon Prime pays for itself in delivery costs anyway.

The TV content and now Premier League content is just an added bonus.
Agree mate, I use amazon too much. It’s honestly something I toil with, Amazon are going to swallow all the competition in the end which will be bad for us all. But for now £8 for unlimited delivery, decent streaming selection of media and now sports it’s cracking.

Yep got that as well.
I like watching on sky. I like the reliability of it. Putting in the number and there it is.
However the tv companies have driven people towards iptv etc because of the pricing.
If you could get the full sky package including BT and Premier Sports for say £40 a month they would probably do much more business.
It’s nuts mate add in broadband my sky and other subs it must be close to £200 a month now. It’s getting too much.

If I’m being honest for the price of next day delivery, prime TV and premier league football for £7.99 a month or whatever the yearly free is then I hope Amazon get the rights off Sky forever. Can’t see it being anything but a hit over the xmas period because most people will have prime for their xmas shopping already.

Streaming is the future, this is just the first step towards that. Look at the way people consume media now to ten fifteen years back, it’s streaming. In ten years time we will be wondering why we all had dish on our houses and a box under the tv.

This will likely disappear in the short to mid-term. Sky are already looking at providing an IPTV box themselves.

This will likely disappear in the short to mid-term. Sky are already looking at providing an IPTV box themselves.

It’s nuts mate add in broadband my sky and other subs it must be close to £200 a month now. It’s getting too much.
Aye its ridiculous when you add it up.
Sky Q with multiroom with movies and sport, super fast fibre broadband and BT sport with HD will set you back around £170 a month. Add in premier sports if you want Spanish and Italian football, then netflix and prime and as you say it's not far off £200

Correct me if I am wrong but dosent it come with a bog standard Prime Fee of £7.99 a month, I pay that anyway so I reckon,if thats the case,its not bad.
This sort of deal is actually decent. I'd be happy if Amazon owned all the PL packages.

You pay for Prime which is actually a load of different things including the free shipping that most people will associate it with and then you get other services on top for a low monthly fee.

I just looked at BT and Sky, to get Sky Sports you need to pay 15+ a month, for BT it's 15+ again (bare minimum) and that is literally just for the ability to watch the sports channels. You don't get anything else included.

So 7.99 for all the benefits of Prime or double the amount at least for just the basic sports packages.

Saying that, I get all my football from an all you can eat streaming site anyway which is the best way to do it, but if Amazon had all of the PL then I'd maybe think of stopping the separate streaming site.

Back