Allotments in the City

Morphious

Full Back
Anyone one here got their name down for an allotment?

Put my name down for one and having a look at the list have no idea where half of them are!!!

Probably be dead before one becomes available given the numbers on the waiting lists.

When did they become popular again? I remember the ones up tunna hill used be overgrown and neglected back in the late 80's/early 90's. Do they council check that you are maintaining and using them now?

Put my name down for one and having a look at the list have no idea where half of them are!!!

Probably be dead before one becomes available given the numbers on the waiting lists.
Where abouts in Sunderland?

When did they become popular again? I remember the ones up tunna hill used be overgrown and neglected back in the late 80's/early 90's. Do they council check that you are maintaining and using them now?
When I got mine over 10 years ago there was plenty available but there's usually a waiting list now.

Just be patient.
Get your name on the list, and put down your preferred area for one.
But you might be offered one a few mile away, so be prepared for that.
Where do you want one by the way?

Think they have always been popular. Just not a lot of info in the public domain by the looks of it

Where abouts in Sunderland?

When I got mine over 10 years ago there was plenty available but there's usually a waiting list now.
Anywhere in Sunderland. It' just daft that you either don't know where the plots are or how many people have their name down for that plot

Just be patient.
Get your name on the list, and put down your preferred area for one.
But you might be offered one a few mile away, so be prepared for that.
Where do you want one by the way?
I have my name down. It' different now. You choose two and then check where you are on the list. Each site has its own waiting list. I'm 106 on one and 136 on the other haha

Last edited:
Think they have always been popular. Just not a lot of info in the public domain by the looks of it
Well there must not have been anyone checking up on them back in the day. The ones I was on about were mostly neglected. You would think someone would check they're being made use of and boot tenants off if not.

I'd love one at some point but not now.

Mate of mine got an allotment down Ryhope last year. He bought it from the previous owner. It's huge, probably 100m length and 20m wide. Canny slope mind, but that's perfect for gardening so I'm told.

No doubt this'll piss off all the people who've been on a waiting list for years. :lol:

Anywhere in Sunderland. It' just daft that you either don't know where the plots are or how many people have their name down for that plot

I have my name down. It' different now. You choose two and then check where you are on the list. Each site has its own waiting list. I'm 106 on one and 136 on the other haha
There are four allotment sites in silksworth alone

Give the council a ring, we put our name down on Tunstall Hill and got one almost immediately, they had a choice of plots as they can't give them away due to the condition. We dropped it after a few days as we decided we couldn't commit to it. Sticking to a few potted veggies in the garden.

Give the council a ring, we put our name down on Tunstall Hill and got one almost immediately, they had a choice of plots as they can't give them away due to the condition. We dropped it after a few days as we decided we couldn't commit to it. Sticking to a few potted veggies in the garden.
Ran by association now I think. How long ago was it you got yours?

Mate of mine got an allotment down Ryhope last year. He bought it from the previous owner. It's huge, probably 100m length and 20m wide. Canny slope mind, but that's perfect for gardening so I'm told.

No doubt this'll piss off all the people who've been on a waiting list for years. :lol:
Our lasses Dad done the same last year. Decided he didn’t have time for it so sold it to his mate down the local. Almost ended up a bidding war cos he was leaving the greenhouse on it. I didn’t think it’d be allowed. I thought the council would give it straight to someone on the waiting list.

Back