Airbnb your own place

So you want to add to the problem of pricing out locals in the housing market whilst simultaneously avoiding taxes?

AirBnB rentals will eventually come under a lot more scrutiny & get hefty tax bills due to the above.
To be fair I think there's a massive problem due to people (generally from London) getting second houses in "desirable" areas, making it difficult for people who actually live there to get on the property ladder. That needs to be looked at. This lad isn't suggesting anything of the sort though is he? He's a person looking to get a property to live in, he'll buy one place, live in it, but if it's going to be empty quite a bit he'd like to see if he can get some money from it as well. He'd likely buy it regardless, so he's not stopping anyone from getting on the ladder!

great stuff mate. Any tips?

are you just allowed to rent out as much as you want then?
It's really handy, you can customise pretty much anything. Pick and choose which days are available, which are not. You need to have your wits about you sometimes and juggling the calendar can interfere with life in general. The first year was a pretty steep learning curve. Having people leave and arrive in the same day can be hectic at times too. But overall it's been pretty good. I block out dates for myself, so it's kinda my part time holiday home now as well 😎

Then dont post on the thread then.

Was just offering advice based on my experience with them. I've used them a considerable amount over the years and always found them a bit sketchy to deal with, then earlier this year had the worst customer service of my life with them; they literally tried to steal my money. Lied and lied and lied, blatantly, even when presented with cold hard evidence, they just hung up on my. It was beyond ridiculous I was questioning my sanity. Got the money back eventually but probably spent 10-15 hours of my time in the process. Searched online to see if there was any advice it appears that it is pretty standard practice for them. I'll never use them again personally.

Yep cheers

90 day rule only in London I believe.

I wish I could afford to buy in London tbh.

Could you go halfas with someone. Bound to be one of the London SMBers whose looking for a property atm
:lol: I wouldn’t know how to avoid tax if I tried

any tips would be welcome
Get a, good accountant mate they should do the rest.

Depending on how much you earn look at IOM trusts and K2 schemes etc.

Last edited:
I would look at tynemouth like, me and the mrs have bought a house there just waiting for completion it’s a lovely area and with the grand hotel
Getting weddings etc you would always have desire for people wanting to stay all year round. It’s not too far when your home to watch the lads also or Durham cricket for that matter.

Also I can stick the in laws there when they come up 😂

Last edited:
I would look at tynemouth like, me and the mrs have bought a house there just waiting for completion it’s a lovely area and with the grand hotel
Getting weddings etc you would always have desire for people wanting to stay all year round. It’s not too far when your home to watch the lads also or Durham cricket for that matter.

Also I can stick the in laws there when they come up 😂

yeah it’s possible mate

never had a base in th north east so be nice to be closer to my folks now they are older

I could Probs afford tynemouth but would take up a lot of my savings, would like to hold some back in case things turn to shit

I’ve heard Whitley Bay is upcoming, it was on a big conde article in America and cullercoats obviously near tynemouth

what do you reckon to those places? Any demand? I looked on Airbnb and there are a few with loads of reviews and often booked up

yeah it’s possible mate

never had a base in th north east so be nice to be closer to my folks now they are older

I could Probs afford tynemouth but would take up a lot of my savings, would like to hold some back in case things turn to shit

I’ve heard Whitley Bay is upcoming, it was on a big conde article in America and cullercoats obviously near tynemouth

what do you reckon to those places? Any demand? I looked on Airbnb and there are a few with loads of reviews and often booked up
You could pick a 2 bedroom flat in tynemoutu for around £300k same as cullercoats at the moment if you go a tad further out to North Shields etc would be a bit cheaper but still a big demand.

Whitley bay is always busy but prices are creeping up a bit, what’s your budget if you don’t mind me asking pal?

Back