Alien: Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole 'David inventing the xenomorph' storyline was utter shite in my opinion. It also doesn't really follow on naturally to the first Alien film. In the first film the space jockey (an engineer) has been killed by a xenomorph (which presumably burst out of it's chest), if that's the case then where did that xeno come from?

I'm pretty convinced that the beings David killed weren't engineers, they didn't look quite the same and they were basically living in mud huts with one landing zone. I think they were another seeded species.

plausible..... they way they were greeting the arriving ship was like worshipping a god or something.

The whole 'David inventing the xenomorph' storyline was utter shite in my opinion. It also doesn't really follow on naturally to the first Alien film. In the first film the space jockey (an engineer) has been killed by a xenomorph (which presumably burst out of it's chest), if that's the case then where did that xeno come from?

I'm pretty convinced that the beings David killed weren't engineers, they didn't look quite the same and they were basically living in mud huts with one landing zone. I think they were another seeded species.
Based on the fact the original crashed ship in Alien crashed thousands of years earlier David can't have created the original Xenomorphs.... unless he is Scott tearing up the timeline.
The murial showing the Xenomorhps, face huggers etc. in Prometheus also suggests they had been developed before. I think David is just meant to have effectively copied the methodology/work of the Engineers (or whoever they were) and ended up at a similar place... although it wasn't exactly the same Xeno as the originals
Still many questions, but two more films for them to either answer those questions or make it more confusing.

plausible..... they way they were greeting the arriving ship was like worshipping a god or something.

Looked to me like society had regressed. Technology being a remnant of their former glory. The docking claw being an example of this. Millions of years had passed since they seeded earth.

Looked to me like society had regressed. Technology being a remnant of their former glory. The docking claw being an example of this. Millions of years had passed since they seeded earth.
But humans have only been around for a few thousand years, Prometheus was set only a little bit into the future, and Covenant can't have been much after that.

But humans have only been around for a few thousand years, Prometheus was set only a little bit into the future, and Covenant can't have been much after that.

Id recon at least 300,00 years for tool use. Plus the DNA trail from hominina would put it back several times that to the start. It's the corn thing that fucks everything up.

Just watched this last night I was disappointed. It answered some of Prometheus questions but was this really a necessary film or a moneymaker?

So Davids evil. Already knew that
That planet had xenomorphs. Already knew that.
Dr shaw was there. Already knew that

Only new information was David creating xenpmorph which I think was a really lazy uninteresting plot. Also David killing the creators if they were creators. I just don't think the film added value to the legacy of what the prequels were meant to solve.

Still does my head in that evety single engineer wiped out with one attack

Apparently not all of them are dead. The rumour for the next installment us that one of the Engineer ships returns to the home planet to find it destroyed then sets off to get revenge on David presumably.

For all those saying david created the xenomorphs he didnt

The official book based on the film script (I.e when they started shooting the film) has a scene where david is studying a fossilised alien egg created by the engineers...david is then re-creating the xenomorphs from their blueprint.

Also a scene where the surviving neomorph squared off with the xenomorph before they board the ship at the end.

Both of these scenes should have been left in the film...such a disappointment from what it could have been

The official book based on the film script (I.e when they started shooting the film) has a scene where david is studying a fossilised alien egg created by the engineers...david is then re-creating the xenomorphs from their blueprint.

Also a scene where the surviving neomorph squared off with the xenomorph before they board the ship at the end.

Both of these scenes should have been left in the film...such a disappointment from what it could have been

There'll be in the Dvd directors cut no doubt

Enjoyed Alien Covenant. My favourite one since the first Alien film.

I know people love Aliens, and think it's great, but I personally can't stand it, as I hate 'base under siege'/monster stuff and can't think of anything worse than sitting through the predictability of people being killed by the alien for two and a half hours, building up to the Ripley/alien fight. It's basically murder p0rn.

Alien Covenant has a decent concept and actually built some degree of tension better than any since the aforementioned original.

I get what you're saying. He was effectively 'genetically modifying' them or breeding variations in the way people breed dogs. However, watching it from the very first scene which is David with his own creator and the whole concept of David being terrifying precisely because of his own ability to 'create,' would make absolutely no sense if the film didn't essentially allude to him being the creator of the xenomorph. As you indicate correctly, the film in reality still effectively shows the xenomorph as a genetically modified neomorph, whilst alluding to the fact that he's created them outright in a similar fashion that he himself was created, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying. He was effectively 'genetically modifying' them or breeding variations in the way people breed dogs. However, watching it from the very first scene which is David with his own creator and the whole concept of David being terrifying precisely because of his own ability to 'create,' would make absolutely no sense if the film didn't essentially allude to him being the creator of the xenomorph. As you indicate correctly, the film in reality still effectively shows the xenomorph as a genetically modified neomorph, whilst alluding to the fact that he's created them outright in a similar fashion that he himself was created, but that's neither here nor there.

Totally agree with point, technically David hasnt created the Xenomorph, totally correct. However I dont see what value this plotline has given the franchise, unless the next 2 are going to be absolute stinkers following a boring storyline.

Also why have the creators done these murials? I hope to god they havent created them for sport aka Predator. I just feel after 2 hours the storyline hasnt really advanced and its was just tired cliches that have been in past films.

The neomorph v xeno might be, but i believe i read that they may not have filmed the David working from a fossilised egg...
both scenes would have improved the film
It would have made it a completely different film with a different context. I'm not sure if that would've been better, as I've said, (Prometheus and) Alien Covenant is about our own dubious relationship with God, creation, creationism and creating robots and new technologies more than just the usual high concept two and a half hours of a monster killing everyone in the build up to a predictable face off with the main character at the end.

Totally agree with point, technically David hasnt created the Xenomorph, totally correct. However I dont see what value this plotline has given the franchise, unless the next 2 are going to be absolute stinkers following a boring storyline.

Also why have the creators done these murials? I hope to god they havent created them for sport aka Predator. I just feel after 2 hours the storyline hasnt really advanced and its was just tired cliches that have been in past films.
As my post above, Prometheus and Alien Covenant are 'trying' to allude to something a little bit cleverer than the usual monster romp. How effectively they have done that is still up for debate.

Last edited:
I recon Ridley Scott sees the original alien as his baby. I'm pretty sure that he was ticked off with the different variations ruining the franchise (probably also how some people see the second film as the best one). I think the scenes linking Alien to davinci and michelangelo is telling. He sees it as his masterpiece.

When Blomkamp announced he wanted to do Alien Five, pretty much rebooting the franchise from the second film onwards (and given the level of interest it generated), I think he realised there was still life in it, so rushed out prometheus to get there first. Maybe its a rights thing, I don't know.

Prometheus, whilst not bad, was a mess from a franchise perspective. Ironically suffering some of the same difficulties as Alien 3 with too many rewrites and too much interference. You can see this from the bits basically lifted directly out of unused parts from the Alien script (see concept art, editors cut and original scripts). By the time it was released it was a hybrid script- and there is no way in hell they knew where it was going.

Covenant smacked of too much hurried retconning. You can almost smell the late nights the writers had trying to put the jigsaw pieces from Alien and Prometheus together. It's just not fluid storytelling no matter which way you look at it.

Last edited:

But he did create the universes first waving xenomorph :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back