Airbnb your own place

The Rat

Striker
Anyone do this? maybe not with their family home but with another property?

I am thinking about buying a flat anyway, but I am gonna be abroad a lot for work next few years (covid permitting)

Was debating combining the 2 and maybe make some cash while I am away

Would need to buy in an area attractive to visitors obviously. Stayed in a lot of them over the years, so I reckon I could do it up that would make it attractive.

I am thinking about buying a flat anyway, but I am gonna be abroad a lot for work next few years (covid permitting)

Would need to buy in an area attractive to visitors obviously. Stayed in a lot of them over the years, so I reckon I could do it up that would make it attractive.
Depends where the flat is, there’s a limit on the number of nights a property can be short let via Airbnb etc in any year. It’s 90 days in London

Also, most leases forbid anything other than an AST of 6 months or more so you might need to look at freehold

Last edited:

if its a flat, check leasehold if want to do airbnb and also check mortgage too irrespective of property

Depends where the flat is, there’s a limit on the number of nights a property can be short let in any year. It’s 90 days in London

Interesting, type of things I need to know haha.

Will not be in London like thats for sure
if its a flat, check leasehold if want to do airbnb and also check mortgage too irrespective of property

Yeah need to ask before you buy

Will be a 1 or 2 bed is the plan.

So you want to add to the problem of pricing out locals in the housing market whilst simultaneously avoiding taxes?

AirBnB rentals will eventually come under a lot more scrutiny & get hefty tax bills due to the above.

Eh?

Not at all, it will be my home

How will I be avoiding taxes?
Vile company, vile customer service

Then dont post on the thread then.

So you want to add to the problem of pricing out locals in the housing market whilst simultaneously avoiding taxes?

AirBnB rentals will eventually come under a lot more scrutiny & get hefty tax bills due to the above.
But he might as well make hay while the sun shines.

All depends where it would be really.

Where you thinking OP?

I work remotely, so I am beyond flexible, so somewhere where demand might be

I was originally thinking Edinburgh, but they have just introduced new legislation so might not be worth it, Tynemouth and Margate, opposite ends of the coast, are in my initial views. I like both places to live, but I think I could have a lot of demand when I am away.

But as I say anywhere really, I have no ties.

Eh?

Not at all, it will be my home

How will I be avoiding taxes?

Then dont post on the thread then.

Because holiday homes become liable for business rates rather than council tax. But most of these AirBnB jobs, then qualify for small business relief so pay nowt. Councils in popular tourist areas are losing a lot of money because of it.

Then locals wanting to buy can't get a look in

Last edited:
But he might as well make hay while the sun shines.

Absolutely

but just to emphasise, it will also be my home and I will be in there the majority of the year.
Because holiday homes become liable for business rates rather than council tax. But most of these AirBnB jobs, then qualify for small business relief so pay nowt. Councils in popular tourist areas are losing a lot of money because of it.

Well take it up with them, not me like.

I fail to see how I will be "pricing out locals" when I am buying myself a flat to live in

I worked hard to earn this money.

Absolutely

but just to emphasise, it will also be my home and I will be in there the majority of the year.

Well take it up with them, not me like.

I fail to see how I will be "pricing out locals" when I am buying myself a flat to live in

I worked hard to earn this money.
You don’t need to justify yourself to anyone. You’ve got some decent advice already.

I work remotely, so I am beyond flexible, so somewhere where demand might be

I was originally thinking Edinburgh, but they have just introduced new legislation so might not be worth it, Tynemouth and Margate, opposite ends of the coast, are in my initial views. I like both places to live, but I think I could have a lot of demand when I am away.

But as I say anywhere really, I have no ties.
be careful with edinburgh got a really bad reputation with the locals, parties etc.

also keep it to airbnb , don't put it on other sites as these are visited by people banned from airbnb:D

Back