Alston

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like it tbh.
Been trying to buy a house somewhere between there and Stanhope for the last couple of years now.
A couple of years is a long time to be trying to buy a house, what's the problem?

I like Alston too. We stay at Garrigil fairly regularly, which is beautiful. There's a hill up there - Burnhope Seat, above the ski lift - that you can see all three of the Tyne, Wear and Tees valleys.

A couple of years is a long time to be trying to buy a house, what's the problem?

I like Alston too. We stay at Garrigil fairly regularly, which is beautiful. There's a hill up there - Burnhope Seat, above the ski lift - that you can see all three of the Tyne, Wear and Tees valleys.

It's a case of trying to find the right one. It'll hopefully be my final move so it needs to be just right so I'm there for the rest of my days.
Something that's a project that needs renovating is the goal. Missed out on a belter at Cowshill last year because of our lass divering :evil:

The one redeeming feature Alston has is that 4 of the 5 roads going into/out of it are brilliant drives. The A689 going East away from it is the only boring road there. Other than that it has a petrol station if needed

There's virtually no houses between Alston and Stanhope ;)

Used to work for an organisation that had Barhaugh Hall just outside the town sostayed there on plenty residentials. Good spot for outside development stuff but when we were there a week and took the group into town on a Wednesday night they were generally disappointed with what was on offer, especially in the winter:lol:

Alston twinned with Royston Vasey
Definitely this. We stopped there once for Sunday dinner. Got back in the car and it wouldn't start so had to use my breakdown cover. We ended up sitting in the bar of this hotel and obviously got talking to the bar staff. Told them what had happened and where we were from etc, The mechanic came out and couldn't fix it so had to arrange to be towed home. I kept popping outside to see if the wagon had turned up (barely had any phone signal) and our lass was smoking at the time so was also going in and out. A couple were walking past and actually asked if we were that couple from Sunderland who had broken down. The news had spread ffs! Also, more than one passing car seemed to go particularly slow past us and give us a good stare. Sunday evening and the most exciting thing going on was a couple from Sunderland who had broken down. It was weird as fuck. We reckon we were probably front page news the day after in their local paper.

It's a different world really, and definitely not SR6 with sheep. Great to visit - we go to Weardale often - but I suspect if you weren't born there you'd always be something of an outsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back