Airbus A320 crashed in Karachi

Fell short coming back in again, hit houses on its final approach according to reports. Canny bit short mind.

The initial Flightradar map (albeit with limited data) showed it crashing as it went away from the airport. It may not be accurate. They don't have comprehensive coverage for PIA or Pakistan.

Controversial yet true.

Lay off Boris and lets all have a go at the Pakistan National Airline for a while eh.......
Now's not the time iirc..

I was just trying to highlight how quickly we've become immune to the numbers of dead yet a plane crashing gets headlines around the world. We've had 300 of them in the last couple of months.

Imagine surviving a plane crash. You’d make decent money from interviews and a book but The nightmares must be horrifying.

Some remember nowt. Was a program on the other week where they deliberately crashed a plane to understand what happens, where best to sit etc. Had survivors on that (on the show, not the deliberately crashed plane). One said he woke up, seen a big hole and legged it out. Few scratches and nowt else.

The initial Flightradar map (albeit with limited data) showed it crashing as it went away from the airport. It may not be accurate. They don't have comprehensive coverage for PIA or Pakistan.

One of the survivors us saying made an attempt to land, touched down and took off again, and that the pilot announced he was going to make another attempt and crashed heading in.

It's a strange one.

Last edited:

One of the survivors us saying made an attempt to land, touched down and took off again, and that the pilot announced he was going to make another attempt and crashed heading in.

It's a strange one.

Original reports were that it was flying from Karachi to Lahore and turned back with an issue. Now it seems it was a routine flight from Lahore to Karachi and that mayday was declared after the first attempt to land. Up to that point, all was fine. There's a real possibility that they forgot to put the wheels down, damaged the engines on touchdown, tried a go-around, and lost all power.

Original reports were that it was flying from Karachi to Lahore and turned back with an issue. Now it seems it was a routine flight from Lahore to Karachi and that mayday was declared after the first attempt to land. Up to that point, all was fine. There's a real possibility that they forgot to put the wheels down, damaged the engines on touchdown, tried a go-around, and lost all power.

Dear me. Do warnings now fly off? Should do if they don't. Although that's a fairly huge oversight if true.

Until I spoke to a stewardess about how busy they are I never realised that planes basically fly 24 hours a day.
The one we were on took off from Newcastle at 6am and flew to Tenerife and landed at 10am.
Spun round and took off at around 12 getting back to Newcastle around 5.
Quick spin and pick up Dalaman passengers for a 7pm take off and landed about midnight.
Another quick spin and took off at 2am getting back to the UK at 4/5am ready for the next Canaries flight.

Apparently the Canaries passengers want decent flight times, but the Turkey passengers accept crap flight times as it's cheaper.
Tui Thomson's have changed all their flights to lanzarote at crap times coming back 315am but plus side is doesn't leave till 1730 outward so can nick off from work without losing days holiday
Last year 315 delayed 90mins so got home just after 5 had to be in Blackpool for a works event by 2. We lased till 2200 then went back to hotel

Gear up landing unintentionally, they may have mixed up an overspeed warning with the gear up warning. Just the engines hit and not the fuselage. Lots of human factors issues, I'm hearing. Engines damaged due to a double bounce on the runway, failed on the last approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to forget to put the wheels down? Don’t give me something else to worry about when flying . I assumed they go down automatically

Is it possible to forget to put the wheels down? Don’t give me something else to worry about when flying . I assumed they go down automatically

There's a pre-landing checklist - one pilot reads the list, the other confirms everything is ready for landing (in the case of the gear, three green lights). There would also be an alarm as they closed in on the ground with the gear up.

It would be very odd - I think unprecedented - for the warning systems to fail. Pilot error is a more likely explanation. That said, PIA's planes had only just returned to service after weeks in mothballs, and it's possible that some systems had malfunctioned or hadn't been reactivated.

There's a pre-landing checklist - one pilot reads the list, the other confirms everything is ready for landing (in the case of the gear, three green lights). There would also be an alarm as they closed in on the ground with the gear up.

It would be very odd - I think unprecedented - for the warning systems to fail. Pilot error is a more likely explanation. That said, PIA's planes had only just returned to service after weeks in mothballs, and it's possible that some systems had malfunctioned or hadn't been reactivated.
Makes you wonder . Great point on the mothballing

Gear up landing unintentionally, they may have mixed up an overspeed warning with the gear up warning. Just the engines hit and not the fuselage. Lots of human factors issues, I'm hearing. Engines damaged due to a double bounce on the runway, failed on the last approach.

Forgot to mention - this is a precis of the CAA initial findings, which I've had sight of by a roundabout route.

Back