Alan Sugar

Aye. The glory days of the British Empire seen the working class folk of this country in workhouses, living in back to back houses in squalor, dying of cholera and sent off to foreign wars on behalf of wealthy interests. The dying days of the Empire saw the working classes sent off to fight foreign powers to try and keep the Empire alive.

Ironically, the halcyon days of ‘never had it so good’ in the 50s was the beginning of immigration from the commonwealth to Britain.

So whichever time people are harking back to, they wouldn’t be overly keen on.
Well said mate.

Which massive job provider is pulling out of the area?

A poor person today is far better off than any time in history, very few people are starving to death in the UK, life expectancy is higher than ever. Never been better.

Mate. We have foodbanks in the 21st century. Austerity measures are crippling people.

It just shows how easy it is for people to jump on a bandwagon if there are a few gobshites with a high enough profile

That'll be Farage. JRM, Johnson et al then.

I think he was just putting two and two together and showing people what they've risked and what they've lost.
It could have been any city, but as it happens, the majority of Sunderland voted leave. Nissan is a huge employer. Brexit has been a f***ing shambles from start to well we're not even finished. Nissan protected themselves from any uncertainty and have chosen to move on.
What he's saying is you reap what you sow.

It's not easy to hear, and it's come off a bit "Told you so" but it doesn't make him any less right.

I've already seen some clown on the "Wear the People" page say "we liberated europe".
I wonder if he knows what that "we" is comprised of

This ‘Britain liberated Europe’ thing is utterly baffling and infuriating. We kept ourselves free from Nazi occupation and the people living at the time showed tremendous stoicism during the Nazi bombardment of the country but we certainly didn’t liberate any of the other occupied nations without significant help from the USA and the USSR.

And even the term ‘liberation’ is debatable. Half of Europe fell into the hands of Stalinist tyranny and then decades of Communist and the other half (including Britain) was rebuilt with the billions of dollars of aid from the USA, making us forever answerable or dependent upon the other side of the Atlantic.

British exceptionalism is utterly insane in the 21st century. I understand it from the upper classes, they can look back on their spoils from the Empire and may have some kind of opportunity to continue with that, but the working classes? I’ve no idea what they are harking back to

British exceptionalism is utterly insane in the 21st century. I understand it from the upper classes, they can look back on their spoils from the Empire and may have some kind of opportunity to continue with that, but the working classes? I’ve no idea what they are harking back to

If they're told enough times what a wonderful time it was, they'll believe it even if they weren't there.

Fair point. Life isn't easy for everyone.

However life is still better, luxury things that were expensive are cheap, everyone has access to the internet instantly. Which wasn't even true in the 2000's.

If anything I'd say the gap between the richest and the poorest has increased since then. Yes many advancements have become available to everyone, but that's down to technology and demand and ease of distribution.

If anything I'd say the gap between the richest and the poorest has increased since then. Yes many advancements have become available to everyone, but that's down to technology and demand and ease of distribution.

The gap definitely has increased. But that's focussing on the wrong thing imo, I'm saying relative poverty is better than it ever was.

Obviously not , but no way should anyone find out about losing their jobs by social media.

Saying that in this day and age I really don’t know how you’d keep that information off social media in the first place.
I couldn't agree more but the real issue is up to 10,000 people losing their jobs and he appeared to have forgotten that in the outrage of hearing the news on the radio - France would be burning by now
Also have no idea how you can prevent it now though, as soon as more than a handful of people know you're shagged.

Fair point. Life isn't easy for everyone.

However life is still better, luxury things that were expensive are cheap, everyone has access to the internet instantly. Which wasn't even true in the 2000's.

Still better than when?

As an example we've had discussions on here in the past few days about emergency services workers working for longer, paying more in to pensions, to get less out.
New starters in loads of professions are getting nowhere near the perks of days gone by.

We appear to be regressing.
The golden age may well been and gone. Every generation should be an improvement on the next but we appear to have saturated everything whilst the fat cats get fatter.

The gap definitely has increased. But that's focussing on the wrong thing imo, I'm saying relative poverty is better than it ever was.
A million people died premature deaths in the UK through poverty last year, so that gap is getting bigger by the day.

A million people died premature deaths in the UK through poverty last year, so that gap is getting bigger by the day.

Premature how? And what's the link to poverty? Did they starve or freeze?

I thought you meant this. Deliberately over the top with your wording to support your side of the argument. Jobs which were never here aren't going to be here, for a number of reasons, Brexit not being the biggest one.

Last edited:
I thought you meant this. Deliberately over the top with your wording to support your side of the argument. Jobs which were never here aren't going to be here, for a number of reasons, Brexit not being the biggest one.

I'm sure that will also be a comfort to people hoping to continue working at Nissan.

Nissan themselves have said Brexit is the factor! How can you ignore that?!

Back