Alcoholism update 3 ish

I've actually gotten my drinking under the cosh and coping ok. My mental health has taken a hit....anyone had issue similar. No motivation, listless... I've fucked up too. Not through drink.
Obviously not knowing how you've fucked up but nobody in life doesn't fuck it, its how we move on from that fuck up that makes us, as long as you own up to it and do whatever you can to try and fix the fuck up its nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Well done on getting the drink under control though, thats a huge fuck up (of sorts) that you have admitted and sorted, be proud of that one more so than annoyed at the current fuck up, just shows you can solve anything.

I've actually gotten my drinking under the cosh and coping ok. My mental health has taken a hit....anyone had issue similar. No motivation, listless... I've fucked up too. Not through drink.
It's common. When I gave it up I was extremely lethargic for ages.I got a prescription for it - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the drug, but it helped immensely. Oh,and get some exercise.

Last edited:
Had a week off and felt great. Went to Geneva yesterday and got absolutely belted. Feel dreadful today so I think that's a good kick up the arse.

I wouldn’t say I was an “alcoholic” by any stretch of the imagination, but working away I found myself in the bar on the digs every night and it got to the point I was supping 3/4 pints a night. Ultimately become slobbish and distant with family back home. Towards the end of my stint away, I started going to the gym after getting off the bus instead of the bar and pretty quickly started feeling energised. The main thing I found really helped though, was just being with my family and going for walks away from the hustle and bustle of daily life and deleting social media. Still have social media deleted and would never work away again. Sorry I can’t be of anymore help, but I hope you start feeling better soon mate. Keep the faith.

Just to second what others have said.
I've found with problems in the past Exercise is key, clears the mind and the body of toxins and makes you feel alive. this may not happen overnight but keep at it and you will feel the benefits.
you and anyone else has our support, and I hope you sort whatever other 'things' are going on.

Exactly the opposite for me. I was classed as 'alcohol dependent', drank 6-8 pints of strong snakebite a day, with the odd bottle of red wine hoyed in. I stopped completely on New Years Day, and went on a colorie counting diet. Sheer determination, bloody mindednees and the effect it was having on my kids got me through it. First week was tough.

Four and a half months later I am on the longest period of my life alcohol free, aged 72. I've lost 3 stone. Never in my life have I felt better. Appetites returned, Depression and Anxiety gone, Motivation returned. Go to bed early (not when my alcohols gone). Get up earl and start looking for things to do, for myself and others.

Big help for me was alcohol free lager, still get the alcohol taste but without detrimental effects.

Keep at it, you can do it.

I get crippling depression and anxiety the night after I've been on the lash so it's only natural that your body is going to take some adjustment.
Think of your brain like any other limb; you've put it through the ringer and sprained it, it'll take time for all those chemicals to rebalance themselves.
If it was your ankle you'd just keep off it and let it heal, think of your mind the same way.
Also don't be afraid to nap. Get your headphones on, whack on Youtube and have a doze as and when it takes you.
And take some Vitamin D supplements.

Exactly the opposite for me. I was classed as 'alcohol dependent', drank 6-8 pints of strong snakebite a day, with the odd bottle of red wine hoyed in. I stopped completely on New Years Day, and went on a colorie counting diet. Sheer determination, bloody mindednees and the effect it was having on my kids got me through it. First week was tough.

Four and a half months later I am on the longest period of my life alcohol free, aged 72. I've lost 3 stone. Never in my life have I felt better. Appetites returned, Depression and Anxiety gone, Motivation returned. Go to bed early (not when my alcohols gone). Get up earl and start looking for things to do, for myself and others.

Big help for me was alcohol free lager, still get the alcohol taste but without detrimental effects.

Keep at it, you can do it.
Nice story, but most of a fair age have already left a trail of human destruction. The one ray of hope is that over the last ten years, the amout of young'uns drinking has plummeted.

I get crippling depression and anxiety the night after I've been on the lash so it's only natural that your body is going to take some adjustment.
Think of your brain like any other limb; you've put it through the ringer and sprained it, it'll take time for all those chemicals to rebalance themselves.
If it was your ankle you'd just keep off it and let it heal, think of your mind the same way.
Also don't be afraid to nap. Get your headphones on, whack on Youtube and have a doze as and when it takes you.
And take some Vitamin D supplements.
100% with the Vitamin D. It sounds trivial but I was feeling shite and a test I had showed that my Vitamin D levels were extremely low - less than half of the threshold for 'ok'. Got prescription-strength vitamin D tablets now and when they run out need to take a pill a day for life.

100% with the Vitamin D. It sounds trivial but I was feeling shite and a test I had showed that my Vitamin D levels were extremely low - less than half of the threshold for 'ok'. Got prescription-strength vitamin D tablets now and when they run out need to take a pill a day for life.
Quite frankly we Northerners should be taking it as standard anyway, we don't get enough sunlight up here.

I wonder how many people don’t even realise they could have a vitamin D deficiency and blame all sorts of other things.

Another thing what may seem trivial is to drink lots of water, little and often all day. not many can stick to this, it's one of the few ways your body can get rid of all sorts of toxins and the like.
Will be weeks before you feel the benefit but helps your body and your liver massively.

Another thing what may seem trivial is to drink lots of water, little and often all day. not many can stick to this, it's one of the few ways your body can get rid of all sorts of toxins and the like.
Will be weeks before you feel the benefit but helps your body and your liver massively.

I'm making a concentrated effort to drink more water. I might give myself a nicer drink of something (non-alc obviously) at lunch during the week, but I think I have a drink of water almost as something to do to distract myself from work!

Milk helped me no end. Used it as a meal replacement, when thirsty and it seemed to do the trick.
Helps your bones, helps your liver recover and shrink in size.

I've told my story many times on here so I'll not repeat it, but early to bed early to rise and take lots of exercise is the key.

I'm making a concentrated effort to drink more water. I might give myself a nicer drink of something (non-alc obviously) at lunch during the week, but I think I have a drink of water almost as something to do to distract myself from work!
Apparently it helps your brain function much better. Get into a habit of small drinks all day.

I wonder how many people don’t even realise they could have a vitamin D deficiency and blame all sorts of other things.
and yet holidays are still frowned upon in our society, as over indulgent and pointless. Then people wonder why so many people struggle with mental health issues...

Back