Alerts - Since yesterday's upgrade

PTR

Striker
Anyone else having this issue - Alert counter doesn't clear when I click and show the alerts - ONLY if I actually click each of the individual alerts does the number go down.

Clicking the popup box does make them turn read (i.e. no longer in bold), but the counter remains.

Opera browser (Chromium-based)
Windows 10

Thanks. I didn't look at that thread as I dont use Dark mode - but yep, same issue, and yes, the "mark read" button works.

Yes, you reported this in the correct place đź‘Ť and I wouldn't have expected you to look at that thread - I just linked back to it as I had already replied there.

I should probably have created a placeholder thread in the Help Forum for any issues following the upgrade as it was a large upgrade and was never going to be without problems that weren't picked up on the test system.

I've lost my input box from this old samsung phone I use at work.
Sorry as i know this is thread about alerts but it the only way to get the input box is to do a reply.
Can't start a new thread as after the title bit theres nowhere to type.
Everything is fine on the desktop and newer tablet so it must be a phone setting...mustn't it. Any thoughts (apart from hoy the phone out and get a newer one) ?

edit. and now I've used the reply it hasn't copied what I replied to ??
should also say the post reply button is still there, just in a big white empty space.

Last edited:
My guess is the browser is too old, so if you can use an alternate browser on the phone it might be worth a try (eg. Try downloading Chrome or Firefox), but its also worthwhile trying to clear the cache on the browser if you can find out how to do that,

My guess is the browser is too old, so if you can use an alternate browser on the phone it might be worth a try (eg. Try downloading Chrome or Firefox), but its also worthwhile trying to clear the cache on the browser if you can find out how to do that,
just tried it on Firefox and its all looking fine.
thank you.

Anyone else having this issue - Alert counter doesn't clear when I click and show the alerts - ONLY if I actually click each of the individual alerts does the number go down.

Clicking the popup box does make them turn read (i.e. no longer in bold), but the counter remains.

Opera browser (Chromium-based)
Windows 10
Yes it’s doing my head in !

I’ve noticed a few weird/different things with alerts as I use them to navigate the forums more than other methods.

1. Clicking an alert doesn’t clear it’s read status. There is still a star next to it in the list. I thought the stars only clear on my next visit to the site, but I’ve just checked and they’ve cleared after me clicking the alert button a few times, but this doesn’t always happen). The alert number however (the number the appears next to the bell icon) is correct and correctly shows my actual unread alerts but it’s difficult to know which ones are actually unread.

2. The alerts move. It’s bizarre. If I click one of the unread ones and read the post, when I go back to the alerts, it’s in a different place. It’s not consistent, or doesn’t seem to be so can’t work it out. I thought it moves to the bottom of the list so that unread alerts stay at the top but because number 1, I’m not sure. However if I look at my list right now, they’re not in the order I read them, so they’re not moving to the bottom. It seems to be random.

3. Sometimes the text under the alert “Read X minutes ago” is incorrect. Often when I go into the alerts it immediately says I’ve read something just now that I’ve definitely not.

I’ll keep using them and try to figure stuff out.

Just checked the preferences page, and seems that this behaviour isn't supposed to be happening.

• Alerts pop-up skips mark read / Do not mark alerts as read when viewing the alerts pop-up
  • Alerts page skips mark read / Do not mark alerts as read when viewing the alerts page
  • Alerts page skips summarizing / Do not summarize alerts when viewing the alerts page
Being unticked should mean those alerts go away once viewed, without needing to click them.

I just ticked them all - saved. Then unticked them all and saved again - just to see if this resets it.

Last edited:
Just checked the preferences page, and seems that this behaviour isn't supposed to be happening.

• Alerts pop-up skips mark read / Do not mark alerts as read when viewing the alerts pop-up
  • Alerts page skips mark read / Do not mark alerts as read when viewing the alerts page
  • Alerts page skips summarizing / Do not summarize alerts when viewing the alerts page
Being unticked should mean those alerts go away once viewed, without needing to click them.

I just ticked them all - saved. Then unticked them all and saved again - just to see if this resets it.

It isn't working correctly

Back