Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans

Barney Ronay article in today's Guardian:

The Americans are coming. Or rather, they’re already here, and already launching the next step in a takeover by stealth that may only just be entering its imperial phase.

Another quote:

English football has always been a stage for speculators. From flighty club chairmen to Rupert Murdoch’s dish-led transformation, the league carries the sweaty fingerprints of a century’s worth of rain-makers and carpetbaggers.

Rupert Murdoch is a septic tank. That cancer has been here for over 30 years

Yep got that as well.
I like watching on sky. I like the reliability of it. Putting in the number and there it is.
However the tv companies have driven people towards iptv etc because of the pricing.
If you could get the full sky package including BT and Premier Sports for say £40 a month they would probably do much more business.
agree there mate

If I could just pay 5 quid or something per match I actually want to watch I'd do that

Meant about showing the football

Most fans can't be arsed on paying for another lot that's why eleven sports went bust

Eleven were relying on attracting subscribers after shelling out on rights packages.
Amazon are already absolutely huge and what they've paid for their PL games for the the next 3 years is a drop in the ocean to them. The entire PL tv package domestically and internationally is worth £8bn over 3 years.
Amazon could buy the whole lot and not bat an eyelid.
They even know there will be loads of people signing up for a free trial with the intention of cancelling once they've watched the games, and they're not even arsed.

Dinosaur mentality type article, streaming is the future in a variety different ways (gaming, movies, tv) etc.

The younger generation has been brought up on youtube, netflix and this will what every single TV outlet will start to do moving forward. Look at Dazn in the US they stream all sports and then will be getting an NFL contract next year again rising their subscriber base.

If anyone thinks that amazon will go pear shaped they're deluded, they already have a subscriber base of 110 million ffs.

Last edited:
Proper hefty price tag that OP :lol:

1: I didn't write the article and I may or may not agree with Ronay's premise. I simply linked to it to generate discussion.

2: In common I suspect with many thousands of football fans I don't subscribe to Amazon Prime so match streaming would cost an extra £8 a month.

Apart from the above caveats your post is cock on.

Your second paragraph answers your first mate. Champs league viewing down because it’s locked up by one company in the uk at least, more it’s spread around the more ad revenues. It sucks like for us I’d prefer one sub for all but the way it will be for a while anyway.
Don't agree the sole factor is down to being tied into one broadcaster. More down to being tied into a broadcaster less people want to pay the extra for. Viewing figures would be much higher if it was only shown on Sky because their subscriber base is already larger. The same would probably apply to Amazon Prime. If you've already got it, great. If it's at an additional cost, is it worth the money? The cost of subscription services add up and the failures of ITV Digital and Setanta in the UK show it's a fine line.

It's a model on the way out anyway, but until then the likes of the PL and UEFA will have to make decisions on whether they want to maximise revenue from broadcasting rights sales, or maximise exposure for their brand and make more through ad and sponsorship revenue.

Agree that streaming is the way forward, to me the problem is the lack of competition in the market. Its OK the PL auctioning the games off to the highest bidder, the cost can always be recouped plus a hefty profit from the addicted public. What is needed is for the same TV rights to be awarded to several companies, and for them to compete with each other to provide the best deal with the consumer. Obviously this is never going to happen the FA have us by the short and curlies, the rich within the game will get richer, and the poorer will go to the wall. Within ten years we will have a European Super League, with national feeder leagues, and I certainly don't think anything under the championship will survive after that.

That's bad for the consumer, as it inevitably means them having to fund multiple subscriptions.

If I’m being honest for the price of next day delivery, prime TV and premier league football for £7.99 a month or whatever the yearly free is then I hope Amazon get the rights off Sky forever. Can’t see it being anything but a hit over the xmas period because most people will have prime for their xmas shopping already.
Careful what you wish for, Amazon TV is good, but you still have to pay for some things on there as one off payments... I have prime only because I use the delivery so like most it pays for itself.. Netflix is a Million times better, everything on Netflix is bought and payed for.

If and when Amazon get the rights to football, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will have an additional subscription for it.. It would cost them Billions for the rights and that's only for a couple of years. They couldn't give you it for free (well not free, but not at the current £7.99 per month). If they are going to charge you £1.99 for an episode of the walking dead for example, they will charge the earth for a subscription to the Premier League.

Careful what you wish for, Amazon TV is good, but you still have to pay for some things on there as one off payments... I have prime only because I use the delivery so like most it pays for itself.. Netflix is a Million times better, everything on Netflix is bought and payed for.

If and when Amazon get the rights to football, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will have an additional subscription for it.. It would cost them Billions for the rights and that's only for a couple of years. They couldn't give you it for free (well not free, but not at the current £7.99 per month). If they are going to charge you £1.99 for an episode of the walking dead for example, they will charge the earth for a subscription to the Premier League.
Exactly this.

Back