Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans

Aye its ridiculous when you add it up.
Sky Q with multiroom with movies and sport, super fast fibre broadband and BT sport with HD will set you back around £170 a month. Add in premier sports if you want Spanish and Italian football, then netflix and prime and as you say it's not far off £200

Throw in Disney Plus, Apple TV etc. and you're looking at more. There are about 12 subscription options in the US, I believe.

The premier League should sell the games direct to the fans either on a pay per view for every team or with a monthly subscription, why are they letting middlemen get involved is what I don't understand.
This is what they do in the NFL. £140 for everything.

Exactly this.
Even as an aside, they will have the rights to the most valuable TV commodity on the planet and people think they will just have it as "here is something extra for you" They already charge you for popular TV shows and Fairly recent movies.. There is no way they are going to give a cash cow away for free.. When they also just had to pay a small countries GDP to have it in the first place.

That's bad for the consumer, as it inevitably means them having to fund multiple subscriptions.
thats not what I meant, what I am trying to say is that the packages that are sold off should be sold off to say three different companies. The companies should then offer the complete package to consumers, bringing competition into the equation.

thats not what I meant, what I am trying to say is that the packages that are sold off should be sold off to say three different companies. The companies should then offer the complete package to consumers, bringing competition into the equation.

I think that's unlikely to happen. Powerful businesses strive for as near a monopolisitic state as possible, hence they will always pay top dollar for 'exclusive rights'.

If the same package was split 3 ways I suspect the total income to the Premier League would not exceed that achieved by their current highest bidder approach.

Contrary to most big businesses' PR bollocks, they detest competition because it generates costs and limits revenues.

In this scenario I could envisage cartel like behaviour in either the bidding process and/or the ultimate pricing to the punter.
It would be the opposite. We have to pay for multiple subscriptions and don't even get all the games as it is, but if Sky, BT and Amazon all showed the same games we could choose who we wanted to subscribe to.
See above

Last edited:
It would be the opposite. We have to pay for multiple subscriptions and don't even get all the games as it is, but if Sky, BT and Amazon all showed the same games we could choose who we wanted to subscribe to.
Currently the Premier league says we have 100% of games to sell and the total value is 8 Billion over a 3 year period. They split them games into packs and auction off the packs, companies bid for the packages, so lets say Sky pay 4 Billion for 50% of the games and Amazon pay 2.5 Billion for 28% of the remaining games then BT pay 1.5 Billion for the last 22%. That total is the 8 Billion. The Premier league gets it's 8 Billion and they are happy. The consumer now has to either decide which pack to pay the subscription to, or pay for all three, or a combination of two. That's as it currently stands (or near enough).

Now those three companies could get together and decide together that no matter what they are going to share 100% of the games with each other, and they will all pay the same, so each company now has 100% of the games at a cost of 2.6 Billion. Sky TV is now happy as they now have an extra 50% of the games and are paying less than they were before, Amazon and BT are happy as they are paying slightly more but getting substantially more for their money. They now have to compete with each other, so lower their prices, thus making the consumer happy. You would think that the Premier league is happy as they have the 8 Billion they wanted.

Unfortunately they cannot do this under the current laws, I think it falls under Monopoly laws. The packages are split up to allow all to bid, making smaller pieces of the pie allows smaller companies a chance to bid. Also I don't believe the Premier league would be allowed to let the 3 companies distribute the licensed games however they want to other companies. (they currently sell the rights to foreign markets, making some of their money back that way [in fact make a profit]) but these 3 companies have the games under licence from the Premier league and must follow the strict rules put in place. They can if they wish charge £100 per game or give the games away for free on their own stations. what they cannot do is allow another company to show their games in the same country.

This is how i believe it is, however there is some very intelligent people on here and I am prepared to corrected.. Either way we wont as consumers get a good deal, unless money is something you don't need to worry about.

Why when people are happy to pay 60 a month?
Because a lot more here and round the world would take out a £10 per month fee. SJ just gave an example that 100 million people paying £10 per month is worth a heck of a lot more than they currently generate from TV deals. They'd get that easily round the world. Better deal for fans and clubs.
1: I didn't write the article and I may or may not agree with Ronay's premise. I simply linked to it to generate discussion.

2: In common I suspect with many thousands of football fans I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime so match streaming would cost an extra £8 a month.

Apart from the above caveats your post is cock on.
Take out an Amazon Prime trial for a month mate - still free :cool:

Last edited:
Whoever ends up with the streaming rights, I hope they go to a pay as you watch setup.

Whatever the prices end up being, i'd like the choice of paying 5/10/20 quid to watch a game over paying £200+ minimum for the broadcasters choice of games over a season.

Currently the Premier league says we have 100% of games to sell and the total value is 8 Billion over a 3 year period. They split them games into packs and auction off the packs, companies bid for the packages, so lets say Sky pay 4 Billion for 50% of the games and Amazon pay 2.5 Billion for 28% of the remaining games then BT pay 1.5 Billion for the last 22%. That total is the 8 Billion. The Premier league gets it's 8 Billion and they are happy. The consumer now has to either decide which pack to pay the subscription to, or pay for all three, or a combination of two. That's as it currently stands (or near enough).

Now those three companies could get together and decide together that no matter what they are going to share 100% of the games with each other, and they will all pay the same, so each company now has 100% of the games at a cost of 2.6 Billion. Sky TV is now happy as they now have an extra 50% of the games and are paying less than they were before, Amazon and BT are happy as they are paying slightly more but getting substantially more for their money. They now have to compete with each other, so lower their prices, thus making the consumer happy. You would think that the Premier league is happy as they have the 8 Billion they wanted.

Unfortunately they cannot do this under the current laws, I think it falls under Monopoly laws. The packages are split up to allow all to bid, making smaller pieces of the pie allows smaller companies a chance to bid. Also I don't believe the Premier league would be allowed to let the 3 companies distribute the licensed games however they want to other companies. (they currently sell the rights to foreign markets, making some of their money back that way [in fact make a profit]) but these 3 companies have the games under licence from the Premier league and must follow the strict rules put in place. They can if they wish charge £100 per game or give the games away for free on their own stations. what they cannot do is allow another company to show their games in the same country.

This is how i believe it is, however there is some very intelligent people on here and I am prepared to corrected.. Either way we wont as consumers get a good deal, unless money is something you don't need to worry about.

Quite apart from the obvious cartel possibilities (which, although illegal, still exist by a series of nods and winks, but no meetings or documentation), the big problem would be the media companies hating that kind of competition. You'd also end up in a situation where the same matches were shown on all three channels, which the clubs would hate, as it would cut down on the appearance money, or different matches with the same kick off times, which the viewers would probably hate.The cheapest deal for consumers is likely to be where the award is to one company, with consumer protection by some form of contractual price control.

I've had the Amazon subscription for 2 years now and it's well worth the £79 annual for the deliveries and TV package alone. The coming football is a bonus (for now). No doubt in time it will change but it's all part of accepting that eventually everything will be streamed.

Premier league needs to be its own broadcaster as Simon Jordan said mid week. Set up a netflix type platform, nominal fee per month, every game live and on demand, available worldwide. Better for fans and more more for the league.

Touché

That is until I forget to cancel as I usually do.
I believe you can set up an auto cancel or an "ask me if i want to subscribe" as they had thousands of refunds to give, which they gave no questions asked to be fair, it's fishing, some you win some you lose. However I think I read that due to the huge amount of payments being automatically taken out of peoples accounts they were forced to have a fail safe of some kind.
Quite apart from the obvious cartel possibilities (which, although illegal, still exist by a series of nods and winks, but no meetings or documentation), the big problem would be the media companies hating that kind of competition. You'd also end up in a situation where the same matches were shown on all three channels, which the clubs would hate, as it would cut down on the appearance money, or different matches with the same kick off times, which the viewers would probably hate.The cheapest deal for consumers is likely to be where the award is to one company, with consumer protection by some form of contractual price control.

That was my line of thinking also, either way as consumers we won't get bang for our bucks unless as suggested our clubs get licence to stream and sell their own games and we can pay a subscription to them (won't ever happen) or the Premier league create their own TV station and charge a subscription to that direct, as you say, cut out the middleman... but as you rightly suggested, wink, wink, secret masons handshake and bobs your Aunty, the games are back up for auction.
As an addition to this, it's quite worrying now that the oversees income won't be distributed evenly across the Premier league, so first gets the same money as the last. But now all oversees TV income will be position based.. It's going to widen the gap, it's estimated that finishing consistantly in the top 6 over a period of 3 years could net you an additional 80 Million compared to those that finish around the bottom for the same time period.

(you probs don't want to click that link so here is the article)

"
Newcastle's midweek trip to Sheffield United on Thursday is part of a new era of on-demand Premier League games with 10 matches available to watch on Amazon as the retail giant ventures into the world of football broadcasting.
The Magpies' clash at Bramall Lane - and the Boxing Day clash against Manchester United at Old Trafford - are two fixtures of a 20-match deal which Amazon paid a reported £90million for.

They will become the first broadcaster to offer a pure streaming service for the Premier League with the deal running until 2021/22.
Other competitors have tried and failed to challenge Sky's near three-decade stranglehold on broadcasting the Premier League.
Among them are Setanta, and ESPN along with BT Sport - which continues to fight the good fight, with rights to 52 matches this season.
This is small change compared to Sky's 128 matches per season, which itself is a jump on the previous three-year deal.

However, despite there now being three broadcasters offering Premier League football in the UK, the value of domestic rights has actually dropped from the previous three-year cycle ending in 2018/19.
The £5.4billion on offer from domestic broadcasters across 2016/17 to 2018/19 is said to have slipped to around £5billion for the next three seasons.

Any worries from Premier League clubs were quickly allayed, however, from a surge in the value of overseas broadcasting.
According to various sources, the price paid by broadcasters outside of the UK for Premier League packages has risen from to a reported £4.4billion, driven by strong demand and aggressive bidding across Europe.
So, why should this be of particular interest to Premier League fans?
Well, per The Telegraph, Premier League clubs successfully pushed through a new payment system for International TV payments so that they are now divided on a merit basis.
Previously, all overseas broadcasting cash landed in the pockets of Premier League clubs equally, whether they won the league or finished flat bottom.

The £43.1million banked by league leaders Liverpool from ex-UK broadcasting last season was the same given to Huddersfield Town in 20th place, and so on.
The only way teams in the Premier League could earn more was from finishing higher up in the league or by domestic broadcasters featuring them in TV games.
This is now a thing of the past, with teams at the top of the table set to receive a greater share of the cash from overseas broadcasting.
According to The Telegraph, this means over the three-year broadcasting deal, sides finishing consistently in the top six can expect to bank an additional £80million - a huge boost.

A top-six finish may feel a long way off for Newcastle United right now, but it's further incentive to finish as high up the league table as possible.
Steve Bruce's side currently sit in 14th place, just four points behind fifth-placed Tottenham, and positive results in the run-up to Christmas could give league table a very different look heading into 2020.
Avoiding relegation remains the Magpies' main priority, but with the knowledge that their Premier League rivals could get even more income based on their league position, the incentive to grind out each and every point is there for all to see."

Last edited:

Back