Alternatives To Lightroom For Gig Photography

mickb2112

Striker
I`m getting a bit sick of shelling out nearly a tenner a month to use Lightroom to work on photos that I take at gigs. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative that does a decent job for the lowlight photography at gigs where you can buy it outright and don`t need a monthly subscription?

I`ve heard that mentioned before. It looks like it`s 20 quid a month or £448 to buy outright which seems very steep. I was also looking at Luminar as well. Anyone ever used that?

Affinity Photo is my goto editor these days, not sure how good or bad it is at processing low light stuff though.

You can download a free trial to test it out.

I've always found the raw converter that came with your camera i.e. DPP for Canon etc, to be as good as anything for working with low light raw files and it's free. After that you can use a low cost pixel editor like Affinity or Elements for the rest.

I've always found the raw converter that came with your camera i.e. DPP for Canon etc, to be as good as anything for working with low light raw files and it's free. After that you can use a low cost pixel editor like Affinity or Elements for the rest.

I've not used DPP for a lot of years so it may be far better now, but I used to use PhotoNinja and it was streets ahead of DPP at the time

I've not used DPP for a lot of years so it may be far better now, but I used to use PhotoNinja and it was streets ahead of DPP at the time

Really, my experience was the opposite, found that PhotoNinja/NoiseNinja smeared the details a little more than DPP. That was about 8 years ago, I use Sony now who supply Capture One (download) with the camera, and it's very good, though it hasn't got a lot to do as the Sony sensors are great for low light. Have used SilkyPix (Panasonic) and the Nikon one (can't remember) and found them to be at least the equal of Lightroom/ACR.

I've not looked at that for ages. Has it got RAW processing built into it now or does it still need plugins? I suspect @mickb2112 is looking for something that handles RAW files well so he can push the low light stuff.

I've no idea, I don't use it but I know a few people who do.

*edit: looks like it can be done

https://daviesmediadesign.com/open-raw-images-in-gonk/

I've not looked at that for ages. Has it got RAW processing built into it now or does it still need plugins? I suspect @mickb2112 is looking for something that handles RAW files well so he can push the low light stuff.
That`s absolutely right. I use Lightroom at the moment and it does a good job so I`m looking for something similar but not on a monthly subscription.

Back