ALS ALS Exclusive: Takeover No Go

No, it's more about abuse of existing players.

Meaning that new players won't join?

If they're not confident in they're ability and are scared of failing/getting stick then they're not players that are ever going to do anything in the game imo.

We really do have some precious fans mind. The vast majority must know that his comments aren't aimed at them. He's literally listed a whole load of examples of things he thinks it's perfectly fair to be unhappy/ worried/ complain about, everything from kids leaving the academy (which they can't really prevent) through to whether we think their way of working would have a chance in the championship and being pissed off at only coming fifth. If any of that kind of thing is worrying you or pissing you off, he's explicitly stated that his comments aren't referring to you.

The only example he gave of something he considers unhelpful is fans getting in touch with a paper asking them to try and dig dirt on the owners. I would imagine you can also throw into the mix people who invent conspiracy theories then peddle them on places like this. He says so called fans because people like this aren't supporting at all whilst doing this, they might go to matches, they might not, but if they want what's best for the club they have to realise that shit like that be harmful. By all means question things, they even brought GOM in to discuss finances etc, so they're being as open and honest as owners of a business can be (but even then they have people effectively suggesting that GOM is in their pockets and the likes).

If we don't do good business in this transfer window and we start poorly it sounds like he fully expects and understands criticism. I imagine he'd be fine with people criticising the decision to keep Ross should that happen. Be as miserable and unhappy with our situation as you want (with good reason tbh), all he's saying is not to go around spreading disinformation, making libelous statements (like we've seen on here recently) and trying to get the gutter press to target them so that they have to waste time dealing with that instead of getting on with the job. I think it's fair enough
My problem is with him not being able to take the slightest bit criticism and getting all arsey on podcast. He comes out with shite like 'under my skin' and generic slagging off of mags to curry favour.

The club isn't under his or SD skin. We are a means to an end, they are here to make money. That's fine but just be honest about it and don't think we are all idiots and will just lap up his soundbites

We really do have some precious fans mind. The vast majority must know that his comments aren't aimed at them. He's literally listed a whole load of examples of things he thinks it's perfectly fair to be unhappy/ worried/ complain about, everything from kids leaving the academy (which they can't really prevent) through to whether we think their way of working would have a chance in the championship and being pissed off at only coming fifth. If any of that kind of thing is worrying you or pissing you off, he's explicitly stated that his comments aren't referring to you.

The only example he gave of something he considers unhelpful is fans getting in touch with a paper asking them to try and dig dirt on the owners. I would imagine you can also throw into the mix people who invent conspiracy theories then peddle them on places like this. He says so called fans because people like this aren't supporting at all whilst doing this, they might go to matches, they might not, but if they want what's best for the club they have to realise that shit like that be harmful. By all means question things, they even brought GOM in to discuss finances etc, so they're being as open and honest as owners of a business can be (but even then they have people effectively suggesting that GOM is in their pockets and the likes).

If we don't do good business in this transfer window and we start poorly it sounds like he fully expects and understands criticism. I imagine he'd be fine with people criticising the decision to keep Ross should that happen. Be as miserable and unhappy with our situation as you want (with good reason tbh), all he's saying is not to go around spreading disinformation, making libelous statements (like we've seen on here recently) and trying to get the gutter press to target them so that they have to waste time dealing with that instead of getting on with the job. I think it's fair enough

Write something like.......

Me too. But then if Jack Ross is admitting we need to sell to buy, isn’t he?

Which is Fookin naive when ya trying to get players out of the door.....

Last edited:
FWIW, my view on Charlie’s comments:

The parasite comment: it was a stupid thing to say, but it wasn’t much worse than what Quinny said years ago. The reality is; it must be frustrating for our owners (past and present) when they know we have huge potential, but an element won’t put cash into the club.

The digs, by both Quinny and Charlie, were never been aimed at those that cannot afford to go; or those that live away. It’s always been at those that could go to the match, but choose not to put a penny/very little into the club. We have a fantastic hardcore support, but if we are as big of a club as we like to claim, there is no reason why 23,000 SCs shouldn’t be 30,000 (especially at the prices on offer).

It also has to be said, we have an element that are desperate to be outraged to justify their own agenda. Calling them parasites, however, or saying “I despise them”, only gives these clowns more ammunition.

The Metro Radio thing: Charlie was interviewed minutes after our season ended in a hugely disappointing way. He was obviously frustrated and he said a couple of daft things.

I know a few people were massively offended by his slight dig at the fans, but an element of fan base probably should be called out. The sad reality is, thousands of fans went missing for our biggest home game of the year. Of course, some had genuine reasons, including some good posters on here, but the fair weather brigade again just walked away as they were positive Sunderland would lose. Both Drumaville and Short struggled to understand this element as well.

The comments yesterday: Plenty of our hardcore support, have issues/concerns with what is happening with the club at present - me included!

Sadly though, some of the shit the new owners have had to tolerate goes well beyond just voicing concerns. The allegations, all without foundation, are just bollocks.

I know people will think I am a massive fan of the new owners, but being honest I still have doubts. I will, however, give them every chance to succeed. My patience though, with some of our fan base has snapped.

As is the bloke slagging the fans off after meeting every challenge hes laid to them.
Far too simplistic a view. And incorrect. He is not slagging fans off; he is having a go at those who spout untruths on media platforms, which then undo some of the bridge building the owners have done over one years because it causes uncertainty. He accepts criticism for the league finish and concerns about young players leaving. However, fuck context and focus on one sentence and get precious about it.

I suspect they think that that will immediately result in us being bought by another billionaire with more money than sense. 99% of it boils down to throwing of toys because the owners aren't chucking vast piles of wonga.

There are times when you need to stand back and think, 'it is never going to sink in.' Hope you are doing well, me marra.

Last edited:

Back