Ainsworth - Formal approach

We get won't promotion.....Yes, we're sadly lacking in a lot of area's, investment on players in January to make the play-offs is essential or it's another season in league 1 next.
We’ll make the play offs regardless. Isn’t enough good teams in the league to get close. Same as last season when you had the top 5 then a massive double digit point drop off.

Ah, but Wimbledon were a tough physical side, you never saw Vinnie Jones rolling around the ground pretending to be injured, they were just tough and intimidating. Iirc they weren't timewasters or cheats.
Wimbledon back in the day invented timewasting , they were masters of it.

Given our situation and other candidates, I’d be ok with this appointment.
Seemingly Millwall are keen on him, so may not be entirely down to us.
Also be reasonably happy with Stendel. Not arsed about the others mentioned so far

i think we will with the right manager. We don’t have wage room to make big signings in January, even with investment

Is the right manager gonna turn a team of slow plodders who can't pass a ball or handle any physicality, in to a fast pressing, physical attacking team?

If we peddle some plodders in January, there's room for more...
We’ll make the play offs regardless. Isn’t enough good teams in the league to get close. Same as last season when you had the top 5 then a massive double digit point drop off.

I'm not convinced.....

Last edited:
One thing that struck me about Ainsworth was how complimentary he was about Sunderland AFC when he was a pundit during our game in the cup against Port Vale last season. He spoke very highly of us and seemed extremely well informed. Following our home game against Wycombe, again he was very respectful and spoke highly about the club and fans.

I can't help but like him. He seems grounded, he's knowledgable and articulate, we could do a lot worse. I'd also be open to us appointing Stendel, Cook or Phillips after further consideration.

The game kicked off at 3pm and finished at around 5:12pm from memory. They took turns to feign injury everytime the ball went out. Some of the tackles were X rated and Watmore's last injury was a result. They were a horrible team and horrible to watch.
That little fat twat of a referee was a disgrace, they stood a man in front of every free kick, disputed every decision, moved the ball 10 yards further up the pitch. Their goalie was wasting time after the first 5 minutes. They were hideous, the match officials were just as bad. That said if he gets us out of this league he will be a hero.

One thing that struck me about Ainsworth was how complimentary he was about Sunderland AFC when he was a pundit during our game in the cup against Port Vale last season. He spoke very highly of us and seemed extremely well informed. Following our home game against Wycombe, again he was very respectful and spoke highly about the club and fans.

I can't help but like him. He seems grounded, he's knowledgable and articulate, we could do a lot worse. I'd also be open to us appointing Stendel, Cook or Phillips after further consideration.
I'm more than happy to take a chance on him like. Or the other 2 managers you've mentioned. Phillips is a no for me tho.

Hes cheap,mates with hill and davidson ,and anybody who plays more adventurously than ross should get our squad promoted!Also he will not play mcgeoch ...jobs his!

Hes cheap,mates with hill and davidson ,and anybody who plays more adventurously than ross should get our squad promoted!Also he will not play mcgeoch ...jobs his!

What makes you think someone who plays 4-3-3 so regularly wouldn’t fancy mcGeoch ?
Personally I think it’s the best option, sitting in behind Dobson and O’Nien

Wycombe fan in peace - watching developments with interest.

Ainsworth has done a superb job with us. From saving us from relegation out of the football league, we're now 2nd in league one 1/4 of the season in.
Always with one of the lowest budgets in the division.

He has a superb eye for a player, rough diamonds, loanees, and experienced players, he's good with all avenues. The idea of him with some money to burn as well, would really excite me as a Wycombe fan!

Don't flatter yourself that he couldn't deal with "Sunderland level" players either. We have players like Arrons from Newcastle, Smyth from QPR and there's been plenty of others like Mawson (Fulham), Ibe (now Bournemouth), and Eze (QPR) that he's managed who will be better than most/all of your players.

He'd get you working hard, get a good team spirit, but also be able to get you playing attacking football. Look at our goals scored columns, and how many times we've come back from 1 or 2 down over the last 2 years. We're never beaten.

He wouldn't be messing about playing Luke O Nien at right back either ;)

The big question of course is how patient your owners would be. Not very is our perception. If you're sacking a manager who is 6th in the league in October, I think that must set some alarm bells going.

It'll be an interesting few weeks ahead. Appalling timing for us, as we have a critical vote in the next few weeks on new ownership. Ainsworth is a big part of the owners vision.
With Millwall and Reading also lining up, this really be a squeaky bum time for us.

All the best (except for next weekend)

Reading are probably the one we fear the most in a way, as like yourselves have the big club, recent Premier league experience, but unlike you, are both currently in the championship, and are in the county he resides in!

We watch with interest...

What makes you think someone who plays 4-3-3 so regularly wouldn’t fancy mcGeoch ?
Personally I think it’s the best option, sitting in behind Dobson and O’Nien
Its all about opinions but do you mean 4:1:2:3 ? I personally dont think mcgeoch has the physicality for that role but many disagree...as i said its all about opinions and yours is as valid as mine . if he gets the job i firmly believe mcgeoch will be subs bench material and his contract will not be renewed.I will also be very happy to come on here and admit i was wrong should the ittle fella get the gig as you describe!

The more I look into this bloke's career, the more I think he'd be a good un. Wycombe never spent a single penny on transfer fees in his time there and have punched their weight at the same level as us.

Wycombe fan in peace - watching developments with interest.

Ainsworth has done a superb job with us. From saving us from relegation out of the football league, we're now 2nd in league one 1/4 of the season in.
Always with one of the lowest budgets in the division.

He has a superb eye for a player, rough diamonds, loanees, and experienced players, he's good with all avenues. The idea of him with some money to burn as well, would really excite me as a Wycombe fan!

Don't flatter yourself that he couldn't deal with "Sunderland level" players either. We have players like Arrons from Newcastle, Smyth from QPR and there's been plenty of others like Mawson (Fulham), Ibe (now Bournemouth), and Eze (QPR) that he's managed who will be better than most/all of your players.

He'd get you working hard, get a good team spirit, but also be able to get you playing attacking football. Look at our goals scored columns, and how many times we've come back from 1 or 2 down over the last 2 years. We're never beaten.

He wouldn't be messing about playing Luke O Nien at right back either ;)

The big question of course is how patient your owners would be. Not very is our perception. If you're sacking a manager who is 6th in the league in October, I think that must set some alarm bells going.

It'll be an interesting few weeks ahead. Appalling timing for us, as we have a critical vote in the next few weeks on new ownership. Ainsworth is a big part of the owners vision.
With Millwall and Reading also lining up, this really be a squeaky bum time for us.

All the best (except for next weekend)

Reading are probably the one we fear the most in a way, as like yourselves have the big club, recent Premier league experience, but unlike you, are both currently in the championship, and are in the county he resides in!

We watch with interest...
Tbf my friend your comment regarding alarm bells ringing sacking him at 6th doesn't wash . You answered your own doubt stating he has you 2nd spending nothing. Charlatan Ross had the biggest budget a d inherited a few good players at this level

Back